Biden's presidency

ewsieg

5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

.... Would have preferred a call to produce more gas/oil while explaining why it's required in this time now...

And this is easy to do too:

Oil and gas is extremely tepid at making capital investments because they were burned a few times the past 5 years by the Saudi's... Solution: Advanced tax credits for capital investments (drill rigs, etc.); which they take anyways due to current tax law... but over a period of 5-20 years (depending on lease or purchase terms, useful life, etc...).

Advance the tax credit to 100% in the current year. Doesn't change the overall credit, net impact = $0 (not counting present value considerations but lets bypass that for the moment) just gets taken in 1 shot/ 1 year instead of over a lengthier amount of time. 

Then there's a rush to add more drilling rigs and our production jumps markedly.

This is the most effective way to jump production immediately.

Other than guaranteeing American producers a set price for the next 3 years (let's say $105) which eliminates their risk of price fluctuations. More than $105/ barrel = no cost to the government; less than $105 = the government covers the difference. I highly doubt this is a feasible option given the current fiscal climate so I think a definite no-go... just tossing that out there as this would also kick-start American production in a major way. But at a potential cost...

If the U.S. were to be successful at kicking Russian oil & gas out of America and severely limiting their export capability through sanctions (that only has a small effect with China buying Russian oil/ gas with no reservations...); the exposure to oil less than $105 a barrel might be minimal to nothing. So I wouldn't exactly sneeze at the US Government guaranteeing US Oil & Gas a minimum of $105 per barrel. Personally, I think it's doable. But... again... current fiscal realities are not conducive to a decision like this...

The tax credit advancement costs $0 though... Biden should get this out their immediately. Like you, I hope he has financial advisors that are thinking of production options like these...

On 3/2/2022 at 7:44 PM, 1984Echoes said:

And this is easy to do too:

Oil and gas is extremely tepid at making capital investments because they were burned a few times the past 5 years by the Saudi's... Solution: Advanced tax credits for capital investments (drill rigs, etc.); which they take anyways due to current tax law... but over a period of 5-20 years (depending on lease or purchase terms, useful life, etc...).

Advance the tax credit to 100% in the current year. Doesn't change the overall credit, net impact = $0 (not counting present value considerations but lets bypass that for the moment) just gets taken in 1 shot/ 1 year instead of over a lengthier amount of time. 

Then there's a rush to add more drilling rigs and our production jumps markedly.

This is the most effective way to jump production immediately.

Other than guaranteeing American producers a set price for the next 3 years (let's say $105) which eliminates their risk of price fluctuations. More than $105/ barrel = no cost to the government; less than $105 = the government covers the difference. I highly doubt this is a feasible option given the current fiscal climate so I think a definite no-go... just tossing that out there as this would also kick-start American production in a major way. But at a potential cost...

If the U.S. were to be successful at kicking Russian oil & gas out of America and severely limiting their export capability through sanctions (that only has a small effect with China buying Russian oil/ gas with no reservations...); the exposure to oil less than $105 a barrel might be minimal to nothing. So I wouldn't exactly sneeze at the US Government guaranteeing US Oil & Gas a minimum of $105 per barrel. Personally, I think it's doable. But... again... current fiscal realities are not conducive to a decision like this...

The tax credit advancement costs $0 though... Biden should get this out their immediately. Like you, I hope he has financial advisors that are thinking of production options like these...

The oil industry is also asking for a supportive governmental permitting atmosphere, versus current non-supportive:

(I'm for combatting climate change... but I'm also a realist and an "all-in" guy that ranks "energy security" just as high as climate change. That means I am both for combatting climate change as well as fracking, supporting the U.S. Oil & Gas industry, nuclear energy, EV's and the support infrastructure needed for them, etc...):

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/biden-called-unleash-shale-counter-050001633.html

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

The oil industry is also asking for a supportive governmental permitting atmosphere, versus current non-supportive:

(I'm for combatting climate change... but I'm also a realist and an "all-in" guy that ranks "energy security" just as high as climate change. That means I am both for combatting climate change as well as fracking, supporting the U.S. Oil & Gas industry, nuclear energy, EV's and the support infrastructure needed for them, etc...):

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/biden-called-unleash-shale-counter-050001633.html

I would call BS on this one. The frackers were moving plenty of product under the old rules when prices were high enough, and prices are high enough again now.

Very well could be an outlier. Gotta wait for more polling to show movement.

Although one takeaway from the poll may be that pundits moved way too quickly to declare that Ukraine wouldn't have much impact... this is one of the first polls taken post Ukraine/SOTU. Probably better to wait before making such pronouncements

16 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

The bounce probably came from the war.  Presidents always gain during war time, at least initially.  I think it's kind of rallying against the enemy.  Not being a dick bag during the SOTU may have helped.  The bar is low.  

Incredible... these guys will breathlessly promote and write stories about Q Polls (who have been a negative outlier at every point in this Presidency), yet a poll showing something different? In the trash.

I'm open to the idea that it's an outlier until shown otherwise, but I just cannot help but notice the difference in coverage

35 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He may be doing OK, but that's not what people look at.  

Assuming that the poll is indicative of a trend (we don't know yet), Ukraine could be a factor to an extent considering his initial drop in support did coincide with Afghanistan and how that withdrawal took it's course.... I don't think that Americans disagreed with the withdrawal, but one of Biden's strengths going into 2020 was foreign policy and management of it and, to the extent that it impacted peoples views, fairly or on fairly, it was seen as contradictory to that strength.

His handling of Ukraine, by contrast, has been relatively well done (regardless of what Archie thinks) in terms of the actions taken, so it may have been only a matter of time until that started to reflect some in Biden's approval numbers.

The other part is COVID - things to seem to be normalizing a lot these days and that would probably be a benefit as well.

In any event, this Presidency so far can be divided into two parts - the part where Biden was sitting between 53-55% and the part where Biden is sitting between 41-43%.... during both parts, there was an assumption by many of inevitability, that those numbers could never change. People need to be open that external events do happen and opinions can change. 

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Not bad for a guy that Dr. Archie has diagnosed with dementia. 

You should expand your horizons a little bit.  Its not just me but the whole world.  At least Joe has an excuse that he has dementia but what is the excuse for this?

Edited by Archie

1 hour ago, Archie said:

You should expand your horizons a little bit.  Its not just me but the whole world.  At least Joe has an excuse that he has dementia but what is the excuse for this?

Again, what are your medical credentials, doc. I’m not watching your shitty YouTube video. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Archie said:

Listen… if you’re only intent here is to be a total jerk, as well as totally snarky and most times pretty insulting, (and it sure as hell seems that way), take your deflated football and find a different neighborhood.

And for members here who haven’t recognized this fact yet,  open your eyes a little wider, and choose to not be triggered by the obviousness of his posts.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Listen… if you’re only intent here is to be a total jerk, as well as totally snarky and most times pretty insulting, (and it sure as hell seems that way), take your deflated football and find a different neighborhood.

And for members here who haven’t recognized this fact yet,  open your eyes a little wider, and choose to not be triggered by the obviousness of his posts.

I'm sharing information that hasn't been shared here.  If you are saying if you aren't a liberal and Biden lackey then you shouldn't post here then say just that.  I haven't been rude or snarky.  Replies to me are but it doesn't bother me.  

Edited by Archie
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Archie said:

I'm sharing information that hasn't been shared here.  If you are saying if you aren't a liberal and Biden lackey then you shouldn't post here then say just that.  I haven't been rude or snarky.  Replies to me are but it doesn't bother me.  

You absolutely have been rude and snarky at times, so take a hike.

19 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Donald Trump is a private citizen and has no power anymore.  He said a lot of stupid things over the years.  I think we all agree on that.  I posted a recent recording of the current Vice President of the United States giving a very dumb explanation of the Russian Ukraine war.  It doesn't surprise me that you haven't heard this.  If you want to ignore it that is your choice but it doesn't make it go away and it doesn't make Harris any smarter.