2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

25 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Yes, I think Garneau is the only likely one to go, and probably sign back on a minor league deal.

I think Garneau will stick around. He's the only other catcher with MLB experience in the organization now that Griener is gone.  If they have an injury, which is likely with a catcher they will need someone.

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

I think Garneau will stick around. He's the only other catcher with MLB experience in the organization now that Griener is gone.  If they have an injury, which is likely with a catcher they will need someone.

Catchers of his caliber are rather easily replaced.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

For the record, I broke this news before MLB Trade Rumors.  That’s how dedicated I am to all of you.

My bad for not coming here first ! I will not let that happen again ! But in consolation the best Baseball analytics are indeed found on this board. True. No joke. 

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

My memory of DD is pretty hazy at this point, but I get the impression that he's a lot more top-down than AA is.

One takeaway from the first couple of big signings this offseason (along with Schoop's signing as well) is that Al seems pretty good at using incentives in order to get a better deal. I would imagine that part of how they got ERod and Baez at the prices they did was because of the flexibility afforded by giving them opt-outs.

It contrasts well with the blunt-force approach by the Rangers.... lol

And if both Baez and Rodriguez opt out after 2 years then along with Miggy's expiring contract that about 71 million dollars freed for shopping. I wonder who the  available free agents in 2023/24 off season are ?

Edited by SoCalTiger
spelling

13 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

And if both Baez and Rodriguez opt out after 2 years then along with Miggy's expiring contract that about 71 million dollars freed for shopping. I wonder who the  available free agents in 2023/24 off season are ?

Some guy named Shohei Ohtani. Ask Jack Morris about him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

And if both Baez and Rodriguez opt out after 2 years then along with Miggy's expiring contract that about 71 million dollars freed for ...

That's right around the time we should be considering giving 10-year contracts to Mize, Manning, Skubal, Tork & Greene. Buy out a few FA years and their remaining arbitration years and they become FA's around 32-ish or so (depending on each guy...). That's also buying each guy's prime years...

• Like 1

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

We will need a 3rd (and probably a 4th) catcher.   Those guys get banged up.   

I'm fine with Garneau so I agree with Archie. I think the Tigers tender him a contract. As I said... I think it's Short who might get the short end of the stick.

And we can probably add a catcher on a minor league contract (AAA-type) who at least has a good glove.

If we have Offense at all our other positions... and it's looking like we now do... we can afford to take less O at that one position, Catcher, on an as needed basis.

And then we can sign Short or similar back here again in Spring Training on a minor league deal so I think we are right back to where we were with some fill-in depth. No-bat good glove SS's I think are too easily replaceable to waste a roster spot on... unless the team is completely barren there, which is not the case.

Im not too concerned with his OBP, as long as he hits for power and plays plus defense then Ill be happy.

In a perfect world you would love to have 9 guys that can get on base while hitting for power but that is just unrealistic so if you can't do that then get you somebody who is really good at one of them and Baez is one of the best at hitting for power at his position.

You look at a team like the Rays who are at the forefront of analytics and this is the approach they have taken, guys like Lowe, Zunino and others have bad OBPs but big time power hitters for their position so the Rays keep them in their everyday lineup.

We should have enough good OBP guys in the lineup with Candy, Miggy, Grossman and potentially Tork and Greene to offset his bad OBP, what we didn't have was enough legit 30HRs guy so that is going to be a real blessing for this lineup. 

26 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm not too concerned with his OBP...

I am.

He is struggling more and more with making contact. Once his contact ability goes too far down, he won't be able to get to his power...

And he doesn't take walks.

Better hope he changes his approach like he did with the Mets... in a small sample size...

26 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I am.

He is struggling more and more with making contact. Once his contact ability goes too far down, he won't be able to get to his power...

And he doesn't take walks.

Better hope he changes his approach like he did with the Mets... in a small sample size...

Contact rates are getting worse across the league so it's not so much on him getting worse as it is a league wide approach and overall strength of the stuff from pitchers getting better.

The fact is that despite those issues he's still a perennial 4+ WAR player who just turns 29 tomorrow. Those skills that made him that valuable aren't going to disappear during his age 29,30 and 31 seasons.

Perhaps 4 or 5 years down the road if he is still here we may have to worry about the lost skills but we'll cross that bridge when it comes. For the near future his OBP shouldn't be of concern cause he has proven to still be valuable despite it.