9/26 @ 12:10 Detroit Tigers vs Kansas City Royals

Tigeraholic1

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Misstep by Hinch. Niko is the batter that Grossman should have PH for. Niko batting LH is just about the easiest batter in the AL to strike out if you can throw fastball up and the slider at his back foot, both of which Barlow had in his pocket.

Niko failed biggly. 

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Who is Archie?  Is he totally new to the MTS environment or is it a name change?  A name change is fine.  I am just curious.  

I'm new and I've been a Tiger fan for over 50 years.  Yeah, I'm not a young guy.  Believe it or not I have been trying to get into the old forum and it always said "waiting for admin approval."  Is this a private club and I'm going to be booted? 

23 minutes ago, Archie said:

I'm new and I've been a Tiger fan for over 50 years.  Yeah, I'm not a young guy.  Believe it or not I have been trying to get into the old forum and it always said "waiting for admin approval."  Is this a private club and I'm going to be booted? 

the old forum apparently put administration on autopilot some time ago and the instrumentation has finally failed and run it aground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archie said:

I go all the way back to 1968, so I am old too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Believe it or not I have been trying to get into the old forum and it always said "waiting for admin approval."  Is this a private club and I'm going to be booted? 

I believe it. In order to gain access, the admin needed to approve your account registration. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be paying much attention to the site these days, therefore you and others were stuck waiting…

3 hours ago, Archie said:

Yeah, you're gone pal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

No doubt. This season has far exceeded not only my expectations, but my best reasonable hopes.

But now the pressure is on. They can't autopilot this shit anymore and hope for draft picks. It's time to make moves to contend, and I mean starting next year.

Yes.  This is 2004, and we have the Manager in place to make next year more like 2006 than 2005.

Considering how far below average our payroll currently is, there should be more than enough $$ available next year to get the 4 types of guys that everybody has been talking about: SS, SP, RP, and another power hitter (nearly any position would work).  The FA options are generally in their 30s, so I hope they can keep the terms down to 2 or 3 years at most, unless of course they land one of the plus FA youngsters like Correa.

Add to it the probability that at least 1 of the youngsters (Manning, Tork, Greene) can likely contribute something positive (say 1 to 2 WAR) next year, and I see no reason why this team shouldnt shoot for 85-90 wins with an average-ish payroll.

Edited by sabretooth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sabretooth said:

... there should be more than enough $$ available next year to get the 4 types of guys that everybody has been talking about: SS, SP, RP, and another power hitter (nearly any position would work)....

If we can't get everything in one offseason, as Avila has stated...

I want the best SS we can land, a SP and at least one high end RP.

I'm not as focused on the additional power hitter this offseason because (a) we'll see a lot of internal development next year at the MLB level so I would rather reassess after the 2022 season; (b) Miggy is going to retire sometime next year, IMO. That opens up ANY power hitter to play some in the field and, if necessary, primarily DH. I think that's an easier position for us to fill offseason 2022 than 2021. (c) Grossman's contract is up.. freeing up an OF spot; (d) What power hitter is attractive and available this offseason? I have pretty much focused exclusively on the SS's so I don't even know.

But again... additional power hitter to me, plus maybe one more reliever, are better options for us in 2022 than in 2021...

Edited by 1984Echoes