2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

So then this:

"The only way he does not play is if he and he alone decides not to"

... is an untrue statement.

Isn't it?

No it is not the same thing as you are saying at all.  You have been writing essays about negotiations and settlements under which he is somehow forced out and somehow he doesn't play even if he wants to and believes himself healthy enough to do so.  I'm saying that that has always been pure fantasy and if he wants to play, he will.  Of course they can DFA him, they can do that today.  That's hardly something that I am "missing".

They aren't going to DFA Cabrera.  This isn't the Detroit Lions who treat their franchise players with contempt.  The Tigers will be lucky to win 65 games next season, so I doubt if Ilitch really cares.  They will just ride with him, let him DH 110 games or so and have a nice little ceremony for him at the end of the season.  

Just now, Jim Cowan said:

No it is not the same thing as you are saying at all...

Yes it is.

Just now, Jim Cowan said:

... You have been writing essays about negotiations and settlements under which he is somehow forced out and somehow he doesn't play even if he wants to and believes himself healthy enough to do so.  I'm saying that that has always been pure fantasy and if he wants to play, he will...

And I have not said ONE word about negotiations or settlements. That is from other posters.

Unless I am mistaken, you won't find a single post from me that says we can "negotiate" with him or find a settlement.

My statement has always been exactly this: If the team wants to move on, they pay him his $40 Mill and tell him to stay home. That's it. I've never said otherwise. There are multiple ways to do that. Some nice. Some not so nice.

But Miggy has NO CONTROL over the team's decision. He does NOT play unless the team agrees to let him play. You're under some delusion that Miggy is all-powerful and gets to tell the team whether to play him, regardless of whether they want to or not. It doesn't matter whether he "wants" to play... Your statement is:

False.

I understand that.    Nowhere did I ever say he wasn't going to get paid.  

Cabrera has always been a loyal Detroit Tiger and the organization isn't going to embarrass him by releasing him, etc.  If the Tigers had any chance of being a contender next season, maybe they ask him to retire, etc. but it really isn't going to make any difference at all because they will be fortunate to win 65-70 games, they aren't going to sign a big bat to play DH next season, and there isn't anyone in the minors that Cabrera will be blocking.

Edited by gkelly
  • Like 1

Just now, gkelly said:

Cabrera has always been a loyal Detroit Tiger and the organization isn't going to embarrass him by releasing him, etc.  If the Tigers had any chance of being a contender next season, maybe they ask him to retire, etc. but it really isn't going to make any difference at all because they will be fortunate to win 65-70 games, they aren't going to sign a big bat to play DH next season, and there isn't anyone in the minors that Cabrera will be blocking.

He could very easily embarrass HIMSELF... by PLAYING next year.

5 minutes ago, gkelly said:

He certainly doesn't have a lot of skills left, but the FO and ownership isn't going to release him.  Whether he embarrasses himself or not, he wouldn't be the first over the hill superstar who did that.

They wouldn't release him.

They would "retire" him and ask him to be a goodwill ambassador, or a bench coach (to be around the guys...). Or they would 60-day IL him. Or they could tell him to just "stay home". There are multiple ways to not play him. Some nicer than others.

But they will pay him $40 Mill no matter what. They will NOT release him. And if they don't want him to play... again, some paths are nicer than others...

17 hours ago, Scottwood said:

They'll probably just put Cabrera on the 60 day DL next year and pay him that way. It would be similar to what the Wings did with Zetterberg at the end of his career. I'd guess the Tigers would then get some money relief through insurance this way?

Either way, I kind of doubt Illitch is going to open up the pocket book this offseason given what happened this past offseason with the Baez and Rodriguez deals. Any improvement will have to be internal or through trades or small FA signings.

I've talked myself into thinking the Tigers are going to "promote" Avila to some figure head position and then recruit Will Rhymes to be the new GM and overhaul player development throughout the organization and also better intertwine the scouting department with player development. That has been his main task with the Dodgers. He has a lot of connections with the Tigers, and he's kind of stuck with where he is with the Dodgers with no chance of advancement given the ages of the execs ahead of him. It's also a big leap to go from a director of player development to running an organization, but that's probably the best case scenario of someone the Tigers would be able to recruit here at this point.

Teams might be able to do roster manipulations as competitive gamesmanship or even to pull one over on the Players, but I have my doubts as to whether they can do so to get insurance companies to cough up millions in proceeds. They may even have their own medical staff review Cabrera to ensure that it’s a legitimate injury. And it probably can’t be the same kind of injury he’s ever gone on the list for before, because the policy probably has a carve-out for that.

The Rangers had Prince Fielder on the DL for a year because their insurance on their share only kicked in if he was injured and not released. They worked it out with the insurance company to release him and freed up a 40 man roster spot. Assuming that Tigers do have insurance. Assuming that they cannot avail themselves of it if Miggy says he can play.

30 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

The Rangers had Prince Fielder on the DL for a year because their insurance on their share only kicked in if he was injured and not released. They worked it out with the insurance company to release him and freed up a 40 man roster spot. Assuming that Tigers do have insurance. Assuming that they cannot avail themselves of it if Miggy says he can play.

Insurance pays way less than you think. Nowhere worth the scenario you propose.

Playing games with hiding him on the roster defeats the purpose.  Either you DFA him or you make him a part of the team in some regard.  I vote for the latter, but in a reduced playing time scenario.  Let him retire as planned—we’ve gone this long, why sully the relationship at this point?  He retires as a Tiger on his own terms.  We have enough versatile position players, that we can carry a part-time DH.

• Thanks 1

It’s funny that Miggy represented Tiger Baseball excellence for so long and now he is associated with Tiger ineptness. It just “feels” that he needs to retire before we can truly have a fresh start. I will be disappointed if he tries to play in 2023. It’s embarrassing at this point.