2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

22 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

You guys are cute, all thinking Chris would ever fire Al...Chris was born on home plate with no ridges in his brain; Al's gonna work him for every penny he can get...only way Al goes is if he actually resigns.  Al may very well still be GM in 2030, orchestrating his 4th rebuild from rebuilding the rebuild he previously failed rebuilding prior to the 1st rebuild.

Didn't Chris already get rid of one gm of a team he owns?

It's amazing that Fulmer realistically could have been moved a couple seasons ago for at least one top 100 prospect and then is finally moved for a random AA starter after Fulmer had a number of injuries and had to shift to the bullpen. That was underwhelming. But, par for the course for Avila and his general asset management.  

So, not surprising that nothing happened with Skubal, Soto, Lange, etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Didn't Chris already get rid of one gm of a team he owns?

I believe that firing or removing Avila as GM is within the range of actual possibilities for this upcoming offseason.

But the fanbase is cynical, not without reason. And it would take that actually happening for people to believe it.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

There were some other bad returns on trades besides just ours. The Cubs got a bag of balls for Dave Robertson, and they didn’t move Contreras or Happ at all. 

Brown has a very short track record but he performing at or above the T Madden/D Smith level right now. Brown would have been a solid return for Det.

Okay Al Avila qualified our strategy going in to the deadline as only being interested in making the Tigers "better", and we end up sending Fulmer and Grossman away for "cheap and controllable" nobodies in return.

And,we DFA  OF Derek Hill as well......so I guess the net tangible  benefit we get out of all this is opening 3 roster slots?

I really didn't expect us to trade Soto with his nice pre-arb salary, and I really didn't expect the rest of major league baseball to have much interest in becoming more like the Tigers......so....in the all-together.  I'm not too surprised here.

Speculating, but I suspect the main reason Hill got axed is because Victor Reyes did not play well enough to stimulate trade interest......so if the consideration came down to whether to ax Hill or ax Reyes, I think the Tigers made the right decision,...for once:classic_smile:

Edited by Useful Idiot

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This is what bothers me the most about the past few years with the Tigers.... as much as we complain about how much the owner of this club will spend or if he'll want to cheap out in certain instances (all well deserved), teams like the A's, Brewers and Rays always seem to manage to field a competitive club in most years without spending even as much as the Tigers will. And that is because they know how to draft, develop and acquire talent.

I've been keeping an open-mind on the new player development hires that have happened in the minor leagues and maybe they will make a difference going forward. And certainly that needs to be accounted for as well as the presence of AJ and his staff, who I would like to see stay on as well. But the reality is that the guy at the top has tried and failed for far too long at this and he needs to go.

yes

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I believe that firing or removing Avila as GM is within the range of actual possibilities for this upcoming offseason.

But the fanbase is cynical, not without reason. And it would take that actually happening for people to believe it.

No, the main question is who would replace him? Tram?