2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

I saw this and thought the same.  Put Cabrera on the IL, let Reyes get the DH role for a bit.

Tigers are #2 in waiver priority, so they would likely have the opportunity... He's had a bad year and Ks too much, but this team badly needs needs someone who can hit for power. Not just for the rest of this year but next year as well

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Tigers are #2 in waiver priority, so they would likely have the opportunity... He's had a bad year and Ks too much, but this team badly needs needs someone who can hit for power. Not just for the rest of this year but next year as well

His BB% and HR% are down considerably and his SO% is up considerably.  I don’t trust the hitting coaches, but it’s worth a try for the rest of this season.

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Mechanical Man has a point...

I was only 9 at the time, but was at the Double Header when they retired Greenberg and Gehringer’s numbers.  How I wish I had kept the poster they gave out rather than hanging it in my “fort”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Mechanical Man has a point...

I was at that game. I didn’t really know what was going on but I remember it.  I was thinking “who are these old guys?  Let’s get the game going”.  To think I saw those players up close. We had seats behind the dugout. Dang. 

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Any precedent for this?  Not sure how managerial skills transfer.

Before becoming manager in Houston, AJ had gained some front office experience over the years with AZ/SD, enough to say he has skills in both areas.

I'm kinda with RandyMarsh though, seems better to bring in someone from the outside. But going with AJ would at least be better than status quo anyway.

Edited by mtutiger

“Uninformed speculation” seems a little harsh. It’s not as though nobody has ever talked about Hinch as a GM so Laurila must be pulling it out of his butt; and he did qualify it about as much as he needed to to keep it from coming off as a prediction. That said, Hinch is on record from decades ago as wanting to eventually be a GM, and he does have front office experience already, so while there doesn’t appear to be any leaks suggesting such a move might be imminent, it’s not completely unfounded to speculate that Hinch could end up not only leading some front office, but this one.

Right now, the Tigers have three assistant GMs in David Chadd, Sam Menzin, and Jay Sartori which, I don’t know how common that is, but seems a bit odd to me. I think the odds that one of the three will succeed Avila is high, and given the stark difference in approach between Chadd (a Leyland compatriot) and the other two (data science-driven), the stakes for the future of the franchise of choosing the right replacement seems really, really high to me.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

“Uninformed speculation” seems a little harsh. It’s not as though nobody has ever talked about Hinch as a GM so Laurila must be pulling it out of his butt; and he did qualify it about as much as he needed to to keep it from coming off as a prediction. That said, Hinch is on record from decades ago as wanting to eventually be a GM, and he does have front office experience already, so while there doesn’t appear to be any leaks suggesting such a move might be imminent, it’s not completely unfounded to speculate that Hinch could end up not only leading some front office, but this one.

Agreed, it's speculation but not completely uninformed. My bad.

My response was more in regards to buddha's comment about AJ's agent getting out in front of this mess... I suspect that's going to someone like Rosenthal or Passan if that's the case, not to a writer at Fangraphs.

If we think AJ is a flawed manager, I don’t want to fix it by moving him to the front office.  That’s classic corporate America.

I’m in the camp of going external for a GM and let that individual determine who is the best manager.

After watching the Whitaker ceremony, and Avila and Ilitch’s muted roles, I’m feeling better that a change is coming.  They aren’t oblivious to what fan sentiment is—getting rid of Avila allows Ilitch to start to restore his public persona, if that matters to him.  If you’ll recall, Mike was a pariah for a while, but he was able to turn that around, starting with bringing Dombrowski in and opening up his wallet. Of course, winning ultimately fixes everything.