Biden's presidency

ewsieg

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Donald Trump is a private citizen and has no power anymore.  He said a lot of stupid things over the years.  I think we all agree on that.  I posted a recent recording of the current Vice President of the United States giving a very dumb explanation of the Russian Ukraine war.  It doesn't surprise me that you haven't heard this.  If you want to ignore it that is your choice but it doesn't make it go away and it doesn't make Harris any smarter.  

She was giving an explanation  to an audience who she felt wouldn't understand something more complex  Kind of like We are going build a wall to keep out all the bad people.  

Unfortunately, Trump still has a lot of power.  A third of the country is hanging on every word he says.    

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

Fareed Zakaria with a good point:

Finalize the last few issues with Iran in the Nuclear Deal, get it signed, and let them open up their spigots again (drop oil & gas sanctions on Iran). Iranian gas replaces Russian gas. "The enemy of my enemy is now my friend".

I'm not on board with dropping Venezuela sanctions though... Fareed also made this point but... I can only go so far in enabling bad actors.

But along with doing everything possible to jump American production way up... I would be on board with finalizing the Iranian Nuclear Deal and getting them back on line...

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Fareed Zakaria with a good point:

Finalize the last few issues with Iran in the Nuclear Deal, get it signed, and let them open up their spigots again (drop oil & gas sanctions on Iran). Iranian gas replaces Russian gas. "The enemy of my enemy is now my friend".

I'm not on board with dropping Venezuela sanctions though... Fareed also made this point but... I can only go so far in enabling bad actors.

But along with doing everything possible to jump American production way up... I would be on board with finalizing the Iranian Nuclear Deal and getting them back on line...

Fareed is a realpolitiker. His view is you have to accept that some things are more important at a given time than others, that if you are stuck on trying to do everything, you will accomplish nothing. Something to be said for that, but OTOH, there is also risk in making compromises that come back to bite you later. You could put arming the Afghan mujahideen against the Russians as a counterexample where taking your eye off the longer term issue of Islamic radicalism to score short term points against the Sovs doesn't look so good in hindsight. Intellectual frameworks are a good thing to focus thinking, but every situation still has to be evaluated on its unique merits.

Edited by gehringer_2

Except that we've already signed an Iranian Nuclear Deal... which I am/ was perfectly fine with. In realpolitik terms. 

Dumpster Fire dropping the deal under false pretenses doesn't change my thinking on the deal. It was valid. It stopped Iranian Nuclear pursuits and... even if they are not really our friend, there is no valid reason that I've seen that says sanctioning Iran is a "must-have" in American politics.

Get the deal back online. IMO. And get them pumping oil. I didn't have an issue before, in the first deal, I don't now.

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I haven't been following the negotiations on the Iran Deal much, but arent the Russians involved? I'm assuming they will use their involvement as leverage to their own conflict with Ukraine.

They are.

But we can easily cut them out of the deal. They are not required.

We should not be doing any deals with Iran.  Iran is a terrorist country that is 100% against the US.  The Obama administration made a terrible deal with Iran to begin with and the Iranians did not follow through on their end.  As soon as Iran has a nuclear weapon the US is in real danger.  None of these deals do anything to guarantee they won't develop a nuke because Iran can't be trusted.  I also can't believe the US would have Russia in any talks.  Russia and Iran will do whatever is their best interest.  It will be just another way to get money out of the US.

30 minutes ago, Archie said:

We should not be doing any deals with Iran.  Iran is a terrorist country that is 100% against the US.  The Obama administration made a terrible deal with Iran to begin with and the Iranians did not follow through on their end.  As soon as Iran has a nuclear weapon the US is in real danger.  None of these deals do anything to guarantee they won't develop a nuke because Iran can't be trusted.  I also can't believe the US would have Russia in any talks.  Russia and Iran will do whatever is their best interest.  It will be just another way to get money out of the US.

100% inaccurate.

Not one single sentence is correct.

Try again.

Why would any American want to do a deal with Iran?  Iran is one of our worst enemy and a nation that supports terrorism.  Paying off the enemy is not going to make them like us.  It will just give them the means to attack us easier and quicker. By the way my comment was 100% correct.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Why would any American want to do a deal with Iran?  

Why would any American pine for the days of being led by a guy who feels that the best course of action in the Russian War is to slap a Chinese decal on an F-22 and bomb Russia?

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Why would any American want to do a deal with Iran? 

because having a deal with Iran is better for the US than not having a deal with Iran. Iran with IAEA inspectors running around is much better than Iran without IAEA inspectors running around. This isn't hard.

Nobody's hands are clean in the ME, and that includes the US and Israel. Kacie was just posting about our client SA pretty much practicing terrorism against children in Yemen. Who is fighting *for* those children? Iran. The conflict between Iran and the US is a mile wide and 1/2" deep. We actually even had a chance to patch it up after 9/11 and Shrub botched it, both out of his own ignorance and because Cheney and his oil industry buddies were too much in thrall to the Gulf Sheikhs who made sure any openings to Iran went nowhere.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

because having a deal with Iran is better for the US than not having a deal with Iran. Iran with IAEA inspectors running around is much better than Iran without IAEA inspectors running around. This isn't hard.

Nobody's hands are clean in the ME, and that includes the US and Israel. Kacie was just posting about our client SA pretty much practicing terrorism against children in Yemen. Who is fighting *for* those children? Iran. The conflict between Iran and the US is a mile wide and 1/2" deep. We actually even had a chance to patch it up after 9/11 and Shrub botched it, both out of his own ignorance and because Cheney and his oil industry buddies were too much in thrall to the Gulf Sheikhs who made sure any openings to Iran went nowhere.

Let's also look at the realpolitik of the situation: the world finds itself in an economic war with a large, oil producing nation who decided to unilaterally invade a neighboring country. While in the process spooking and alarming allied countries who lie within ~500 miles of the invaded nations borders.

That changes the calculus some... not just for us, but also for Iran as well. I'm not saying I agree with it, but the rationale makes sense.

I have no interest in giving aid or working with our enemies especially Iran.  Myself and many people in this country believe the greatest threat to the US comes from within by the liberals and Democrat party.  The comments posted here at times back that theory up especially on the topic of national security.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Archie said:

I have no interest in giving aid or working with our enemies especially Iran.  Myself and many people in this country believe the greatest threat to the US comes from within by the liberals and Democrat party.  The comments posted here at times back that theory up especially on the topic of national security.

Go bleep yourself with a cactus again

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This sentiment, the extent to which it exists, is such a coup for our actual enemies.

"Our" is the key word here.  He's not part of the "our" anymore.  He's off in MAGAMERICA which is fueled by delusion and fed by the will of the Karenocracy. 

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

"Our" is the key word here.  He's not part of the "our" anymore.  He's off in MAGAMERICA which is fueled by delusion and fed by the will of the Karenocracy. 

I'm a patriotic American. I get that is hard for some people to understand especially those folks on left that put America last and don't care about national security or energy dependance. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Archie said:

I'm a patriotic American. I get that is hard for some people to understand especially those folks on left that put America last and don't care about national security or energy dependance. 

You routinely defend attacks on our nations capitol and capital.