4/19 6:40 Yankees @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

The way the Tigers started this game, they were lucky it wasn't one of those games where Harold Castro would be lobbing ephus pitches at the end.

Trying to decide whether that would have been preferable... at least then I would have turned it off instead of having false hope. Lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - It's  gonna irritate me when they change the rules to protect guys that only want to hit that way.

Precisely.  What's next, if a hitter goes down 0-2, they get to pick one quadrant of the strike zone where the rest of the pitches must go to?

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

The way the Tigers started this game, they were lucky it wasn't one of those games where Harold Castro would be lobbing ephus pitches at the end.

Trying to decide whether that would have been preferable... at least then I would have turned it off instead of having false hope. Lol 

At least we got to see Cole flake out, and at a reasonable hour, too.

12 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

Dont care how good Barnhart is behind the plate, his bat isnt good enough to justify him getting the most starts.  I'd rather see a mix of Haase and Garnuea getting the split, at least they both seem to have major league AB's when I watch them.

LOL, so funny that you should say exactly that!

12 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Gerrit Cole is a whiny bitch.

I really dislike him. And his prima Donna attitude.

In truth, this Yankees team has been very hard to watch (&root for) for more than a couple of years now.  

Just stopped in to say hello to you guys (& gals), will probably just continue with my binge watching of Homeland tonight. (I’m nothing if not dreadfully behind the times. lol)

Gerrit Cole is a whiny bitch, and MLB Network is a whiny bitch Yankee-fluffing network.

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

He usually has an OPS of around .700.  That is about average for a catcher.  

Not for a starting/lead catcher.  Out of the 30 catchers who had over 300 PAs last year and the 32 catchers who had over 600 PA between 2019-21, Barnhart was at an 80 wRC+ and the median was 97-99, where Haase was last year.

Tucker's 80 wRC+ puts him at the bottom end of the top 32 starting catchers from 2019-21, and in the bottom tier in 2021.  You could argue with the term "black hole", but he is a crummy hitter.

18 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Not for a starting/lead catcher.  Out of the 30 catchers who had over 300 PAs last year and the 32 catchers who had over 600 PA between 2019-21, Barnhart was at an 80 wRC+ and the median was 97-99, where Haase was last year.

Tucker's 80 wRC+ puts him at the bottom end of the top 32 starting catchers from 2019-21, and in the bottom tier in 2021.  You could argue with the term "black hole", but he is a crummy hitter.

That is a good point.  Still, 80 wrc+ is not a black hole for a catcher.  I think you'd see a black hole if Garneau became the starting catcher for a full season.  Given Barnhart's 80 wrc+, his platoonability, his good defensive repuation and the fact that they didn't give up anything of value, I'd say it looked like a pretty good move. Of course, if his defensive reputation is not real or his offense falls off the cliff, he won't help them.  

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That is a good point.  Still, 80 wrc+ is not a black hole for a catcher.  I think you'd see a black hole if Garneau became the starting catcher for a full season.  Given Barnhart's 80 wrc+, his platoonability, his good defensive repuation and the fact that they didn't give up anything of value, I'd say it looked like a pretty good move. Of course, if his defensive reputation is not real or his offense falls off the cliff, he won't help them.  

I don't know that the alternative world is one where Garneau would be starting catcher for a full season - stands to reason that Haase would be starting most games without Barnhart. Offensively at least, hard not seeing Haase as less of a black hole.

Of course, there is a tradeoff defensively with Haase starting... I know part of the enthusiasm about bringing Barnhart in was his ability to frame pitches, play defense behind the plate and to call a game. But at the end of the day, I'm not sure the Tigers wouldn't have been better off trying to acquire more of a depth option (ie. Luke Maile, Steven Vogt, etc.) versus Barnhart with the idea that he would be everyday starter. Or just live with the situation as it was (ie. Haase, Garneau, Lavarnway, Dingler).

It's early though and maybe Barnhart starts progressing toward his mean.... but still can't help the feeling that he's been underwhelming, particularly for a guy for which there was a lot of praise for acquiring and for a guy where extension rumors have been swirling.

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's early though and maybe Barnhart starts progressing toward his mean....

It is obvious he is very good as a receiver. Not much gets by him so no over rating there, but his arm has been underwhelming so far. I'm not going to panic over the bat after 20 PAs - it mostly an issue now because so much of the rest of the team is also slumping.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

10 hits against 16 walks in the game. I'm curious what Moscoso's umpire card looks like.

I just checked. There's data for ever game yesterday except the tigers/Yankees. 

Someone is doing Moscoso a favor by keeping that game off his record

• Like 1