2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

There's still Stroman and Rodon but yeah the pitching well is starting to run dry. 

Gray was a huge bargain at 4/56. Matz at 4/44 not so bad. Marte 4/78 acceptable as replacement bat for a weak hitting defensive shortstop. I know the market is still early and Al has done very well lately but I don't know if he moves and adjusts quick enough from his plans. This market is on warp speed due to the looming lockout and our Captain Kirk is the current 90 year old not the 1960's TV version. Warp speed mr Avilia !!!

I hate all of you for putting me in the position to defend Avila, but we were celebrating that he had struck quickly to address C and SP.  We really don’t know where negotiations are with many players who are still out there.  The frenzy over the last two days makes it seem like we’re being left behind, but that may not be the case.  I won’t say “trust in Al” (ever), but we shouldn’t despair either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I hate all of you for putting me in the position to defend Avila, but we were celebrating that he had struck quickly to address C and SP.  We really don’t know where negotiations are with many players who are still out there.  The frenzy over the last two days makes it seem like we’re being left behind, but that may not be the case.  I won’t say “trust in Al” (ever), but we shouldn’t despair either.

There's a real cognitive dissonance between people's "Correa or bust" stance and the fact that Correa is highly unlikely to sign before the CBA Expires as well.

43 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Gray was a huge bargain at 4/56. Matz at 4/44 not so bad. Marte 4/78 acceptable as replacement bat for a weak hitting defensive shortstop. I know the market is still early and Al has done very well lately but I don't know if he moves and adjusts quick enough from his plans. This market is on warp speed due to the looming lockout and our Captain Kirk is the current 90 year old not the 1960's TV version. Warp speed mr Avilia !!!

Is it possible that the warp speed with some of the current top tier signings isn’t the way to go?

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

If we don't get a good SS and sete, and we kept ourselves out of the hunt for a fair-value SP like Matz or Gray or OF like Marte, then this offseason would look like a real dud.

Even if we wind up with E-Rod and Baez, if there isn't more pitching depth added or another bat, that seems like it gives us a 50/50 shot at a winning record in 2022, even if Tork and Greene are starters for most of the season and do reasonably well. 

it's not even the money to me, it's the contract terms these teams are giving away. I don't care if they pay a SS $50M/yr as long as he is on the field producing. It's the fact the even if they can afford it, teams remain very reluctant to just cut guys making >30M/yr even when they reach mere replacement level. So they clog up the lineup. That's the killer. Well maybe you hope he has a good year - after all he did two years ago for the half season before the nagging injury, or There's a lot PR value in his chase for 'X' (like maybe 3K hits?), or Man we are going to look dumb if we cut him and the knee/back/ankle improves and he puts up 5WAR for some other team on our money.

There is always a reason to hope against hope and give the guy one more year.

Iin the end, the opportunity cost is not in the dollars, it's in the roster spots.

Edited by gehringer_2

44 minutes ago, casimir said:

Is it possible that the warp speed with some of the current top tier signings isn’t the way to go?

Most of the contracts are good deals though, and will provide good production for other teams that we need.  I would see the wisdom in getting other good players, but its not like these are stupid contracts, though Semien and Seager seem too pricey to me, and Texas is still likely to be a losing team IMO, unless they splurge for another bat and some pitching.

3 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Most of the contracts are good deals though, and will provide good production for other teams that we need.  I would see the wisdom in getting other good players, but its not like these are stupid contracts, though Semien and Seager seem too pricey to me, and Texas is still likely to be a losing team IMO, unless they splurge for another bat and some pitching.

Semien and Matz were too generous on years. Possibly Ray as well.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Iin the end, the opportunity cost is not in the dollars, it's in the roster spots.

And even though Cabrera is our example, he's not even the worst case because he is at least suitable as DH and can still give you stretches of 900 OPS even if he can't sustain it any more. We are talking Middle Infielders here, and none name ARod. Even the best hitters in this SS group would be marginal DHs when their fielding skills are gone even assuming most of their hitting doesn't go with them.

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it's not even the money to me, it's the contract terms these teams are giving away. I don't care if they pay a SS $50M/yr as long as he is on the field producing. It's the fact the even if they can afford it, teams remain very reluctant to just cut guys making >30M/yr even when they reach mere replacement level. So they clog up the lineup. That's the killer. Well maybe you hope he has a good year - after all he did two years ago for the half season before the nagging injury, or There's a lot PR value in his chase for 'X' (like maybe 3K hits?). There is always a reason to hope against hope and give the guy one more year.

There's been so much focus on money with Correa, but I wonder if part of the strategy (to the extent one exists) is to bring down his ask on years.

Stavenhagen was talking some about this on his podcast this week.... you want a guy like that on your team, but the difference between making that commitment for 10 years is different than, say, 8.

After the Seager signing, that seems  unlikely... just trying to understand the thinking

Edited by mtutiger