2021 Postseason thread

oblong

I’m going to relent in my childish resistance of supporting an American League team because they have all in one way or another hurt my precious feelings. At least the Tigers won the series against Tampa Bay and they’re a team with a low payroll that overachieves. The Tigers also handled the Astros well but I have a bad taste in my mouth about that. I love Sue but not enough to root for the Yankees. And the Red Sox can just bite me.

I also have a close friend who grew up in Detroit who lives in Clearwater and even though he loves the Tigers he wants the Rays to win. If someone other than the Rays wins the AL I’ll have to think about it. But in reality I’ll probably ignore the whole thing as I usually do when I have no skin in the game. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

We had potential for some tiebreaker games but the Yanks and Sox both won late in their games. 

A traditional set of games for the wild cards. Boston hosting New York and Cards at Dodgers.  

I got NY and the Dodgers. 

Yeah, I can see the Dodgers winning the WC game. But with Hershiser out, I don't see them advancing.

And anytime Boston and New York play, anything can happen. Look for a 4 to 4.5 hour game.

• Like 1

The only team that I would pull for in the AL is the Rays. I do think it’s cool seeing two of the old school guys managing AL teams-Baker and LaRussa.

Pulling for Cards in the NL  until they’re out and from that point on I’m for San Fran. Unlike the AL, I don’t have a deep dislike of any of the NL teams in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I can see myself completely ignoring the whole thing.

Same here. I wish the Rays luck, but I just can’t watch a team I’m not connected to. The only World Series I’ve watched with interest — other than when it’s the Tigers — was the 1975 Boston v Cincinnati.  I was kind of pulling for Boston and I hated Pete Rose. That was enough to give me a reason to care.  It’s been 46 years since anything other than my own team has been worth investing the time and emotional energy it takes.

It’s like being set up by friends for a date with a woman in whom you’re uninterested and with whom you are utterly incompatible. “Oh, but you have to like her, she has a pulse.” No I don’t. I’m not proud of being only a Tiger fan instead of a baseball fan but that’s just the way it is.

Honestly, baseball bores the piss out of me unless it’s my team. If I lived in a major league city I would probably find a way to get into the local team but I never have lived in such a city. 

My buddy lives in Tampa, and if they face the Dodgers or Giants in the Series, the plan is go to Tampa, see the Stones on Friday night, and Rays-NL on Saturday night. So that’s what I am rooting for.

We’re also rooting for afternoon games for Astros-White Sox this Saturday and Braves-Brewers on Sunday, because he’ll come up and we’ll see those.

That’s my skin in this game.

11 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Same here. I wish the Rays luck, but I just can’t watch a team I’m not connected to. The only World Series I’ve watched with interest — other than when it’s the Tigers — was the 1975 Boston v Cincinnati.  I was kind of pulling for Boston and I hated Pete Rose. That was enough to give me a reason to care.  It’s been 46 years since anything other than my own team has been worth investing the time and emotional energy it takes.

It’s like being set up by friends for a date with a woman in whom you’re uninterested and with whom you are utterly incompatible. “Oh, but you have to like her, she has a pulse.” No I don’t. I’m not proud of being only a Tiger fan instead of a baseball fan but that’s just the way it is.

Honestly, baseball bores the piss out of me unless it’s my team. If I lived in a major league city I would probably find a way to get into the local team but I never have lived in such a city. 

I used to like watching every World Series.  It had a mystique which is doesn't have now, at least for me.  It could be because I was young and I thought it was important.  It could be because before interleague play, the two World Series opponents had never faced each other before and never even faced their opponent's opponents.  It could be because there are so many playoffs series now that the World Series just seems like another playoff series rather than something that determines a definitive champion. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I would enjoy watching the Red Sox fail.  

Nothing wrong with a little schadenfreude, But would you enjoy seeing the Red Sox fail in a one game WC matchup, or on a grander stage?  Seeing despair in the faces of the fans of a team that we loath can be very  gratifying 

• Like 1