2021 Postseason thread

oblong

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

whether a team or good or not there are too many random inputs into the outcome of a baseball game to look any gift horses from the opposition in the mouth. 

I  don't mean this to sound personally disrespectful, but that's the kind of thing I  normally expect to hear from anyone whenever  the team they believe to be superior is faltering, if in the alternative the tables were turned, then it "was (pick affirmative  cliche) all  along". I'll be content regardless of whoever prevails, but I have to admit that I admire the way the Braves went out and did something assertive when Acuna was injured instead of pussyfooting around claiming that it was up to some AAAA  player already in the system to "step up". 

17 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

I  don't mean this to sound personally disrespectful, but that's the kind of thing I  normally expect to hear from anyone whenever  the team they believe to be superior is faltering, if in the alternative the tables were turned, then it "was (pick affirmative  cliche) all  along". I'll be content regardless of whoever prevails, but I have to admit that I admire the way the Braves went out and did something assertive when Acuna was injured instead of pussyfooting around claiming that it was up to some AAAA  player already in the system to "step up". 

I don't have a dog in this series at all. If you have read my postings for any period of time you would know that I am a member of a group on this forum (and it's predecessor!) that for some years have been pretty consistent proponents of the statistical truth that in baseball the quality of the team has very little effect on the outcome of a short series. Or in short form: Baseball playoffs are a crapshoot.

Edited by gehringer_2

15 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I am a member of a group on this forum (and it's predecessor!) that for some years have been pretty consistent proponents of the statistical truth

Well, that's just it. On the spreadsheets,  aren't the Astros (and previously the Dodgers) the analytical  darlings?

A team like the Braves succeeding despite what the spreadsheets say,  kind of comes across as heresy  diluting the religion, doesn't it?  I believe that's why purists insist upon actually playing the games, and not just awarding the championship based upon simulation?  :classic_wink:

Edited by Useful Idiot

1 hour ago, Useful Idiot said:

Well, that's just it. On the spreadsheets,  aren't the Astros (and previously the Dodgers) the analytical  darlings?

A team like the Braves succeeding despite what the spreadsheets say,  kind of comes across as heresy  diluting the religion, doesn't it?  I believe that's why purists insist upon actually playing the games, and not just awarding the championship based upon simulation?  :classic_wink:

Simulation would probably be as good at determining a true champion as having playoffs.  Or they could just use the regular season results.  They have playoffs because they are entertaining and thus profitable.  

As for your other point, all teams use analytics now.  Just because some teams have more of a reputation for it doesn't mean they use it more.  It could be that some teams don't talk about it because they don't want to tip their hand.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Baseball in general is just so random so in turn so is the playoffs. The Tigers in the midst of their 9-24 start swept the Astros at home earlier and nobody really batted an eye at it.  Something like that would never happen in other sports yet it happens on a regular basis in baseball. 

Yes, Detroit won the season series over Houston 5-2.  It doesn't mean they were a better team this season.

Atlanta won the playoff series over Los Angeles.  It doesn't mean they were a better team this season.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I wonder how much Joe Buck costs Fox on their Baseball ratings? Can't tell you exactly why but I find the team with Ron Darling is just so much better to listen to.

Fox is second-rate on more than just the actual broadcast. That pre-game with A-Rod, Papi, and Bug Hurt is a complete clown show as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Fox is second-rate on more than just the actual broadcast. That pre-game with A-Rod, Papi, and Bug Hurt is a complete clown show as well.

They need highly recognizable personalities to capture the attention of a very restless audience which can not stay on one channel for more than a few minutes.  Hopefully, they'll hang around long enough to watch a commercial after telling their buddies their a-rod and big papi stories.  

19 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Baseball in general is just so random so in turn so is the playoffs. The Tigers in the midst of their 9-24 start swept the Astros at home earlier and nobody really batted an eye at it.  Something like that would never happen in other sports yet it happens on a regular basis in baseball. 

22 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

As for your other point, all teams use analytics now.  

I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been. When I used the term "analytic darlings" it was not so much my intent to single out teams that employ analytics, as it was to emphasize fans that make their elections of favorites based upon THEIR use* of analytics.  (I.e. fans who would insist  "My spreadsheets show the Dodgers and Astros to be juggernauts, so all other teams are just posers" that type of thinking)

* or "abuse" such as the case may be

2 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I have completely stopped watching pregame anything...I just do not have the time and even when I did I was bored to tears with it all.  I tune in about 4-5 minutes AFTER they say the game is supposed to start for football, baseball, hockey and B Ball these days.

I listen to Power Alley on Sirium XM in the morning and maybe turn on the MLB Network during the day when they're on location like this week. Otherwise, I just monitor the actual game for an inning or so at a time or when I notice on the MLB app that there are runners on base in a high leverage situation. If I see a bases-empty home run, it was probably that I tuned in by fluke or in the 8th or 9th inning.

Edited by lordstanley