Biden's presidency

ewsieg

48 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think Trump is a baffoon to the 70 million people he grifted. Sure he isn't respected world wide like Obama, but his communication was effective enough to get him elected and get him a cult following. 

OK, he is a good salesman.  He is not well spoken nor articulate.    

Edited by Tiger337

While Trump isn't going to wow you with his lofty speeches, he's clearly a very very very good politician.   I think its fair to say if you try to objectively evaluate him as a politician, putting aside your hate for him, he's really good and really effective.  

That said, he lost and he also lost both branches of congress while president.   But not sure this story is done yet.

Edited by pfife

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, I understand it's a code word but sometimes it applies.   I don't know anything about Karine Jean-Pierre, but I would say that the most important part of her job is speaking well.  How can we say it?  Erudite is not a word that most people relate to.  What do I say to a Black student who comes to me looking for advice before an interview and I think one of her best qualities is her communication skills?  Is it OK to say that she has good communication skills or is there another phrase I should use.      

LOL- the modern language minefield. A recent topic that has come up here is that the IEEE is having to deal with the fact that in control theory 'master/slave' is common terminology to describe the relationship of various components in a control system and people are pushing back on that. Well, that is the nature of the relationship as a general proposition. If you change the terminology will that terminology just also become pejorative eventually? And there is always a tension between social sciences types who are more than happy to see language 'evolve' and the hard scientific community for whom stability in language is actually a desired thing.

If we tell someone they need to 'learn to speak well' is that far enough away from saying, "Well, you seem to be well-spoken" ??? Beats me!

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL- the modern language minefield. A recent topic that has come up here is that the IEEE is having to deal with the fact that in control theory 'master/slave' is common terminology to describe the relationship of various components in a control system and people are pushing back on that. Well, that is the nature of the relationship as a general proposition. If you change the terminology will that terminology just also become pejorative eventually? And there is always a tension between social sciences types who are more than happy to see language 'evolve' and the hard scientific community for whom stability in language is actually a desired thing.

If we tell someone they need to 'learn to speak well' is that far enough away from saying, "Well, you seem to be well-spoken" ??? Beats me!

Another important thing that Jen Psaki was probably not great at was communicating without appearing to be an elementary school teacher.   She had to fight some dumb battles with the grievance committee of the billionaires and the slack jawed yokels who chear on their interests.   Hope KJP is gooder than Jen Psaki appeared from time to time at softening her hammer. 

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Another important thing that Jen Psaki was probably not great at was communicating without appearing to be an elementary school teacher.   She had to fight some dumb battles with the grievance committee of the billionaires and the slack jawed yokels who chear on their interests.   Hope KJP is gooder than Jen Psaki appeared from time to time at softening her hammer. 

True, and a measure of American misogyny that only women are criticized for lecturing. Well sometimes black men as well.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, I understand it's a code word but sometimes it applies.   I don't know anything about Karine Jean-Pierre, but I would say that the most important part of her job is speaking well.  How can we say it?  Erudite is not a word that most people relate to.  What do I say to a Black student who comes to me looking for advice before an interview and I think one of her best qualities is her communication skills?  Is it OK to say that she has good communication skills or is there another phrase I should use.      

I think it's about providing praise that is appropriately commensurate with the skill level and expectations at hand.

It is of course true that Obama is both well-spoken and articulate, but to just say so and leave it at that suggests that it is all that is expected from him. But someone at his level is supposed to be well-spoken and articulate already—it's basically a minimum requirement, so praising him for meeting that minimum comes off as patronizing and condescending. IOW, it reflects a soft bigotry of low expectations. (This phrase actually does apply here!)

As G2 suggested, upping the praise to something like "finest orator to have held the office since JFK" addresses the idea at the appropriate and expected level.

Going back to the Willie Mays example: it's not enough to say that Willie was an "instinctual ballplayer" and leave it at that, which makes it sound like he some child-like creature who could just step onto the field, do nothing more than instincts told him to, and magically insert himself into the conversation of greatest players of all time. That's why such praise of Willie was recognized decades ago as being insufficient, because he was so much more than instinctual, and he worked really hard to get great and obtain a deep understanding of the game.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think it's about providing praise that is appropriately commensurate with the skill level and expectations at hand.

It is of course true that Obama is both well-spoken and articulate, but to just say so and leave it at that suggests that it is all that is expected from him. But someone at his level is supposed to be well-spoken and articulate already—it's basically a minimum requirement, so praising him for meeting that minimum comes off as patronizing and condescending. IOW, it reflects a soft bigotry of low expectations. (This phrase actually does apply here!)

As G2 suggested, upping the praise to something like "finest orator to have held the office since JFK" addresses the idea at the appropriate and expected level.

Going back to the Willie Mays example: it's not enough to say that Willie was an "instinctual ballplayer" and leave it at that, which makes it sound like he some child-like creature who could just step onto the field, do nothing more than instincts told him to, and magically insert himself into the conversation of greatest players of all time. That's why such praise of Willie was recognized decades ago as being insufficient, because he was so much more than instinctual, and he worked really hard to get great and obtain a deep understanding of the game.

I will just say that Mays had much better baseball skills than Obama had Presidential skills.  No person in America could do what Mays did.  You political hounds will probably disagree, but I would say that there are probably hundreds of thousands of people who are qualified to be President at any given time.  They don't have the connections, money, charisma to pull it off.  Beyond money and connections, their skill at salesmanship/persuasion/bullshit is what gets them the job.  It's a big part of what they do.   

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm pretty sure I've heard commentators say Miguel Cabrera has good instincts on the base paths. What else are they suppose to say? He's slower than an ox pulling a cart in mud. There's nothing else good to say about his baserunning. 

Not gritty enough.  

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I will just say that Mays had much better baseball skills than Obama had Presidential skills.  No person in America could do what Mays did.  You political hounds will probably disagree, but I would say that there are probably hundreds of thousands of people who are qualified to be President at any given time.  They don't have the connections, money, charisma to pull it off.  Beyond money and connections, their skill at salesmanship/persuasion/bullshit is what gets them the job.  It's a big part of what they do.   

I totally agree that Mays had much better baseball skills than Obama had presidential skills. I would also say that Mays was more than just a big ball of instincts, and characterizing him as such, which was very common while he was playing, is insulting to his skills.

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Speaking of gritty, every white player is gritty. It's always used to describe them because they are considered athletically inferior to black and Hispanic players. What they lack in athleticism they make up for in grit. 

Are you saying Miguel Cabrera is an honorary caucasian because he's slowing down and becoming a better family man? 

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

Are you saying Miguel Cabrera is an honorary caucasian because he's slowing down and becoming a better family man? 

Cabrera isn't gritty because he hits for power and is a 1B. Gritty players are SS who can't hit for power but bunt and play the game the right way and look like they are running fast when in fact they really only have average speed. 

The new democrat propaganda pusher or WH liar-in-chief Karine Jean Pierre will fit in good with Biden and the dems.  She is married to a cnn reporter.  They can count on ultra liberal cnn to pass their propaganda from the White House to their 23 viewers.

18 hours ago, Archie said:

The new democrat propaganda pusher or WH liar-in-chief Karine Jean Pierre will fit in good with Biden and the dems.  She is married to a cnn reporter.  They can count on ultra liberal cnn to pass their propaganda from the White House to their 23 viewers.

At least you didn't call her articulate.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So is the skyrocketing inflation and stock market crash still on Trumps bloody hands or can we put some pressure of the Biden admin yet? 

Considering inflation is global, probably neither. We can at least give the Biden administration credit for the record low unemployment and amazing job creation. 

On 5/7/2022 at 3:32 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Considering inflation is global, probably neither. We can at least give the Biden administration credit for the record low unemployment and amazing job creation. 

Stop making sense

On 5/7/2022 at 4:32 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Price of computer video cards has fallen about 30% in three months. Some supply chain kinks are resolving, though Chinese lock downs remain a problem.

• 4 weeks later...