The Idiocracy of Donald J. Trump

chasfh

54 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

One could argue that Trump was the choice of the media as they haven't stopped talking about him for five years.  They have enriched each other greatly.  

yeah - this is the dirty little secret of the supposedly liberal media. Campaign finance reform may be a fundamental topic for progressives, but 90 of all that campaign money is spent with 'the media' and they know all too well what happens in a system of publicly funded low cost political campaigns.

I spent some time over the weekend reading the old 2016 Candidate thread on the old site.... the common thinking was "Look how stupid Trump is.... he's toast... Rubio and Kasich must love this...."

Everyone just assumed he'd bail and call everyone idiots but the rubes out there ate it up and the other candidates didn't want to consolidate because they knew the winner of the GOP would beat Hillary.  Then it was too late.  

Each party nominated the one person that could lose to the other one.

13 minutes ago, oblong said:

I spent some time over the weekend reading the old 2016 Candidate thread on the old site.... the common thinking was "Look how stupid Trump is.... he's toast... Rubio and Kasich must love this...."

Everyone just assumed he'd bail and call everyone idiots but the rubes out there ate it up and the other candidates didn't want to consolidate because they knew the winner of the GOP would beat Hillary.  Then it was too late.  

Edit: I see in the thread in the non political board that it’s gone. Bummer that all that stuff is lost.

Is the old board accessible now? I just tried to go there and it brings me to this. 

2EBE86B9-A940-4025-A537-0DA846D46BFB.jpeg

Edited by Tigerbomb13

1 hour ago, Archie said:

I'm still surprised Trump made it through the primary.  I beleive Clinton and Biden were more the choice of the democrat party seeing how and when some of their competition dropped out.  

To me that’s one of the flaws in the system, especially in a winner take all or at least a large portion of the delegates in a nominating system. While it has its own flaws, I would prefer a ranked voting method.

At least ranked voting does help clear the dead wood

1 hour ago, pfife said:

guilty.   I thought he had no chance and said so often.  I thought he had no shot on election day even.

Me too.  Even to the convention part of me thought “he’s going to expose this all as a ruse and laugh at people”   Reading that thread and seeing what guys like Rubio and Ted and Lindsay were saying about him… nothing we haven’t said  

until I went to TN that summer I thought Hillary would pull a reagan in ‘84 and win 49 states. Figured the religious people would stay home. Then I got down there and saw roadside stands with his stuff for sale. Then I heard a cousin say “I kind of like him. He tells it like it is”. 

3 hours ago, oblong said:

Trump was telling people what they wanted to hear and he followed through on a good many of those things.  Kasich is a moderate and an idiot.  Rubio didn't have the right message and would have been another do nothing POTUS.  A lot of Americans were looking for a President that would do something different and work for the American people. Trump came along at the right time with the right message.

As much as everyone here doesn't like him he still did a lot while in office, far more than Biden has done in 47 years and will ever do.  And he did big things...biggly if it makes you feel better.  He cracked down on illegal immigration,  stopped the flow of people from terror supporting countries that hate us, stood up to Iran and got us out of that horrible so called nuclear deal Obama got us in although he didn't get the cash back, He didn't get us in any new wars, tax cuts, economy was booming before covid and unemployment at an all time low, peace in the Mideast that nobody has been able to accomplish and a few other things.

Now Biden and democrats are in charge and everything has gone back to crap.  How is that progress?  Its not and it obvious these democrats are not working for the American people.  America needs another President with the ideas that Trump had but that person needs to have a better delivery, know how to talk to people and most importantly, know when to shut up.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, pfife said:

this seems more realistic to me but I would still say too low.

I guess it depends on how you define 'Republican.'  As per Gallup, full party identification with the GOP is down around 25%, so 80% or more of that group would not surprise me at at. OTOH if you add in the additional 15% of 'leaners' who don't admit to affiliation but probably vote red anyway, that number would be more frightening.

Re. Trump's tax cuts: I got the equivalent of a Costco membership back in terms of benefit. Forgive me if I'm not in awe.

I'm guessing the people who benefited more from the tax cuts have more zeros in their annual salary than I do lol.

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Re. Trump's tax cuts: I got the equivalent of a Costco membership back in terms of benefit. Forgive me if I'm not in awe.

I'm guessing the people who benefited more from the tax cuts have more zeros in their annual salary than I do lol.

Most people that I know and work with got about $25 to $45 a week more in their paycheck.  Me and my wife each got $30 extra a week and $1500 more back in our tax return.  

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

And you’ll have to give those tax cuts back when they expire in 2025, unless you are in that very top percentage of people who hide their wealth in South Dakota…

You're right and we'll be giving a lot more if the democrats pass the $3.5 trillion budget package.  Even though Joe says it won't cost us a cent.

21 minutes ago, Archie said:

Most people that I know and work with got about $25 to $45 a week more in their paycheck.  Me and my wife each got $30 extra a week and $1500 more back in our tax return.  

It didn't amount to much for me. Situations can be different.

In any event, the tax cuts, in my experience, don't cover for the failures that I see of his administration. Nor the embarrassment of his leadership, particularly during COVID and the post election period.

If anything, my views are reinforced with every passing day.

Edited by mtutiger

I am amused at how the Trump tax cuts that added trillions to the debt and are seen as virtuous while social spending on things like child care or health care or free community college are seen as extravagant.

The time for lectures and pearl clutching from Republicans and conservatives about the debt is long passed... it just is. President Trump pissed away whatever remained of that credibility.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Pointing out the things you liked that Trump did while president is like being happy about the fact that a guy that spent 4 yrs trying to burn down your house washed your car one day.

He did a lot of good things and I can't deny that.  That's what people like about him not his non-stop talking and saying stupid things at times.  If Biden does something good I will give him credit for it.