2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

15 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Billy Beane is not cool with it.

It's better to win the championship than just make the playoffs, but there really isn't much (if anything) you can do the build a championship team that is diferent from building a playoff team.  The more times you make the playoffs, the better chance you have to win a championship.  So, if a GM puts his team in position to make the playoffs year after year, then he is doing it right.  

Edited by Tiger337

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It's better to win the championship than just make the playoffs, but there really isn't much (if anything) you can do the build a championship team that is diferent from building a playoff team.  The more times you make the playoffs, the better chance you have to win a championship.  So, if a GM puts his team in position to make the playoffs year after year, then he is doing it right.  

Yes.  

And of course that is what Billy Beane has always done (I'm not claiming that you said otherwise, BTW).

What Billy Beane has NEVER done is to build "tanking" teams as a strategy with the specific intention of maximizing losing year after year after year after year in order to amass top picks.  And I will wager that he's not doing that here and now, either (again, not claiming that you and I disagree on this, though if you do, feel free to argue the case of course).

5 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

What Billy Beane has NEVER done is to build "tanking" teams as a strategy with the specific intention of maximizing losing year after year after year after year in order to amass top picks.  And I will wager that he's not doing that here and now, either (again, not claiming that you and I disagree on this, though if you do, feel free to argue the case of course).

This is what bothers me the most about the past few years with the Tigers.... as much as we complain about how much the owner of this club will spend or if he'll want to cheap out in certain instances (all well deserved), teams like the A's, Brewers and Rays always seem to manage to field a competitive club in most years without spending even as much as the Tigers will. And that is because they know how to draft, develop and acquire talent.

I've been keeping an open-mind on the new player development hires that have happened in the minor leagues and maybe they will make a difference going forward. And certainly that needs to be accounted for as well as the presence of AJ and his staff, who I would like to see stay on as well. But the reality is that the guy at the top has tried and failed for far too long at this and he needs to go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I've been keeping an open-mind on the new player development hires that have happened in the minor leagues and maybe they will make a difference going forward. And certainly that needs to be accounted for as well as the presence of AJ and his staff, who I would like to see stay on as well. But the reality is that the guy at the top has tried and failed for far too long at this and he needs to go.

Yup. You get the feeling the motion is mostly in the right direction but that everything has happened more slowly than it should have. 

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This is what bothers me the most about the past few years with the Tigers.... as much as we complain about how much the owner of this club will spend or if he'll want to cheap out in certain instances (all well deserved), teams like the A's, Brewers and Rays always seem to manage to field a competitive club in most years without spending even as much as the Tigers will. And that is because they know how to draft, develop and acquire talent.

Yes Yes and Yes !!

21 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The more times you make the playoffs, the better chance you have to win a championship.   

Not true at all. 

The odds are the same and what happen in previous or future years has no barring on the current playoffs. In baseball its 1 in 12 every year. And if you make it the next year its 1 in 12 again. it doesn't improve just because you made it multiple years. It's the same thinking that gets people to spend $100 on lotto tickets. 

This trade deadline is another opportunity to improve our team and the first chance since this season’s disaster. If Al snoozes it’s dereliction of duty. Al said he was  mad 😡 so do something about it. Make something happen or step the F aside. 

Gosh Darn it we deserve do much better.  

4 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Not true at all. 

The odds are the same and what happen in previous or future years has no barring on the current playoffs. In baseball its 1 in 12 every year. And if you make it the next year its 1 in 12 again. it doesn't improve just because you made it multiple years. It's the same thinking that gets people to spend $100 on lotto tickets. 

I would like the 1 in 12 to be annual thing.  How do I sign up for that?

8 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Not true at all. 

???? The probabilities across multiple years would sum by roughly a binomial dist. If you have a 1/12 chance of winning and go to the playoffs 10 times, your odds of winning at least one are ~60%. Binomial is probably not the best approx for that low a single event probability, but that should be in the ballpark.

https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial

Lee can probably  generate a better approx.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

FG on Anglin:

Anglin began 2022 at Low-A Augusta where he made a dozen starts before he was demoted back to the Complex League after a seven-run clunker, one of a few nuclear meltdown starts Anglin has had this year. Anglin’s riding fastball sits 87-90 mph and has other elements that help it play up, though he’s still prone to getting hit due to a lack of velo and inconsistent command. His breaking balls are slow, often in the 74-78 mph range, but they play nicely off his fastball. Barely 21, if Anglin can throw harder he’ll become an interesting prospect. His delivery is fluid and loose but he isn’t especially projectable, physically, so that’s not a given.

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

FG on Anglin:

Anglin began 2022 at Low-A Augusta where he made a dozen starts before he was demoted back to the Complex League after a seven-run clunker, one of a few nuclear meltdown starts Anglin has had this year. Anglin’s riding fastball sits 87-90 mph and has other elements that help it play up, though he’s still prone to getting hit due to a lack of velo and inconsistent command. His breaking balls are slow, often in the 74-78 mph range, but they play nicely off his fastball. Barely 21, if Anglin can throw harder he’ll become an interesting prospect. His delivery is fluid and loose but he isn’t especially projectable, physically, so that’s not a given.

He's 5'11

LOL, "If pitcher who does't have good arm had a good arm, he'd be a pitcher."  Brilliant!

OK, sure, some guys find an mph or two with some bio-mech coaching, but is sounds like Anglin needs more like 5. Still "if Anglin can throw harder he’ll become an interesting prospect." is almost a comic line. 

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I suggest they hook him up with Cabrera and try to get them to start some kind of happy charity so both will be too busy to want to play anymore baseball. At least the Padres and Tigers could then feel better about where their money is going, because for sure, it is gone.

Still a lot of time left, and teams always need more bullpen pieces.  However, the closer we get to the deadline, the less leverage we have trying to get any value for Fulmer.

We’re not privy, but you have to wonder if Avila gets too aggressive with his ask, that teams just look elsewhere.