2021 Postseason thread

oblong

LOL: "Even though the Atlanta Braves have won the World Series, as the result of our witnessing flagrant demonstration of outdated cultural gestures by Atlanta Braves fans, we in the commissioner's office have decided to take the high road and award the commissioner's trophy to the Houston Astros"... would they go so far?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Has Dave Roberts been fired yet?  

It'd be interesting to know how much of the pitching decision making is orchestrated by someone other than Roberts vs on field in real time.

Weren't there questionable Dodger starting lineups in the World Series a couple of seasons ago?

I really don't care either way, there's reasons I want either to win and reasons why I want either to lose.

I want the Astros to win due to Dusty Baker and future Tigers legend Correa. I want them to lose due to them winning a few years ago and my liking for different teams to win. 

With the Braves Id want them to win due to the aforementioned preference of somebody new but also cause I respect how they persevered after losing Acuna and falling below .500. The chop and battle cry is the obvious reason to root against them. 

So with all that said I guess Ill just root for a good series that produces some memorable moments. 

On 10/25/2021 at 12:50 PM, gehringer_2 said:

I don't follow, who else do you have in mind as making the decisions?

On 10/25/2021 at 1:39 PM, mtutiger said:

He may be suggesting that the front office may have some input on in-game pitching decisions.... 

Yes.  How much of it is predetermined by the front office, how much of it is based on the what the manager & pitching coach want to do.  Now, I know the field crew has an idea of what they want to do in certain situations before the game starts.  But how is it orchestrated?  Does the front office suggest/mandate going with an opener in the next game and suggest the follower and after that they trust Roberts to make in game decisions?  I guess I just kind of wonder what all goes into the game prep and what the decision making process is like during the game.

12 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Since it's not fashionable to recognize the Braves as good team, I guess the only alternative is to insist that the Astros were a Cinderella team, and the Red Sox and Dodgers were  mis-managed?   😳

whether a team or good or not there are too many random inputs into the outcome of a baseball game to look any gift horses from the opposition in the mouth. 

If you look at the winning percentage differences between baseball playoff teams, the difference in team quality is only worth a few percent in the probability of the outcome in a short series, the rest is all noise input.

Edited by gehringer_2