The Idiocracy of Donald J. Trump

chasfh

1 minute ago, Archie said:

You haven't showed evidence of anything other than your opinion.  I get it that you hate Trump. I could really care less and it doesn't matter.  There's a new guy (ok he's actually been in office for decades but has nothing to show for it) in town that says he's going to fix everything.  I only see things getting worse but we have a group of people that's happy about that and they are not being offended by mean Twitter comments.

Wrong  not my opinion - just facts.  Posted an article where trump turned down 100m Vx doses.   Biden has bought 500m.  Those are facts, not my opinion.

What is opinion is claiming a Democrat would have done exactly what Trump did.   That is an opinion.

I've decided I'm going to use the Archie method.  Since we get to make up what a Democrat would have done if they were president, and that fantasy apparently carries some weight in discussions:

If a Democrat were president, there would have been 3 cases of COVID in the US, just like there were only 3 cases of Ebola in the US.

Just the facts.  No opinions here. 

• Thanks 1

That trump spent months claiming it was the flu and downplaying it isn't my opinion.   That Trump knew how contagious it was in Feb 2020 and told Bob Woodward that, and Bob has it on recording, isn't my opinion, and presidented otherwise, isn't my opinion.

That you choose to come and defend that garbage is really something Arch, that is my opinion

Edited by pfife

remember when Biden held huge rallies in the middle of the pandemic like Trump did?

Yeah me neither, that's why arguing they'd be the same is nonsense.  

In fact, I remember Trump made fun of Biden for campaigning from the basement.   Hilarious take that they'd have done the same re: COVID.

6 minutes ago, pfife said:

remember when Biden held huge rallies in the middle of the pandemic like Trump did?

Yeah me neither, that's why arguing they'd be the same is nonsense.  

In fact, I remember Trump made fun of Biden for campaigning from the basement.   Hilarious take that they'd have done the same re: COVID.

I also remember TFG making fun of people, including Biden, wearing masks.  I also remember him making secret service guys drive him around in a car when he had COVID.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, ewsieg said:

And this is where you lost me.  IDK, maybe wear a mask, understand and encourage precautions.  Additionally,  don't play politics to the point that when a vaccine comes out (which politically you could claim as a win and tout), your folks decide to become stupid liberal hippy idiots that don't want anything 'unnatural' in your body.

This is the thing I keep going back to: if he would have handled it with even a modicum of the seriousness it required, it would have been a goldmine for him. 

But to quote the dude from the Indiana Jones movie, "he chose poorly"

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Trump did handle COVID seriously: i.e., serious about exploiting COVID for political advantage, not about fighting and defeating COVID itself. 

I don't think Trump's handling of COVID redounded to his political advantage, tbh... I think it cost him reelection.

That's a startling claim, that "no one could have done any better".  Canada, which has had some major screwups and is still struggling in the west, has 789 deaths per million of population.  The United States has 2,202.  The rest of the world was staring, jaws dropped, at how stupid he is.  He led the country to almost 3 times as many deaths as a sensible person would have.  The 734,000 deaths should have been 250,000, if he had handled it as poorly as we did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's a startling claim, that "no one could have done any better".  Canada, which has had some major screwups and is still struggling in the west, has 789 deaths per million of population.  The United States has 2,202.  The rest of the world was staring, jaws dropped, at how stupid he is.  He led the country to almost 3 times as many deaths as a sensible person would have.  The 734,000 deaths should have been 250,000, if he had handled it as poorly as we did.

yup. Almost every US death recorded since this summer is due to vaccine hesitancy, and Trump is maybe the one person that could stopped that from ever taking hold. Really - it's all on him, both the crimes of commission and omission.

Trump paved the way to fast track the vaccine so it could be made and available in record time.  I have never once heard him say don't get the vaccine.  I've heard Harris and other democrats say it though.  I can't believe that anyone would let someone other than their doctor convince them to get a vaccine or not.  Maybe I'm giving people more credit for brains than they deserve.

Think about it: You would think a president would come into office hoping to spend his political capital trying to accomplish something positive. GW decided to spend his trying to democratize the ME. Foolish goal but ethically laudable - at least initially. Obama spent his trying to get people more health care and it cost his party dearly. Trump could have spent his directly saving people's lives -- how much better could you do that that? 

But NOPE, he wasn't having any. 

A sad man, a tragic man, and a tragedy for the country.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Archie said:

Trump paved the way to fast track the vaccine so it could be made and available in record time.  I have never once heard him say don't get the vaccine.  I've heard Harris and other democrats say it though.  I can't believe that anyone would let someone other than their doctor convince them to get a vaccine or not.  Maybe I'm giving people more credit for brains than they deserve.

Trump didn’t do shit for the vaccine’s development. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

The Trump Administration gave billions of dollars to pharmaceutical companies to accelerate development of a covid vaccine.  Many of the companies used the funding.  At least one didn't and I think it was Pfizer but I could be wrong.  

This topic is pretty good.  You guys should be on CNN.  You could sit around all day and night and harp about Trump like they do.  Its great being able to ignore todays problems like Taiwan, Afghanistan, China, Russia, inflation, and our border crisis to complain about a guy that has nothing to do with anything anymore.😀

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Trump was the one man who could have actively fought the anti-tax movement successfully. He didn't do squat. They had to pull teeth just to get him to make a lukewarm endorsement of the vaccine long after the fact. He never made any serious attempt at pushing *his* people in the positive direction and never took on any of fake reality peddlers in his own party or his buddies like Hannity at Fox. That's just the reality. 

Even at this late date - you think he might cut a pro vax PSA? You'd be kidding, right?

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This is the thing I keep going back to: if he would have handled it with even a modicum of the seriousness it required, it would have been a goldmine for him. 

But to quote the dude from the Indiana Jones movie, "he chose poorly"

If Trump would have named my 11 year old daughter his campaign director, and listened to her, he's still president today.  He was actually a worse candidate than he was a president.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I actually disagree for this, and love how shit isn't censored.

The vaccine as able to be developed so quickly because so many people got the virus and helped the developers achieve statistical significance. He helped with development in that regard.

As far as distribution, his lack of planning and care for the American people was showing itself there big time.

since made up stuff carries weight in this discussion, we all know every politician would have thrown money at Vx development in that situation.  IT's like congratulating Trump for doing what every politician does for any problem ever. 

Edited by pfife