2021 Postseason thread

oblong

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Am I the only one who feel like they've flown under the radar all season?

Don't get me wrong, all the AL East teams and NL West teams are impressive and deserve the coverage they have gotten, but the Astros are still kinda sitting there and they seem as well built to win the pennant and make a WS run as anyone 

Yeah i definitely feel they have, people love to mock Dusty Baker but here he is again managing in the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Agree, if you're going to have wild cards you have to put an incentive out there to winning division.

I suppose they could do a best of 3 series with just the one travel day in between game 1 and 2. The higher wildcard team would host games 2 and 3 while the lower game 1.

This way both teams get atleast one playoff game at home and the money that comes with that. The division round would only be delayed a day or 2 at most in this scenario.

I think the main problem with a best-of-3 wild card series is the delay you refer to.

Right now Baseball has the season end on Sunday, with Monday open for tiebreakers. One league has their one-and-done on Tuesday and their LDS starts on Thursday, while the other league has their wild card game on Wednesday and they start theirLDS on Friday.

In a wild card best-of-3 scenario, they would still need to keep Monday open for tiebreakers, so the first league’s series starts on Tuesday. If there’s a travel day built in, that means Tuesday through Friday would need to be set aside for the series. Then a day off on Saturday, then the LDS starts Sunday. That means all the division winners would have to sit for an entire week waiting to play their first LDS game. I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t start one LDS while the wild card series is going on at the same time.

And that’s just for the first league that plays. The second league that plays would start a day later, on Wednesday, because TV, meaning their LDS wouldn’t start until a week from Monday after the season ended.

We Tiger fans remember when OBT wiped out their opponents in the LCS in both 2006 and 2012, then had to wait seven days the first time and six days the other to play their opponents in the Series. Some blame the long layoff for our listless performance in each Series.

I think the prospect of such a long waiting period for division winners cooling their jets will prevent a move to a wild card series.

There is something to be said I think for long layoffs.  From March to October these guys are playing every day nearly. At the end you give them 5-7 days off I think that introduces rust. I firmly believe that’s why the Tigers were so listless in game 1 of the 2006 SS, especially hitting.  The timing gets thrown off. Baseball is so reactionary. 

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Tampa just got robbed. Guy on first, ball bounces off wall, hits outfielder and bounced into bullpen. Ruled a ground rule double (runner was rounding third)….

Next batter strikes out….third out.

Boston radio announcer calls it “a big break”. I’d say, and then some. 2019 precedent gives “no reason to give anything other than two bases” even when it hits a fielder. To their credit, Boston announcers  find that hard to believe but consensus in press box is that for some reason there must not be any discretion.  One suggests that if that’s the case, train fielders to kick balls out of play when necessary  

And sure enough, Red Sox just walk it off 

Edited by lordstanley

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Boston radio announcer calls it “a big break”. I’d say, and then some. 2019 precedent gives “no reason to give anything other than two bases” even when it hits a fielder. To their credit, Boston announcers  find that hard to believe but consensus in press box is that for some reason there must not be any discretion.  One suggests that if that’s the case, train fielders to kick balls out of play when necessary  

And sure enough, Red Sox just walk it off 

That was a huge break but I don't know how that could be ruled anything else other than a double.  It was obviously nothing intentional on the players part. 

It's a simple question. If most runners on 1st score on an actual double, then the rule should reflect that and give home plate to all runners on any ball ruled a ground rule double. If you had asked be before I did a search on this I would have said it's a slam dunk that the runner usually scores. Well - not so much - at least not up through 8 yrs ago. It's actually close enough to 50/50 that the only fair way to call it is to make it one of the umpires' responsibility to make a call about where the runner is when the ball goes out of bounds. There are 4 of them on the field, it seems one of them could be doing that.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/4/21/5631146/chicago-white-sox-adam-dunn-score-from-first-on-double

image.png.ae00e2b9b9fce9d98b2f4f20ef6e1d24.png

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's a simple question. If most runners on 1st score on an actual double, then the rule should reflect that and give home plate to all runners on any ball ruled a ground rule double. If you had asked be before I did a search on this I would have said it's a slam dunk that the runner usually scores. Well - not so much - at least not up through 8 yrs ago. It's actually close enough to 50/50 that the only fair way to call it is to make it one of the umpires' responsibility to make a call about where the runner is when the ball goes out of bounds. There are 4 of them on the field, it seems one of them could be doing that.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/4/21/5631146/chicago-white-sox-adam-dunn-score-from-first-on-double

What's the numbers look like with 2 outs and the runner presumably going on contact?

Is it cool to have a rule based on # of outs like that? I'm not sure.

I'm not a fan of rewriting rules due to extreme examples.

Kind of like "We have to make the standards extremely high beause there's a 1:15M chance of possible fraud.

Nobody's going to start throwing balls over the fence.  If they think that happens then they will say the fielder had 'posession' and that means the runner advances 2 spots from where he was when the fielder touched the ball.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I would've thought it had been a lot higher than that.  

30 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The MLB Rulebook is remarkably air tight. I was actually pretty impressed this exact play was right there. So many saying that it "should be" changed are just projecting their ignorance of the rules onto the situation.

Yeah - the rules are fine. Unfortunately, it often seems the Umpires are maybe a little tight when they are calling them....

🍷🍷🍷

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - the rules are fine. Unfortunately, it often seems the Umpires are maybe a little tight when they are calling them....

🍷🍷🍷

They nailed both of the controversial calls last night.

Luis Garcia's motion on the other hand...

I think the main issue with the call last night is that, left to its own devices, the ball would have bounced back into play. It’s not as though it one-bounced over the fence on its own. It went over because a player pushed it over. So I could envision Baseball revisiting the rule on that basis.

On the other hand, when a ball bounces off a fielders head and over the fence, it’s ruled a home run, even though left to its own devices the ball would have bounced off the fence or warning track. So there’s that precedent, too.

I don’t have a strong opinion on it either way. I’d be fine with it bring either 100% ground rule double or replay umpire discretion.