2021 Postseason thread

oblong

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Brewers always had a special place in my heart since my tee ball and first couple little league teams were the Brewers. As a 5 or 6 year old I felt it was my duty to root for the Major League Brewers team since I was part of the little league Brewers.lol so stupid. 

Ha ha I played for the Tigers from age 10 to 12.

I hate the Yankees and don't like the Red Sox anymore. I don't like the Braves chop. I don't like Cardinals fans. I don't like the cheating Astros. The Dodgers are yesterday's news to me. The Giants beat us in 2012 and I'm still sore about it.

That leaves the Rays, White Sox, and Brewers, and I would be fine if any of them win.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I hate the Yankees and don't like the Red Sox anymore. I don't like the Braves chop. I don't like Cardinals fans. I don't like the cheating Astros. The Dodgers are yesterday's news to me. The Giants beat us in 2012 and I'm still sore about it.

That leaves the Rays, White Sox, and Brewers, and I would be fine if any of them win.

I don't like the Giants because they won three World Series without ever being a great team making them pretty much everything I dislike about playoffs.  It would be appropriate if they lost this year when they actually did have a great year.   

The Brewers, A'(this was the late 80s Bash Brothers teams so it was a good time to "play for them", I remember being upset when they got swept by the Reds) and Royals were my little league teams.

I seem to remember the Dodgers at one point too but the Brewers and As were the only time I actually rooted for the respective big league team.

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't like the Giants because they won three World Series without ever being a great team making them pretty much everything I dislike about playoffs.  It would be appropriate if they lost this year when they actually did have a great year.   

They won 2014 World Series after 88 regular season games, yet didn’t even qualify for the playoffs with 103 wins in 1993.

My only reason for being hesitant to root for the Rays is as a long suffering Detroit sports fan I get jealous and envious when one city gets a bunch of success and currently Tampa is that city.

They've won the last 2 Stanley Cups, the Bucs are defending Super Bowl Champs and the Rays defending AL champs. But aside from the Brewers who ironically play in the same city as the NBA champs I don't even remotely like any of the teams so they get chosen by default.

11 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

A POX on you good sir!

Ha haaa, I knew someone would bite! 😆

I don’t have the same hatred of the White Sox some here have. I root against them when the Tigers have at least a mathematical chance, of course, but as long as we’re out of it I’m fine with them, I think maybe because they’re the neglected little brother in this city, and I’m sympathetic to that kind of underdog.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I played for the Cubs, Tigers, Giants and Indians.  The Giants manager was a dbag, but it was only one year.  Everything else was good.  

I played for the Senators for two years. Yes, I’m that old. And we were terrible. All my youth baseball teams were last place, every one.

I played on one team called the SuperSonics. I hated it because we were the only team without a big league name. The Macomb Daily misspelled our team name as “Supersonies” whenever they published the standings. One game, on my birthday no less, we were shelled by the Shell Cubs, 30-1. I don’t think they would let a youth baseball game get out of hand like that anymore. We finished 0-14. I hated playing organized youth baseball. I loved playing summer morning overhand-lob sandlot ball instead, with the same group of friends, just enough to field two teams while still having to close off right field to hitters. That’s where I honed my admittedly meager skills.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chasfh said:

I played for the Senators for two years. Yes, I’m that old. And we were terrible. All my youth baseball teams were last place, every one.

I played on one team called the SuperSonics. I hated it because we were the only team without a big league name. The Macomb Daily misspelled our team name as “Supersonies” whenever they published the standings. One game, on my birthday no less, we were shelled by the Shell Cubs, 30-1. I don’t think they would let a youth baseball game get out of hand like that anymore. We finished 0-14. I hated playing organized youth baseball. I loved playing summer morning overhand-lob sandlot ball instead, with the same group of friends, just enough to field two teams while still having to close off right field to hitters. That’s where I honed my admittedly meager skills.

Yeah, I remember playing right field out. Just enough kids to play. Then we would flip for ups, to see which team hit first....lol

20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, I remember playing right field out. Just enough kids to play. Then we would flip for ups, to see which team hit first....lol

And since right field was out, you had to throw ground balls to the pitcher to get the batter out at first.

You also had to supply the catcher.

We had exactly zero left-handed hitters among the two groups of kids I’d play sandlot with, so closing off RF was not an issue for anyone.

Yeah our pick up games of 3 on 3 used to consist of a SS, outfielder(generally between left and center) and pitcher. Anything hit to right side was out if a fielder touched the pitchers mound with possession of the ball before the batter got to first that was out too.

For instance if you hit a ball to the infielder since there was nobody covering 1st base all they had to do was throw it to the pitcher on the mound.

Not sure if that was a universal thing everywhere,  I think it was atleast in my era cause I moved a couple times as a kid and everywhere I played was like that. 

42 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah our pick up games of 3 on 3 used to consist of a SS, outfielder(generally between left and center) and pitcher. Anything hit to right side was out if a fielder touched the pitchers mound with possession of the ball before the batter got to first that was out too.

For instance if you hit a ball to the infielder since there was nobody covering 1st base all they had to do was throw it to the pitcher on the mound.

Not sure if that was a universal thing everywhere,  I think it was atleast in my era cause I moved a couple times as a kid and everywhere I played was like that. 

Yep.