2021 Postseason thread

oblong

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm hoping that they hit on a minor league arm for some additional BP help this year - Faedo, Wentz, Madden...there are enough possibilities it wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Especially since I'm skeptical that the control Cisnerno found for the 1st time in his career is going to sustain.

Yes to Faedo, no on the other two (need to keep some starter candidates in the system for 6th/7th starter types)... but there could be other converts that they could turn to or, hopefully, an Erie or WM arm or two steps up...

But I still want at least one quality RP arm added by way of FA because I think (a) all avenues should be pursued and (b) the more the merrier.

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I had to check out early, but it was an instant classic it would appear

and of course the Umps had to get into the act. Game ended on a bad call on the one play where the replay almost always proves them right, the checked swings strike. But not last night. Max got a gift for strike three to end the game.

Edited by gehringer_2

34 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and of course the Umps had to get into the act. Game ended on a bad call on the one play where the replay almost always proves them right, the checked swings strike. But not last night. Max got a gift for strike three to end the game.

I hate to see any game end on an official call especially when its a bad call.  I usually hate 1B and 3B umps making these calls because they get them wrong a lot.  The ump should have erred on the safe side that wouldn't have ended the game.  Now he will be forever known in SF as the guy who screwed up the series with a bad call.

48 minutes ago, Archie said:

I hate to see any game end on an official call especially when its a bad call.  I usually hate 1B and 3B umps making these calls because they get them wrong a lot.  The ump should have erred on the safe side that wouldn't have ended the game.  Now he will be forever known in SF as the guy who screwed up the series with a bad call.

So if the ump errs on the safe side and the Giants win, does he screw over the Dodgers? How is that fair?

Why was it not a swing?

26 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

How can you say it is a bad check swing call when there is literally no definition of what a swing is?

Granted the rule is terrible because semantically it's based on the batters intent, which is impossible to judge - in fact I would say that based on intent every checked swing should be a strike because at some level the batter meant to start swinging the bat which to me meets the definition of 'offering' at a pitch.

But practically speaking, while the rule doesn't provide an objective standard, the umpires have more or less created one, which is whether the bat crosses over home plate. (and I think this is reasonable because if the bat gets that far, it could have hit the ball.)  I think many fans think it's more poorly defined than it is because they tend to look at the batters rotation, and the batter often stops his rotation but still cross the plate. On that basis the rule seems to be as clearly understood and enforced as well an anything the umps are responsible for - which granted - may not be saying all that much!  :classic_tongue:

36 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

So if the ump errs on the safe side and the Giants win, does he screw over the Dodgers? How is that fair?

Why was it not a swing?

Replays show it wasn't a swing and not past the plate.  It wasn't even close in my opinion.   I would be ok if they used replay for game ending calls like that.  

52 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Why is "past the plate" a demarcation of a swing?

Does this mean a check swing is dependent upon how far up in the box a batter is?

As I noted - I think it has to do with practicalities. You can write a rule any way you like but in the end the umpires (or even the computers - in fact esp the computers) have to have some real objective observable on which to judge. As I see the situation, the 'bat across the plate' is about the only concrete observable in the whole situation so that is what has become the de facto standard. And yeah - if a guy stands forward in the box that's a problem for him wrt to checked swings, but it's no worse than the fact that pitchers don't get the whole theoretical K zone against tall guys (top) or short guys (bottom).