Week Eight: Miami Dolphins (4-3) @ Detroit Lions (1-5)

MichiganCardinal

Schwartz took over an 0-16 team, 

First year  2-14 - rookie QB who wasn't good yet and missed 6 games

Second year 6-10 -- Stafford only played 3 games.  Drew Stanton started 3

That is a noticeable improvement

He had a bigger hole to start than Campbell who had an experienced QB and a good offensive line.  

Do you think this team is going 6-11 this year?    They would need to go 5-5 the rest of the way.  Not with that defense, or coaching.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Several games...............First half they looked good, did a lot of good things.  Other team adjusted at the half and the Lions had NO answer for it.   Even the one game they did win they got outscored 27-14 in the second half and if it wasn't for a very boneheaded move by Ron Rivera they would have been within one score at the end.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Schwartz took over an 0-16 team, 

First year  2-14 - rookie QB who wasn't good yet and missed 6 games

Second year 6-10 -- Stafford only played 3 games.  Drew Stanton started 3

That is a noticeable improvement

He had a bigger hole to start than Campbell who had an experienced QB and a good offensive line.  

Do you think this team is going 6-11 this year?    They would need to go 5-5 the rest of the way.  Not with that defense, or coaching.  

Well, the second year under Schwartz they won the final four games. After this point in their Lions career, Campbell has a better record. I distinctly remember people complaining about the Lions winning meaningless games at the end of the year because of draft position.

I would say this Lions team isn't any better than that 0-16 team. That 0-16 team had a generational talent in Johnson and a franchise QB in the waiting in the waiting in Stafford. Stafford was the reason the 2020 Lions weren't a 2 win team.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know how anyone can justify keeping Campbell around another year.   I've seen enough.    

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't know how anyone can watch this game and think it was Campbell's fault.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's weird how people are giving Campbell a much shorter leash than Schwartz had.

I think it's called: "Lions Fatigue".

I don't know about you... but I'm exhausted with Lions' incessant foibles. I think my patience is gone. I'm not interested in repeating 5 years of Fontes or 5 years of Mornhinweg or 5 years of Quinntricia or anything like that anymore.

I'm just exhausted. So I think my patience is gone. Campbell deserves a legitimate shot to show he can lead this team. But based on what I'm seeing, I don't know if that extends beyond this season.

I get that the team isn't complete - talent-wise yet. But I'm seeing too many other problems with this team... that are a direct result of "coaching". From Campbell on down. I think any move during the season is idiotic. He should be given this year to make whatever of this team that he can... improvements or otherwise.

But in the offseason: an evaluation needs to be made. Is Campbell the right guy? That's it. I don't have any more patience for dragging out years of a losing coach's inability to win games in the NFL.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think it's called: "Lions Fatigue".

I don't know about you... but I'm exhausted with Lions' incessant foibles. I think my patience is gone. I'm not interested in repeating 5 years of Fontes or 5 years of Mornhinweg or 5 years of Quinntricia or anything like that anymore.

I'm just exhausted. So I think my patience is gone. Campbell deserves a legitimate shot to show he can lead this team. But based on what I'm seeing, I don't know if that extends beyond this season.

I get that the team isn't complete - talent-wise yet. But I'm seeing too many other problems with this team... that are a direct result of "coaching". From Campbell on down. I think any move during the season is idiotic. He should be given this year to make whatever of this team that he can... improvements or otherwise.

But in the offseason: an evaluation needs to be made. Is Campbell the right guy? That's it. I don't have any more patience for dragging out years of a losing coach's inability to win games in the NFL.

Change coaches and let them bring in new players in a complete rebuild. Rinse and repeat. A tradition...for over 60 years. And yet there are people who struggle to defend this joke of a franchise.  😑😑

We're about to potentially be 1-7. If that isn't the wheels falling off, I don't know what is. How much more of a leash does Dan Campbell get? 

I've said all season and preseason that I wanted to see growth and improvement more than wins. While I still believe that, at some point though you have to start winning. If you're still sitting at 1 win and you're 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, and can't win a game on the road ever, the improvement argument holds less and less weight with every loss.

6 hours ago, holygoat said:

I'm not saying that Campbell needs to go, but if Sheila fired him tomorrow, I wouldn't argue. This team should be better than it is right now.

The one other person that HAS TO BE FIRED if Campbell goes is Rod Wood. If Campbell does go there is no reason why the Team President who helped hire the last two failed head coaches should keep his job. Sheila has to fire Rod Wood if she's going to fire Campbell.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The one other person that HAS TO BE FIRED if Campbell goes is Rod Wood. If Campbell does go there is no reason why the Team President who helped hire the last two failed head coaches should keep his job. Sheila has to fire Rod Wood if she's going to fire Campbell.

Rod Wood is a friend of the family.  I doubt he ever gets fired.   He might be reassigned but he will never be fired. 

Hired the coach before the GM.    I still don't get that one but hey, it's the Lions.   

Packers keep losing so all is fine by me.  

Trade deadline is Tuesday.   Trade Swift if you can get a 2nd round pick for him.   Trade Hock too if you can get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him.  Swift is never going to be fully healthy for the bulk of a season and Hock is good, but he's not living up to where they drafted him and I think it's easier to find a quality TE than other positions.   Load up on draft picks, build a defense.   

17 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

NFL needs to take Thanksgiving away from the Lions.   You want it back.........string two winning seasons back to back and you can have the game back.   Enough already.  

Shit, man, you’re gonna do that, might as well move them to London already …

11 hours ago, buddha said:

campbell isnt getting fired.  not even if they go 1-16 (which they wont).

I don't think its likely but i don't think you can say "isn't either."

No matter how much you like a guy 6 wins (or whatever he finishes with) is pretty bad. And its hard to keep a coach who isn't their first year when you end up as the worst team. 

Id say there is a better than 50/50 chance he gets fired if they win under 3 games this year. 

I don't really have a reason to think that other than just the fact that coaches generally don't keep their jobs after a 3 win and sub 3 win season their first two years no matter how much of a rebuild it was to start with. 

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id say there is a better than 50/50 chance he gets fired if they win under 3 games this year. 

I don't really have a reason to think that other than just the fact that coaches generally don't keep their jobs after a 3 win and sub 3 win season their first two years no matter how much of a rebuild it was to start with. 

There is probably a lot of personal/family dynamics history/baggage that can come into play here. How determined is SHF to prove she isn't her father (or even mother)?  Would she make a move just to prove the organization is serious about perform or go, or is she her father's daughter, at heart a 'softie' who is loath to fire someone she likes that she thinks is trying? My completely uninformed guess is that those peronsal dynamics for SHF will have more to do with whether Campbell keeps his job after a sub 6 win season than the object facts of the record itself.

30 minutes ago, KL2 said:

I don't think its likely but i don't think you can say "isn't either."

No matter how much you like a guy 6 wins (or whatever he finishes with) is pretty bad. And its hard to keep a coach who isn't their first year when you end up as the worst team. 

Let's say the Lions win 3 games this year again and not a single game on the road. Going 6-27-1 over two seasons, with no road wins is not just a sign of futility from the coach or broader organization. It is a troubling sign that your players aren't developing and improving under your leadership and your staff's leadership. If there is no growth on the field from individual players, position groups as a whole, and the entirety of a team, what's the point of keeping the coach around for more of the same?

I'm not saying fire Campbell yet because I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that we will see improvement from here on out. But going 6-27-1 with no road wins over two seasons is Rod Marinelli/Hue Jackson level of bad. It's really hard to justify keeping a guy at that point once the season is over.

I think how god awful of team they inherited matters, and no cap room to fix it. There are 5 guys I believe that played yesterday on defense left from the QuinTricia regime. And only Okudah is a decent player. AO is literally the worst corner and he is starting over Will Harris. Bryant and J Okwara  are bottom of the roster guys. They have only had 2 off seasons to turn over the entire defense basically. They have made some mistakes, Brockers being the big one. You can also question their lack of efforts into doing anything to improve the secondary. They have made 4 day one or day to picks on the d-line and only Melanfonwu in the secondary and none at LB. .

Having said that I am not sold on Glenn. The defense did get some pieces this year and they don't seem to be doing much better. His job is probably on the line if they don't do better on defense. The offense i believe will be above average, even with Goff, if they can ever get healthy. Which may not happen with a few guys.

I think Campbell and Holmes deserve another offseason. They have made some mistakes but have had a ton of bad luck as well with injuries. It looks like they will have some cap room when they restructure Goff and cut a few guys like Brockers and Romeo. Plus they have a ton of draft capital.

Did Brian Daboll inherit a good team in New York? Did Robert Saleh inherit a good team in New York? Did Arthur Smith inherit a good team in Atlanta? I believe that Campbell did inherit a piss poor, terrible roster. I believe that this was a 2+ year rebuild. But the whole "Campbell inherited the worst roster in the league narrative" becomes less potent when you look around the league and see 3 first or second year coaches having significantly more success than Dan Campbell is having, with rosters that weren't expected to be any better than ours.

In the case of Brian Daboll, his GM Joe Schoen is also in the first year of his job alongside Daboll.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jim Caldwell inherited a 7-9 Lions team and went 11-5 and made the playoffs. They proceeded to start the following season 1-7. As Rasheed Wallace once said, sometimes the sun shines on a dog's ass once in a while.

And he finished with a losing record, missed the playoffs and cost the team a shot at bosa or Ramsey.

Not sure what the point of your story was

56 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Point was sometimes bad teams have one off good seasons under a new coach and revert back to being who we thought they were.

yup.  nfl games are usually pretty close.  one or two lucky plays can make all the difference.