The Idiocracy of Donald J. Trump

chasfh

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What happened to Democrats in Disarray cause it sure seems like the other side is in a full scale meltdown. Might Republicans be grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory?

As someone that believes if you want to win, you win the folks in the middle, this GOP disarray might be the best thing for them.  I doubt your vote will be swayed and I really can't think of any GOP candidates i'd vote for at this time as my requirement is basically they need to be vocal in their disowning of Trump.  But with that, folks in the middle, the ones that tend to blame who is in charge regardless, seeing the civil war within the GOP might make them think that the GOP realizes it went to far in support of Trump. 

34 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

But with that, folks in the middle, the ones that tend to blame who is in charge regardless, seeing the civil war within the GOP might make them think that the GOP realizes it went to far in support of Trump. 

Possible, but only assuming the anti-Trump sides loses that civil war. If non-Trumper candidates can't defeat the Trumpers in the primaries then no one will be putting 'the party went too far' into the past tense.  Right anti-Trumpers winning primaries across the board is a pretty, pretty big IF. Trumpers appear to be in control of most state parties.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Possible, but only assuming the anti-Trump sides loses that civil war. If non-Trumper candidates can't defeat the Trumpers in the primaries then no one will be putting 'the party went too far' into the past tense.  Right anti-Trumpers winning primaries across the board is a pretty, pretty big IF. Trumpers appear to be in control of most state parties.

But that's the thing, you and I pay attention to those specifics.  The average person is upset by the things Trump does, but is also upset at the hypocrisy from the left, and then vote based on the fact that whatever is happening now, is worse than it was before.

11 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What happened to Democrats in Disarray cause it sure seems like the other side is in a full scale meltdown. Might Republicans be grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory?

Depends in part whether this news story can maintain its hotness into November.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Exactly. The red hats have an entire media ecosystem blasting out support for them and their idol, while the anti-Trumpers have only the MSM and left media they have traditionally despised supporting them. Who has the upper hand there?

I'm still of the belief that Republicans will win big in the midterms because Biden is unpopular, inflation is high and Covid, while going down in caseloads, still hasn't been "beat" yet. Is there a chance, however small, that Democrats could use this Republican chaos and their brazenly undemocratic nature as of late (even more so than usual) to their advantage and actually flip the script and hang onto the House and Senate?

I look at and still don't believe so. Virginia proved to me that people are disinterested at the fact that fascism and authoritarianism are at their doorstep. The average voter doesn't see the gravity of January 6th nor the assault of our democratic values. Inflation high, covid still on going, the party of the Presidency historically does poorly and thus Republicans win big. It's a simple but unfortunate narrative I think, no matter how crazy the GOP cult gets between now and then.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm still of the belief that Republicans will win big in the midterms because Biden is unpopular, inflation is high and Covid, while going down in caseloads, still hasn't been "beat" yet. Is there a chance, however small, that Democrats could use this Republican chaos and their brazenly undemocratic nature as of late (even more so than usual) to their advantage and actually flip the script and hang onto the House and Senate?

I look at and still don't believe so. Virginia proved to me that people are disinterested at the fact that fascism and authoritarianism are at their doorstep. The average voter doesn't see the gravity of January 6th nor the assault of our democratic values. Inflation high, covid still on going, the party of the Presidency historically does poorly and thus Republicans win big. It's a simple but unfortunate narrative I think, no matter how crazy the GOP cult gets between now and then.

Virginia proved to me that we are fucked. Democrats need to be inspired while Republicans see it as their civic duty to vote. Democrats keep putting impossible purity standards on candidates and are more concerned about Manchin and Sinema who aren't even up for re-election until 2024. 

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Rage has a lyric that sort of addresses this: "What does the billboard say? Come and play, come and play; forget about the movement ..."

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Virginia proved to me that we are fucked. Democrats need to be inspired while Republicans see it as their civic duty to vote. Democrats keep putting impossible purity standards on candidates and are more concerned about Manchin and Sinema who aren't even up for re-election until 2024. 

True as this is, what's missing here is that Republicans voters are also inspired, which adds a layer of certainty that they will vote.

26 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

When I was arguing vociferously with a buddy over how corrupt, inept, anti-Constitutional, and straight-up Con-Artist Low-Life LYING POS Trump was (in 2015, before he had even gained the nomination)...

I heard a steady stream of "but Hillary's emails"...

What a jackass.

We're not friends anymore.

I loathe his militant personality and life choices.