07/24/2022 1:40 EDT Minnesota Twins at Detroit Tigers

casimir

38 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Lol, Dan "another close game turns into a blowout late", nice try Dan, this was never a close game and you know it.

Dan was also talking up the big Skubal-Darvish matchup on Wednesday... lol

I love Skubal and all, but even if he's on his game, it's hard to imagine things going well for the Tiger bats lol

Edited by mtutiger

Grossman seems very disengaged. The Tigers gave him his first multi year contract and he did have a super 2021 so he earned it but his comments about hitting in Comerica recently combined with slow motion outfield play and poor hitting are hard to take. I would cut him before tomorrows game and bring up...anybody else.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The lack of accountability for the situation with the hitting is unfathomable. Can you imagine where Coolbaugh *and* probably Hinch and Avila would be by now if George Steinbrenner owned this team? Probably Siberia.

It has to be attributed to  an absentee owner, weak press and media core and too many folks at the ballpark.

7 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'm glad Baddoo was called up, so that Grossman could play both games on the weekend, and Willi played today while Baddoo sat out.

Baddoo is still struggling though...  0 for last 18, 2-22 in July since his call-up. All RH'ers too I believe... so not even his LH'd-pitcher-bugaboo.

20 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Grossman seems very disengaged. The Tigers gave him his first multi year contract and he did have a super 2021 so he earned it but his comments about hitting in Comerica recently combined with slow motion outfield play and poor hitting are hard to take. I would cut him before tomorrows game and bring up...anybody else.

His body language has been terrible most of the year, but it's definitely getting irritating at this late date.

I know that the idea is to get him ABs to aid in the process of pumping his trade value, but honestly, I don't know what teams would want him at this point. And if they did find a suitor, they arent getting more than a lottery ticket out of him.

I'm ready to move on... time to let some of the younger players get some major league ABs. Maybe once the deadline passes I'll get my wish

49 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

His body language has been terrible most of the year, but it's definitely getting irritating at this late date.

I know that the idea is to get him ABs to aid in the process of pumping his trade value, but honestly, I don't know what teams would want him at this point. And if they did find a suitor, they arent getting more than a lottery ticket out of him.

I'm ready to move on... time to let some of the younger players get some major league ABs. Maybe once the deadline passes I'll get my wish

If you need a guy who hits lefties Grossman might be worth a gamble. His OPS against lefties (in 79PA) is .988. Don't know how many contenders are in dire need of such a player, but if you covet a lefty masher (without much power mind you) Grossman would seem to fit the bill, especially when it will only cost you your 25th rated prospect (or to put it another way a fringy pitcher). 

Edited by SeattleMike

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Baddoo is still struggling though...  0 for last 18, 2-22 in July since his call-up. All RH'ers too I believe... so not even his LH'd-pitcher-bugaboo.

Do you think it could be a situation where Baddoo started out last year not knowing anything and just playing baseball, you know, going outside, playing the game, having fun and since then they've filled his head with a bunch of launch angle/exit velo/sabregarbage that has him up there thinking, not just using his natural ability?    That's what I think.   I think they got in his head and messed him up.      I think they have done that to almost the whole team.   So we just have a bunch of guys all having the worst season at the same time?   I don't think so.   

I used to worry about AJ leaving, and now it's Good Riddance !    Who out there is better?   I don't know, but I do know that this ain't working and it's completely systemic.   

EVERYONE.............MUST.................GO......................................EVERYONE !

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Hinch's handling of Baddoo has been awful. Yes he's struggling but Grossman and Castro are most definitely not the answer. Baddoo could be the answer, so you give him all the playing time. They gave Torkelson all the playing time, why not Baddoo?

yeah - the org/Hinch seems to play a lot of favorites where the favoritism is based on non-performance factors. The whole org seem to approach young players in a totally random way. Overplay some, don't give others any kind of shot, makes very little sense in an org that should be dedicated to their emerging players instead of all the also-rans that have been taking up space in the lineup and roster for several years that have no future. They have been constantly half in and half out on playing/promoting young players.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I used to worry about AJ leaving, and now it's Good Riddance !   

I’m there. If Hinch was gone tomorrow I would be fine with it. 
This ‘effed up organization should hire Charlie Montoya yesterday. He is a talent that could serve this organization well. Hire him now and give him the remainder of this wasted season to familiarize himself with this ‘effed up org, top to bottom. At a minimum he could manage Toledo next year if he was interested. I’d prefer he manage at the MLB level in Detroit. Bring a hitting coach in with him. 

5 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I’m there. If Hinch was gone tomorrow I would be fine with it. 
This ‘effed up organization should hire Charlie Montoya yesterday. He is a talent that could serve this organization well. Hire him now and give him the remainder of this wasted season to familiarize himself with this ‘effed up org, top to bottom. At a minimum he could manage Toledo next year if he was interested. I’d prefer he manage at the MLB level in Detroit. Bring a hitting coach in with him. 

I don't want to hear the injury excuse, it's the offense that has been offensive.    The pitching has hung in there with the injuries, but you get seven years to build and this is what you get.   Bad scouting.  Bad drafting.  Bad developing. Bad Trades. Bad Free Agents.   They do almost everything wrong.  It is very MIllenesque.    

Don't worry about Al.  He can retire a millionaire, or Dave Dombrowski can hire him as an assistant in Philly.  I don't care.  Just go.  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't want to hear the injury excuse, it's the offense that has been offensive.    The pitching has hung in there with the injuries, but you get seven years to build and this is what you get.   Bad scouting.  Bad drafting.  Bad developing. Bad Trades. Bad Free Agents.   They do almost everything wrong.  It is very MIllenesque.    

Don't worry about Al.  He can retire a millionaire, or Dave Dombrowski can hire him as an assistant in Philly.  I don't care.  Just go.  

Oh, and in the Millen case, he went against his staff's suggestions all the time and Martin Mayhew made sure the higher ups knew that he wasn't on board a lot of Millen's moves.    But I don't care, Mayhew should have been broomed out with him.   I don't want anyone that has anything to do with Al Avila on this team anymore.  From front office all the way down to Rookie Ball.   I don't care if there is a record of them saying Al was wrong on something, we must rid ourselves and our city and our beloved team of the stench.    Congratulations on finding J.D. Martinez, it was a brilliant move, but that's all you've really got.  

What is being done to the Detroit Tigers, in my eyes, is like someone drawing a sharpie mustache on the Mona Lisa.   I know that's a bit overdramatic, but that's what the Tigers mean to me and Chris is shitting all over it, still making a profit.  He'll probably angle for a new stadium within 10 years too.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you think it could be a situation where Baddoo started out last year not knowing anything and just playing baseball, you know, going outside, playing the game, having fun and since then they've filled his head with a bunch of launch angle/exit velo/sabregarbage that has him up there thinking, not just using his natural ability?    That's what I think.   I think they got in his head and messed him up.      I think they have done that to almost the whole team.   So we just have a bunch of guys all having the worst season at the same time?   I don't think so.   

I used to worry about AJ leaving, and now it's Good Riddance !    Who out there is better?   I don't know, but I do know that this ain't working and it's completely systemic.   

EVERYONE.............MUST.................GO......................................EVERYONE !

G2 and others have also mentioned this point. It’s very astute and quite possible. 

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

That's just silly. 

That does nothing to help us and just causes problems. It's jsut reacting out of emotions. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'll preface this by saying I don't care if Al stays or goes. His trades have netted zero and the FAs all turned to pumpkins this year. Though nobody was complaining at the time 

But some in here is just unfair. Yes hes been here for seven years. But, for the first couple they were trying to win with the old group then he tore it down. It wasn't a tear down from day 1. So being like you said seven years to build is a bit unfair cause it wasn't like he started from day one.

Then you talk about drafting and developing. if you say he has had seven years, he's really had six years of developing and drafting. Few players are phenominal in their first year. Al in theory has his first group hitting FA (six years in the big and that's only one year in the minors). Do you know a bunch of teams with 27 year old all stars all over the field who were developed at home? Then don't forget they lost a year to COVID, a very important year that set everything back. 

Again you can take or leave Al for all I care, but the ole Valentini he's had seven year argument doesn't take a full picture into consideration. 

• Like 1