2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

38 minutes ago, casimir said:

Oh, I apologize, its perfectly acceptable to have a one legged DH.  Please proceed with the Cabrera slobberfest.

they score 0 runs and almost get no hit and your focus is on whether your dh can beat out a grounder to end the game?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, casimir said:

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/tigers-vs-white-sox/2022/08/12/661384#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=661384

Unacceptable.  There's no reason a baseball player shouldn't have legged this out and gotten themselves on as the tying run in a 2-0 baseball game.

The problem lies with Hinch. Cabrera shouldn’t be in the lineup with his physical restraints. But, on the other hand, I don’t believe Hinch would raise the concern for any player on the team, healthy or not. 

19 minutes ago, buddha said:

they score 0 runs and almost get no hit and your focus is on whether your dh can beat out a grounder to end the game?

The team as a whole sucks.  Keeping a broken down athlete on the team that cannot even jog at a brisk pace doesn't help matters.  He's clearly unhealthy, there has been chatter about his right knee.  Maybe it'd be wise to have that thing taken care of now before next season begins?  A responsible front office would park his out of shape and injured ass on the injured list and call a functional athlete up to replace his .... checking stats again..... 88 OPS+.  88 OPS+?  Oh, but he smiles pretty for the camera and he's yucking it up for his teammates and he's the previous owner's pet and there's absolutely no way to replace that kind of offensive production.

They score 0 runs a lot and they have to carry the immobile part time DH with an OPS+ of 88?

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

The team as a whole sucks.  Keeping a broken down athlete on the team that cannot even jog at a brisk pace doesn't help matters.  He's clearly unhealthy, there has been chatter about his right knee.  Maybe it'd be wise to have that thing taken care of now before next season begins?  A responsible front office would park his out of shape and injured ass on the injured list and call a functional athlete up to replace his .... checking stats again..... 88 OPS+.  88 OPS+?  Oh, but he smiles pretty for the camera and he's yucking it up for his teammates and he's the previous owner's pet and there's absolutely no way to replace that kind of offensive production.

They score 0 runs a lot and they have to carry the immobile part time DH with an OPS+ of 88?

a functional front office would have someone to take his place, but they dont considering hia broken down ass is still one of the best hitters on the team.

he's also been your greatest player since kaline and has earned the right to go out on his terms, imo.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

a functional front office would have someone to take his place, but they dont considering hia broken down ass is still one of the best hitters on the team.

he's also been your greatest player since kaline and has earned the right to go out on his terms, imo.

He hasn't earned the right to go out on his terms.  And if he demands to play 1B and hit 3rd next season, they should give in to him?  What if he packs on another 20 over the offseason and his healthy run in spring training is the same as his unhealthy trot to 1B last night?  Oh well, he's earned the right to be an abomination of a professional athlete?

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

He hasn't earned the right to go out on his terms.  And if he demands to play 1B and hit 3rd next season, they should give in to him?  What if he packs on another 20 over the offseason and his healthy run in spring training is the same as his unhealthy trot to 1B last night?  Oh well, he's earned the right to be an abomination of a professional athlete?

You’re not wrong, but I’m sure they realize this season is a lost cause and will ride it out with him.  He’s not blocking anyone who is ready, unless Carpenter starts to heat up.  I suspect he’ll get a bunch of games off the rest of the way and they’ll reset with the new GM after the season and figure out his role for ‘23.

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

he's not an "abomination as a professional athlete," lol.  he was hitting .300 not that long ago.

unfortunately for the tigers, his body cant keep it up and he probably needs to be on the il.

1 minute ago, kdog said:

{Whispers}: If tork wasn't so bad, we would have to look at why Greene hasn't done much either.

true, but what we really need to think about is why some of us had such high expectations for rookies.

and also why the hitting coach hasnt been changed yet.

5 minutes ago, kdog said:

{Whispers}: If tork wasn't so bad, we would have to look at why Greene hasn't done much either.

If Riley can hit 250 his 1st half season in the majors that would still be pretty promising. The big test for him is yet to come: Will he start falling off as the grind and the scouting book on him both get longer?

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, kdog said:

I don't know.   I don't think he should be leading off, but he's as good as anyone else they've got.   He's put into the middle of one of the worst lineups of all time, that's not going to help either. 

I just want everyone fired.    I mean everyone.   

But who is the guy hiring?    I don't trust him with this at all. 

1989 - 2005 all over again.   

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't think I've ever seen a season where more things have gone wrong.  

These pitching injuries.   What the hell is going on here?   I've never seen anything close to this.  

The rebuild hasn't even started yet.  

They've used 29 pitchers this year.   

You can never know for sure whether you are suffering a statistical anomaly (i.e. bad luck) or creating the problem yourself. You may decide to change something in the system and then things get better, but if your luck was bad they probably would have gotten better anyway. That said, at some point the odds of luck being as bad as it has been start to get pretty long and you better be examining your program. Are they teaching grips that create too much stress? Wrong throwing schedule, wrong conditioning program. They better have it all on the table.

Miggy looks broken and I still believe he will retire with full pay. He is a baseball player that can no longer perform and I don't think he wants to be a carnival attraction for the fans. This reality will set in and the new GM will, hopefully and delicately, provide a narrative that allows him to retire with dignity. 

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

His job is to hit.  He does nothing else.  The other 8 players do things other than hit.  

"Hit" might be a bit subjectively vexxing given what we are seeing out of the team as a whole, but you are spot on.

As many times as people want to cry and complain about CastroW out in the OF, its certainly due in some part to Cabrera being unavailable to do anything defensively.  CastroH shouldn't be playing as much, but guess what, they need to put someone at 1B.  Candelario needs a day off, or Schoop needs a day off, or this, or that, or another.... Well, they're dealing with a 12 position player roster plus Cabrera.  2 Cs, so a bench IF and a bench OF.  The Castros are necessary because they can play multiple positions.  And for as much as Shep likes to speak of how the Tigers have that roster flexibility, they really don't.  The Castros can move around, and that's about it.  Oh, Schoop can play 1B?  Yippee.  There's only so many moves this dumpster fire can make on a day-to-day basis or in game moves.

Cabrera will do nothing in the field.  If he could, he'd have played a few games at 1B by now.  But it clearly isn't going to happen.  And even with a healthy start for 2023, he probably won't be of any defensive value again.  But they have to carry his worn out carcass because people like memories of what used to be rather than acknowledge the actual situation at hand.

This team sucks so much right now.  But, hey, they've got Cabrera to goof around from the dugout for the camera.  And I guess the main point to some is that Cabrera has earned this for some reason or another.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

This team sucks so much right now.  But, hey, they've got Cabrera to goof around from the dugout for the camera.  And I guess the main point to some is that Cabrera has earned this for some reason or another.

He may have earned it from a player perspective, but that doesn't mean fans have to like seeing it.  As someone who cares about baseball history as much as watching the contemporary era, I will always remember Cabrera as one of the elite hitters in team history.  Seeing him play beyond his usefulness doesn't help his legacy.  

• Like 1

The thing about Miguel is that, given how absolutely crummy this offense is, you absolutely could countenance him in the lineup earlier in the year when he was in "Singuel" form. But when he's going 2-35? Really?

When Spencer Torkelson has similar stretches, people were demanding he be sent to Toledo. Other players recieve heat constantly for these sorts of stretches, whether it be Baez or Candelario or Schoop or (before his trade) Grossman. But with Miguel, it's like we have to tip-toe around it or qualify it with things like "well, he's still the best hitter in the lineup" when, *at this moment*, he really isn't (even with how bad they are).

I dont expect him to go anywhere before the end of the year, even with roster churn we potentially could see down the stretch, the team has signaled their willingness to let him stay active for now. But going into 2023, with a new GM and the likelihood of roster changes coming from that? A conversation should be had within the org about whether Miguel is worth carrying... certainly if I was Josh Byrnes or Pete Putila or whoever, I'd want to have it anyway.

Edited by mtutiger

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Yes, he should be taken out back and shot.

/s

• Haha 1