2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Petzold tweets that Fetter had recruited Anglin when he was at UM. 

Interesting little nugget there.

Look, the fact that Avila got anything for Grossman is a minor win.  Maybe the kid needs another organization to figure things out, maybe he never becomes anything anyway.  Whichever way it ends up, trading away 2+ months of 2022 Grossman for a random minor leaguer is fine.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Imagine if we didn't have a lame duck GM right now.  I'd be using this deadline to acquire talent for 2023.  Not prospects.  I'd be out trying to get established starters.   I saw that JD Martinez was available.   Is he any good?

He's a free agent after this season, so, I'm not sure he really succinctly fits into the 2023 plans at this time.  And an OF flanked by JD Martinez and Austin Meadows?  In Commerica Park?  I know the Tigers need offense, but I'm not sure punting defense at both corners would be wise.

45 minutes ago, casimir said:

Interesting little nugget there.

Look, the fact that Avila got anything for Grossman is a minor win.  Maybe the kid needs another organization to figure things out, maybe he never becomes anything anyway.  Whichever way it ends up, trading away 2+ months of 2022 Grossman for a random minor leaguer is fine.

Yep, Anglin is the classic "lottery ticket" type player. And Grossman was a player who the Tigers were lucky they didn't have to DFA.

I know we have the precede all discussions with a "five minutes hate" about Avila around here, but in general, don't have much to complain about in just getting someone for Grossman

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Imagine if we didn't have a lame duck GM right now.  I'd be using this deadline to acquire talent for 2023.  Not prospects.  I'd be out trying to get established starters.   I saw that JD Martinez was available.   Is he any good?

They aren't mutually exclusive ideas.

That's why in the Soto talks you hear about mlb ready talent.

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yep, Anglin is the classic "lottery ticket" type player. And Grossman was a player who the Tigers were lucky they didn't have to DFA.

I know we have the precede all discussions with a "five minutes hate" about Avila around here, but in general, don't have much to complain about in just getting someone for Grossman

Yep, you can't complain all year about how terrible Grossman is then also complain about the return we get back for him. People treated him like he was the worst player in baseball but then expected to get some decent MLB ready prospect for him.  Like seriously?

53 minutes ago, romad1 said:

A descending DH

Grossman was bad as an everyday player, but he's one of the best hitters in mlb vs lhp this year. 

I don't really care about the return because he was worthless to us, but he wasn't complete garbage to other teams, hopefully the guys who have longer term value bring more back 

23 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Grossman was bad as an everyday player, but he's one of the best hitters in mlb vs lhp this year. 

I don't really care about the return because he was worthless to us, but he wasn't complete garbage to other teams, hopefully the guys who have longer term value bring more back 

One of the beat writers suggested that the trade that the Braves was the only offer they were getting for Grossman's services, likely reflecting losing Adam Duvall for the year and being reliant on Eddie Rosario who has poor splits against lefties.

Garbage is too hot of a term,  but let's not gild the lilly on Grossman's performance either; the fact that there was only one team interested and that he brought back a lottery ticket tells one a lot about how teams view him.

Grossman trade is addition through subtraction—more AB’s for Greene, Baddoo, and possibly Cameron.  3 guys who could have a future vs one that had zero.

It’s  a shame that Grossman fell off so sharply this year—easy to forget his contributions last season.  Hope he can turn things around with the Braves.

29 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Grossman trade is addition through subtraction—more AB’s for Greene, Baddoo, and possibly Cameron.  3 guys who could have a future vs one that had zero.

Cameron doesn't have a future with the Tigers beyond playing the 2022 string out.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/tigers-trade-rumors-tarik-skubal-andrew-chafin.html

Instead, Tuesday will likely see the Tigers focus on finding deals for members of their quietly solid bullpen. SNY’s Andy Martino tweets that the Mets have been eyeing righty Michael Fulmer and lefty Andrew Chafin, both of whom can become free agents at season’s end (Chafin via a player option).

Interestingly, however, Petzold suggests that if Chafin remains with the Tigers, he’s likely to exercise that player option due to Detroit’s relative proximity to his family in Ohio. If another club were to acquire Chafin, he could well turn down the option, which leads to a disconnect in perceived value. If the Tigers consider him likely to stay beyond the current season, but interested parties are effectively viewing him as a rental, it may be hard to align on a return that both teams deem fair value.

Elsewhere in the bullpen, Cody Stavenhagen of The Athletic reports that opposing clubs have not been willing to put together the type of prospect(s) the Tigers have been seeking for righty Joe Jimenez, who’s under club control through the 2023 season. The 27-year-old righty is finally enjoying the long-awaited breakout for which the organization has hoped, pitching 40 innings of 2.93 ERA ball with a massive 35% strikeout rate against a minuscule 5% walk rate.

Jimenez is averaging a career-high 95.9 mph on his heater, and according to Statcast, he’s among the league leaders in fastball spin rate (93rd percentile), opponents’ chase rate (91st percentile), whiff rate (82nd percentile), expected ERA (92nd percentile) and expected wOBA (92nd percentile). Given that dominance, a remaining year of control and a modest $1.79MM salary, it’s understandable if Detroit sets a lofty asking price.

Don't know if Petzold has any inside info on this or if it's just speculation, but it is interesting nonetheless.