2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I add "might" because, as the reporting goes, they just put a quarter billion dollars into players to field a quality product, and instead they just got worse.

the last time the tigers had a big free agent splurge with avila they didnt get any better either.

maybe there is a common denominator here?  nyah.

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I didn't mind the trade at the time and am indifferent to it even now, but in retrospect it was kind of incredible how much Barnhart's acquisition was treated as a tremendous step forward at the position. Not just by the team but also by the media personalities who cover them.

When Rogers comes back, hopefully sometime before the end of the year, they really need to let him go

Yeah, I never understood the enthusiasm for him.  I get that he was considered to be plus defensively, but with his offense he would be an OK catcher, *maybe* a good one, but nothing to get excited about, even at his best.

22 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Yeah, I never understood the enthusiasm for him.  I get that he was considered to be plus defensively, but with his offense he would be an OK catcher, *maybe* a good one, but nothing to get excited about, even at his best.

A lot of groupthink, for sure.  I bought into the Twitter-inspired hype.  

I don't understand having any enthusiasm for Barnhardt.

Why? He was, and was always going to be...

Nothing more than a 1-year stop gap.

Maybe you're mistaking "Good, we got a guy who can cover us for a year and he's got a good glove and a little pop in his bat" for enthusiasm?

The prevailing opinion of Barnhart seemed to be he was a major league catcher and a decent stopgap who they got for a fringe prosoect.  If he hit this year the way he did most of his career, few would be complaining about him.  

I also like calling him "Pooch"

Edited by Tiger337

18 hours ago, JackPine said:

Is anyone else worried about skubal's forearm tightness?

Nice to see manning back today

Very much so, given that "forearm tightness" very often actually means "ucl damage" 

But, I could also see the Tigers exaggerating a little when really they didn't want to trade him or overwork him this year, so hopefully it's just that 

1 hour ago, gkelly said:

Methinks Hinch's reputation as a solid manager has more to do with garbage cans than anything else.

Well but I see it the opposite way, his reputation as a guy who can't lead a clubhouse has everything to do with the mutiny about the garbage cans.

"If you looked in the dictionary for major-league baseball player, the way it should be is David Eckstein. He does all the little things right. He's a student of the game." - Towers, Kevin. San Diego Padres General Manager. San Diego News Network. Sullivan, Mike. Staff Writer. Eckstein defines hustle, other baseball intangibles. 27 April 2009.

• Like 1