Biden's presidency

ewsieg

PS: One more thing on China: If we were to go to financial war against China, including support from the EU and other western style democracies (all the Asian countries I listed above, plus NZ/ Australia, etc...), just as we have done against Russia...

China has no one to turn to. 

Russia can turn to China. That's to Russia's benefit. China is still a lifeline for them.

But China cannot turn to Russia for any economic lifeline as we all know how nothing an economy Russia actually has. Who does China turn to? Attacking back against the US & EU & other countries... economically? That doesn't help them or protect them in an economic war. They are also damaged in a direct economic war, without having the fallback that Russia has with China... 

Biden needs to have a speech from the Oval in primetime and get ahead of this.  Make it clear on a stage that is seen by everyone that Putin is responsible for the surge in energy prices.  At the same time, perfect opportunity for him to get his domestic agenda moving again, calling for commitments in Nuclear, renewables,  as well as domestic oil/gas.  Make a commitment to the left that no new drilling will be allowed, but any open permits will honored for let's say 5-10 years.  Give the oil companies a set time to allow them to realize gains on any spending they put in place to help ensure next Winter isn't a sh*tshow.  

Nationally there is a lot of push for employee's to get back into the office.  Not sure if it's the governments role here, but it would be nice to see companies maybe hold off on that to shrink the demand for gas.

Interestingly, in a peculiar move, they actually printed that as an official release from the President yesterday.   

I don't like it and it feels like a gift to the GOP.  But they clearly see different since they've been bringing more attention to it.

16 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Biden needs to have a speech from the Oval in primetime and get ahead of this.  Make it clear on a stage that is seen by everyone that Putin is responsible for the surge in energy prices.  At the same time, perfect opportunity for him to get his domestic agenda moving again, calling for commitments in Nuclear, renewables,  as well as domestic oil/gas.  Make a commitment to the left that no new drilling will be allowed, but any open permits will honored for let's say 5-10 years.  Give the oil companies a set time to allow them to realize gains on any spending they put in place to help ensure next Winter isn't a sh*tshow.  

Nationally there is a lot of push for employee's to get back into the office.  Not sure if it's the governments role here, but it would be nice to see companies maybe hold off on that to shrink the demand for gas.

Is management losing job security with the work at home thing?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I'm not certain where that push would be coming from or exactly what that push is...

From a Commercial Real Estate push, of course they want to get employees back into office space.

From my own companies' POV, we cancelled our office lease and have been very content working from home. Saves the Company a bundle and there is no current push or "must-have" for office space. Makes our local commercial real estate agents and owners quite unhappy though (if our attitude were the prevalent attitude)

From my own perspective and that of multiple co-workers, I'd rather work from home and do NOT want to get back into the office.

If it's a push to get people back to work in general, I think that's happening anyways.

But I agree with that last part: avoiding the cost of rush hour/ traffic jams/ and all the gasoline associated with that seems another really good reason to just continue the work-from-home mindset that we've enjoyed the past couple of years.

Commercial Real Estate Agents & Owners be damned!!!

I know some mayors and other civic leaders would like more activity in urban areas. A lot of businesses that catered to people in offices are hurting. But what can you do?  Capitalism. Supply and demand.  

it’s why I cringe when I see news of more urban development in both residential and commercial spaces. Where is the demand for it?  Especially at higher prices. Young people wanted urban 2 years ago to be close to the office.  But they now see freedom to work from anywhere as more beneficial.   And it’s a catch 22.  Part of the appeal to some to living urban was the liveliness but is that diminishing as more businesses close due to decline of office workers ?

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Interestingly, in a peculiar move, they actually printed that as an official release from the President yesterday.   

I don't like it and it feels like a gift to the GOP.  But they clearly see different since they've been bringing more attention to it.

Poll numbers find it popular in the context of not buying Russian oil (like 75-25 in favor of cutting Russia off) although it remains to be seen whether that holds if/when prices spike further.

But I do agree with ewsieg that he needs to address this in a high profile way... not good enough to make a quip on the tarmac in Texas about it.

Another thing on prices... it feels like most of the attention is on oil, but agricultural commodities need more attention as well. Russia and Ukraine both account for something around 20-25% of the world's wheat output.

On top of gas prices, we will see it at the grocery as well unfortunately 

39 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Another thing on prices... it feels like most of the attention is on oil, but agricultural commodities need more attention as well. Russia and Ukraine both account for something around 20-25% of the world's wheat output.

On top of gas prices, we will see it at the grocery as well unfortunately 

Nah, we can hide that increase under 'transitory inflation' talking points for the next few years.  😉

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Poll numbers find it popular in the context of not buying Russian oil (like 75-25 in favor of cutting Russia off) although it remains to be seen whether that holds if/when prices spike further.

But I do agree with ewsieg that he needs to address this in a high profile way... not good enough to make a quip on the tarmac in Texas about it.

it was the "nothing I can do about it" part that didn't sit super awesome with me

I think the more people see Biden out there addressing the issues, the better he does. In a digital age, where media is everywhere, the more you can be seen and out in front of issues, the better you will fare. I agree with ewsieg that Biden should do a primetime address over inflation and rising gas prices. He should lay out his agenda agenda again and let the American people know what his administration and Democrats are doing.

Were I on his Comms team, I'd also get him on Facebook live and Twitter everyday. Trump may have been what he was, but I think his use of Twitter to communicate to the masses everyday and just spout off what's on his mind was a good idea. The problem for him is that he acted like an asshole, had no message discipline and tweeted insane content and a bunch of lies. I'm 99% certain the tweets and Facebook posts made by "Biden" are from some staffer and not the actual President. Getting Biden out there more personally with his own posts on social media could be effective. Have him check in from the oval office or wherever he is traveling to and let him do Facebook Live videos. Let the people see him in action, working hard everyday on their behalf.

Again, the core point is the more people see of Biden, the better he does. He shouldn't be as insulated as he has been at times. Especially now that we are battling through Covid better than ever.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think the more people see Biden out there addressing the issues, the better he does. In a digital age, where media is everywhere, the more you can be seen and out in front of issues, the better you will fare. I agree with ewsieg that Biden should do a primetime address over inflation and rising gas prices. He should lay out his agenda agenda again and let the American people know what his administration and Democrats are doing.

Were I on his Comms team, I'd also get him on Facebook live and Twitter everyday. Trump may have been what he was, but I think his use of Twitter to communicate to the masses everyday and just spout off what's on his mind was a good idea. The problem for him is that he acted like an asshole, had no message discipline and tweeted insane content and a bunch of lies. I'm 99% certain the tweets and Facebook posts made by "Biden" are from some staffer and not the actual President. Getting Biden out there more personally with his own posts on social media could be effective. Have him check in from the oval office or wherever he is traveling to and let him do Facebook Live videos. Let the people see him in action, working hard everyday on their behalf.

Again, the core point is the more people see of Biden, the better he does. He shouldn't be as insulated as he has been at times. Especially now that we are battling through Covid better than ever.

For what it's worth, his visit to the DFW area yesterday seemed to be pretty well received.

He definitely needs to be out more in 2022, especially in smaller venues like he was during his VA visit yesterday 

Edited by mtutiger

3 new post SOTU polls out that all have Biden's polling up to 45% and 2 generic congressional polls that have Dems in the lead as well.

Morning Consult: Biden Approval 45%, Disapprove 51%

Reuters/IPSOS: Biden Approval 45%, Disapprove 49%

Economist/YouGov: Biden Approval 45%, Disapprove 49%

Economist/YouGov: Democrats +5 Generic Congressional Race

Politico/Morning Consult: Democrats +2 Generic Congressional Race

For the record I believe none of these polls, least of all the Congressional polling. I think it will be a 2010 style bloodletting for Democrats because of the usual midterm factors with inflation, gas prices, and a general malaise to boot.

• Like 1

WASHINGTON—President Biden is facing calls from some Democrats to push for the suspension of the federal gasoline tax as the next move to counter soaring prices in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Democratic governors from states including Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania this week pushed Congress to suspend the tax, which amounts to 18 cents a gallon, for the rest of the year. Some Senate Democrats who are facing difficult re-election fights in November also renewed their call for legislation that would halt the tax and are urging Mr. Biden to back the bill.

Source-WSJ

————————

I’d like to hear opinions on this. Personally, I believe this is a bad idea. I know gas is higher and will likely go higher but again, I think this is a bad idea. Who knows where this situation will be in 60 or 90 days! And they’re wanting to pull the trigger on this as soon as possible in March!
Each state has their own gas tax which weighs very heavy on persons in those states. I don’t see how Californians do it. But this has nothing to do  with the federal tax. Why doesn’t California lower/suspend their gas tax? Suspending the federal tax for the remainder of the year-not good. One minute it’s about spending on infrastructure and the next it’s about cutting federal revenue on highway maintenance. If this goes beyond “transitory,” maybe we revisit this. Vouchers for gas is a bad idea as well…at this point. 

Opinions? Ideas?

Edited by 1776

"Fix the roads"

"Why is there always construction???"

It sets a bad precedent.  I'm sorry but gas prices are not out of control.  It's a cute news story and convenient talking point, like the weather, but I refuse to believe an extra $15 a week per car is crushing most people.  If it is then you are doing something wrong.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

3 new post SOTU polls out that all have Biden's polling up to 45% and 2 generic congressional polls that have Dems in the lead as well.

Morning Consult: Biden Approval 45%, Disapprove 51%

Reuters/IPSOS: Biden Approval 45%, Disapprove 49%

Economist/YouGov: Biden Approval 45%, Disapprove 49%

Economist/YouGov: Democrats +5 Generic Congressional Race

Politico/Morning Consult: Democrats +2 Generic Congressional Race

For the record I believe none of these polls, least of all the Congressional polling. I think it will be a 2010 style bloodletting for Democrats because of the usual midterm factors with inflation, gas prices, and a general malaise to boot.

I do believe he's getting somewhat of a bump... even Quinnipiac, which has been consistently been his worst poll since becoming President, showed around a 5% increase in their latest poll over their previous survey earlier in February 

Whether that lasts is another story, I suspect that it's a "rally around the flag" situation with Ukraine and may be fleeting.

Edited by mtutiger