2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

4 hours ago, casimir said:

Oh, I apologize, its perfectly acceptable to have a one legged DH.  Please proceed with the Cabrera slobberfest.

Dude...

You KNOW I'M NOT the one involved in any Miggy-slobberfest. I've been calling for his retirement since last year. I gave up when everyone pointed out how close he was to his milestones...

But about two seconds after he got his 3,000 hit I was back on the RETIRE MIGGY bandwagon.

You're calling out the wrong guy... 'cause it ain't me.

But...

Also...

In my honest opinion, he didn't look like he was dogging it to first. He was giving it his best it looked like... even if his best is slow as molasses. And since I'm not a dishonest person... I'm going to call 'em like I see 'em.

Now, I hope you don't have a problem with honesty...

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Miggy looks broken and I still believe he will retire with full pay. He is a baseball player that can no longer perform and I don't think he wants to be a carnival attraction for the fans. This reality will set in and the new GM will, hopefully and delicately, provide a narrative that allows him to retire with dignity. 

This is what I want.

Let him be the "Goodwill Ambassador" of 2023 for the Tigers. Fully retired, fully paid (his $40 Mill), and doing whatever he can to help out the team off the field and allowing the team and the fans to also appreciate him off the field. Or on the field for ceremonies and such...

Celebrate him next year... just as not a player on the team...

IMO.

59 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This is what I want.

Let him be the "Goodwill Ambassador" of 2023 for the Tigers. Fully retired, fully paid (his $40 Mill), and doing whatever he can to help out the team off the field and allowing the team and the fans to also appreciate him off the field. Or on the field for ceremonies and such...

Celebrate him next year... just as not a player on the team...

IMO.

I think he likes the camaraderie of being on a team.  Guys, he’s coming back next season.

meh.  i like miggy and i still am more interested in watching him hit than almost anyone else on the team.

greene because he might be the future, baez cause he might hit a home run, and cabrera because he's one of my favorite tigers of all time.

nobody else left on this team is any good or remotely interesting.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

meh.  i like miggy and i still am more interested in watching him hit than almost anyone else on the team.

greene because he might be the future, baez cause he might hit a home run, and cabrera because he's one of my favorite tigers of all time.

nobody else left on this team is any good or remotely interesting.

If a new GM comes in next year from outside of the org, should he have latitude to make changes that could impact Miguel's playing time / roster spot if he feels that advances the ballclub?

IDK. I don't watch guys hit just to watch them stand at the plate and then walk back. When the expectation is that nothing is likely to happen, there is nothing to hold my interest. So I don't find it very interesting to watch a guy with 515 OPS (since July 1) hit regardless of what his career history was.

If he were to go on another run like in May/June that would change my mind. But it seems to be the case that whatever reserve of health the knee had coming into the season has been depleted with little hope of the situation changing again during the season.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, mtutiger said:

If a new GM comes in next year from outside of the org, should he have latitude to make changes that could impact Miguel's playing time / roster spot if he feels that advances the ballclub?

i dont know, sure?

i like watching miggy because he's my favorite player on the team.  i also think he deserves the respect to be on the team as long as he's under contract and to play as long as he's healthy.

if dont think you cut the guy.  sorry that you signed him to a massive contract extension.  stick him on the IL if he cant physically play.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK. I don't watch guys hit just to watch them stand at the plate and then walk back. 

says the guy who has watched this team all season.

why are you watching this team at all?  you've just described their entire lineup!

• Haha 1

I am interested in looking at Cabrera's historic numbers on Baseball-Reference and comparing him with other great hitters. Right now, all he is doing is making those numbers worse.  On the current team, I am most interested in Manning and Greene.  I am somewhat interested in Baez, but I think he is reaching the point in his career where his cold streaks will outnumber his hot streaks.  I have some personal favorites like Alexander and Baddoo who probably won't be very good, but I pull for them.  They have a lot of good relievers, but relievers are not very interesting on a terrible team.  They are also volatile from year to year and they should have traded more of them.  

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Dude...

You KNOW I'M NOT the one involved in any Miggy-slobberfest. I've been calling for his retirement since last year. I gave up when everyone pointed out how close he was to his milestones...

But about two seconds after he got his 3,000 hit I was back on the RETIRE MIGGY bandwagon.

You're calling out the wrong guy... 'cause it ain't me.

But...

Also...

In my honest opinion, he didn't look like he was dogging it to first. He was giving it his best it looked like... even if his best is slow as molasses. And since I'm not a dishonest person... I'm going to call 'em like I see 'em.

Now, I hope you don't have a problem with honesty...

The slobberfest wasn’t directed at you necessarily.

As for Cabrera running the play out, yeah, he might have been busting his ass down the line.  But if he was busting his ass down the line and didn’t make it after the shortstop kicked the ball about, what, 30, 40 feet away and still tossed him out at 1B on a not too close play?  That’s a guy that shouldn’t be running bases.

The Cabrera discussion doesn't exist in a vacuum. In theory there is a team trying to win games - or not. Unless they hire another totally incompetent GM, I think we can be pretty sure that he will be able to come up with a DH who will be far more productive than Cabrera (assuming there is no miracle forthcoming for the knee). At that point you have only one question - are you trying to win games or not? The only way a one-legged Cabrera should be in the line-up next season is if a new GM comes in committed to another tank job. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The Cabrera discussion doesn't exist in a vacuum. In theory there is a team trying to win games - or not. Unless they hire another totally incompetent GM, I think we can be pretty sure that he will be able to come up with a DH who will be far more productive than Cabrera (assuming there is no miracle forthcoming for the knee). At that point you have only one question - are you trying to win games or not? The only way a one-legged Cabrera should be in the line-up next season is if a new GM comes in committed to another tank job. 

I'm assuming once Meadows comes back... if he can stay healthy... That he's the 2023 DH. We have other OF'ers who can actually field the position and Meadows will have to sneak into the OF maybe once a week. Other than that, he should DH or the DH should rotate between lots of other players (not named Miggy) next year.

5 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Miggy looks broken and I still believe he will retire with full pay. He is a baseball player that can no longer perform and I don't think he wants to be a carnival attraction for the fans. This reality will set in and the new GM will, hopefully and delicately, provide a narrative that allows him to retire with dignity. 

This is what I am expecting as well.  I think the only reason he backtracked a little bit recently was because he wants to make sure he gets his paycheck next year.  I think he is ready to be done.  And it would benefit the Tigers not to force him to come back just to collect his salary next year.  Pay him his money and do what's best for Miggy and the team.  

Edited by Hart

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Bingo.

It's hard to see now given how collectively pathetic they are *at this moment*, but it's not that hard to see a scenario where a GM wants to make moves to overhaul a roster and how Miggy might exist in tension to that goal.