2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBH, this is starting to feel like Juan Gonzales. The best deal may be the one you don't make.

you might be right.  I don't understand the panic.  There are other ways to solve for your SS.  I'd still like to see us grab Story, but it's likely going to take close to a Semien deal to get there, which I'd be fine with.  Correa is going to get 10 years/$350M.  Not sure Taylor is good enough to play SS full-time--if that's the case, why spend that much for him to fill in as a super utility guy?  I prefer we don't spend on the OF this year--I'm good with Greene and Grossman in the corners, and Hill, Cameron and Baddoo battling it out in CF.

On 11/28/2021 at 4:22 PM, gehringer_2 said:

If Semien signed for under 200M that would seem a big nail in the coffin for any 300M contracts being offered.

oh g2.  g2 g2 g2....

never underestimate how much money billionaire baseball owners will spend on new fancy toys.

correa will probably get 350 from los angeles (one of the two franchises there) or seattle or houston.  

detroit will pay 200+ for baez or story.  but it wont be that bad because the deal will be shorter.  if you want baez for 10 years, its going to cost you 250-300 million.  but i dont think he goes for that much.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

Detroit will pay 200+ for baez or story.  but it wont be that bad because the deal will be shorter.  if you want baez for 10 years, its going to cost you 250-300 million.  but i dont think he goes for that much.

In general, the focus has so much been on the $300 million figure and less on the years... but I think the amount of time is a factor in their retrenchment on Baez/Story

Jesse Rogers of ESPN reports that expanded postseason and a draft lottery are among the things being discussed in a potential new Collective Bargaining Agreemtn. 

The playoffs would expand to seven teams per league -- 14 overall -- and would involve a bye for the team with the best record in their respective league. The lottery would involve just the top three teams, but any team that didn't make the playoffs would have a chance to earn the first overall pick, similar to the NBA and NHL lotteries. The Collective Bargaining Agreement is set to expire at midnight on December 1. 

SOURCE: ESPN

the tigers have developed just one SS in the last 2 decades, trading him away (Adames), so they are going to have to pay a premium to get a new SS

if they get one in free agency, that premium will be paid in $$$

if they wait until Feb, during that scramble, that premium will be paid in young talent thru a trade

I am as high as anyone on Kreidler, but you cannot rely on him for SS in 2022

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

oh g2.  g2 g2 g2....

never underestimate how much money billionaire baseball owners will spend on new fancy toys.

correa will probably get 350 from los angeles (one of the two franchises there) or seattle or houston.  

detroit will pay 200+ for baez or story.  but it wont be that bad because the deal will be shorter.  if you want baez for 10 years, its going to cost you 250-300 million.  but i dont think he goes for that much.

if it were summer I'd say the Rangers ownership was suffering from too much sun. :classic_tongue:

The thing I find funny is that in that supposed age of analytics, if there is one thing the numbers tell you loud and clear it's that the best players are not worth their differential cost - maybe with the exception of a pitcher like Max who is going to out there and win games all by himself. You spend your dollars just as effectively and much more efficiently shoring up weakness at the bottom of your line-up as as shelling out 300M for 2 or 3 extra WAR from guy like Semien who probably carries a 3 or 4 yr expiration date. 

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

if it were summer I'd say the Rangers ownership was suffering from too much sun. :classic_tongue:

The thing I find funny is that in that supposed age of analytics, if there is one thing the numbers tell you loud and clear it's that the best players are not worth their differential cost - maybe with the exception of a pitcher like Max who is going to out there and win games all by himself. You spend your dollars just as effectively and much more efficiently shoring up weakness at the bottom of your line-up as as shelling out 300M for 2 or 3 extra WAR from guy like Semien who probably carries a 3 or 4 yr expiration date. 

Your discounting Drunken sailors  Billionaires

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

If the reports about the Rangers interest in Seager/Story are accurate, he's probably another guy waiting to see what happens with Seager

Rangers paying $325M for 10 years of Seager, Mets paying $43.5M/Year for Scherzer....what's that I heard about "drunken sailor" being redefined?  Hope Al is not holding out for an $18M/year retread.

Well this isn't over and it won't be over until Spring Training starts - whenever that is

But this team, you look at the breakdown. 

First Base -  They have their guy of the future and he may not start with them in 22, but he will be on this team in 22 and they will ride it out with him for several years.

Second Base -  They've got their guy for the next two years. 

Third Base - Candilario is a solid MLB player.  Not great, not bad.   And if someone wants to trade for him, they'll probably use Kriedler as a 3b

Catcher - Tucker solidified 2022.  Haase is a great wild card.  Rogers will be back in 23 and Dingler may never hit but he should be ready to go by 23 or 24

Outfield - Greene will likely start the season with Detroit,  Robbie Grossman is an every day plus defender with some pop and a good OBP guy.   Between Reyes/Cameron/Hill/Baddoo - it's "prove it" territory and nothing wrong with competition

Starting Pitching could be fortified with a non-bank breaking arm

Bullpen - Pretty solid, but another arm wouldn't hurt

It's one really glaring weakness.   And there may never be another year when so many shortstops are available.  If they were to come away with nothing it would be nearly unforgivable.   

37 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

the tigers have developed just one SS in the last 2 decades, trading him away (Adames), so they are going to have to pay a premium to get a new SS

if they get one in free agency, that premium will be paid in $$$

if they wait until Feb, during that scramble, that premium will be paid in young talent thru a trade

I am as high as anyone on Kreidler, but you cannot rely on him for SS in 2022

I definitely tend to believe they are in the trade market if they fail to get one of the big ones. There are options, although they'd all be pretty disappointing in comparison 

The Tigers have just completed a four year tank job. They have been awarded some of the top talent through the draft for the past several years now. They have been dirt cheap in spending on players. This was the year they said they were ready to spend some money to bring in pieces to compliment their draft picks in an effort to get back in the game after a four year hiatus. 
I believe the organization is indeed anxious about spending real money and making commitments that today’s market requires to be competitive. If signing a starting pitcher at a fair price and trading for a “plug the hole”  catcher is Illitch’s idea of spending to be competitive is, it’s going to be a “dark winter.” I have believed, unlike most others, that the Tigers should fully expect to compete for the division top spot this season. AA says he has “the best manager in baseball.” That being the case, spend a few bucks. One or two pieces would be huge. 
I still don’t have any confidence in Illitch or Avila to move this team forward beyond simply drafting high after tanking year after year. That won’t get the job done without spending some money. This situation is exactly what I expected from this organization. Your move Al.

Cobb now off the board. The problem is not only might Al snooze on the shortstop market...and maybe rightfully so if prices are nuts and the Rangers are high..but by waiting too long to adjust the free agent pitching options are gone as well as additional bats. I don't want to be lamenting in May about how truly turrrible Simmons hits and what happened to Badoo and why are Greene and Tork are struggling while Manning and # 5 stiff starter are getting lit up as the season crashes early again. 

3 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Cobb now off the board. The problem is not only might Al snooze on the shortstop market...and maybe rightfully so if prices are nuts and the Rangers are high..but by waiting too long to adjust the free agent pitching options are gone as well as additional bats. I don't want to be lamenting in May about how truly turrrible Simmons hits and what happened to Badoo and why are Greene and Tork are struggling while Manning and # 5 stiff starter are getting lit up as the season crashes early again. 

There's still Stroman and Rodon but yeah the pitching well is starting to run dry.