2021 Postseason thread

oblong

Are we seriously litigating what a check swing is?

Regardless that a check swing is not defined in the rule book, it is not left up to umpire discretion, either. It's been long accepted that the check swing line goes directly out from the batter, perpendicular from the line running from the pitcher's plate on the mound to home plate. If the bat crosses that line, it's a swing. If it doesn't, it's not.

The photo of the swing showed that Flores's bat fell short of that line, and in no baseball world is the point at which he stopped the bat considered a swing.

The umpire made a mistake.

Edited by chasfh

I am pretty simple. No matter what happens, my postseason needs have been satisfied by the defeat of the Chicago White Sox. I don’t have any more at stake in this post-season than I do in the 30 Years War that decimated Europe from 1618 to 1648. To me, both are equally remote. 

50 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I am pretty simple. No matter what happens, my postseason needs have been satisfied by the defeat of the Chicago White Sox. I don’t have any more at stake in this post-season than I do in the 30 Years War that decimated Europe from 1618 to 1648. To me, both are equally remote. 

It's good to see a man who knows how to be happy.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Are we seriously litigating what a check swing is?

Regardless that a check swing is not defined in the rule book, it is not left up to umpire discretion, either. It's been long accepted that the check swing line goes directly out from the batter, perpendicular from the line running from the pitcher's plate on the mound to home plate. If the bat crosses that line, it's a swing. If it doesn't, it's not.

The photo of the swing showed that Flores's bat fell short of that line, and in no baseball world is the point at which he stopped the bat considered a swing.

The umpire made a mistake.

No photo is going to be conclusive. It is a snapshot and given the mechanics of a check swing is likely to be before or after the time the swing changed directions. Kinda like measuring thickness with calipers.

Edited by Edman85
  • Thanks 1

There is no question the umpire blew this call. I listened to the audio of the game last night and refused to watch the video until this afternoon because I’m tired of the controversies from the officials occurring so frequently. I thought this would be one of those “did he or didn’t he”videos. Not at all. Terrible call. Not even in the ‘maybe’ category.

To the Giants credit they didn’t blow this up or blame the loss on the ump. They were class, especially Kapler. 

Basically... if you take a screenshot of a swing, the odds of it getting the furthest point of the swing are infimitsemial and you are likely seeing something on the way to or on the way.

If you are measuring the flange of an aircraft bulkhead that has a blend in it, taking calipers to measure it will take the maximum thickness and miss the blend.

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Basically... if you take a screenshot of a swing, the odds of it getting the furthest point of the swing are infimitsemial and you are likely seeing something on the way to or on the way.

If you are measuring the flange of an aircraft bulkhead that has a blend in it, taking calipers to measure it will take the maximum thickness and miss the blend.

I get the inappropriate methodology issue, but why are we taking a screen shot instead of frame by framing a video where we actually can bracket the maximum error based on the frame rate and the bat velocity?

:classic_wink:

Meanwhile Cora is crazy to pull Sale here.

What happened to post season baseball being the high execution level of great teams. The signature of these playoffs is rapidly becoming fielders buckling under pressure like cheap beer cans. Altuve boots the tailor made DP ball. Alvarez gives up on a fly ball that hung up long enough to make to make a dent in "War and Peace". 'stros down 3-1.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

pretty bush league move at the plate after he hit it though. Do all the posing you like, but do it after you run the bases.

I don't mind in situations like this, it annoys me when guys do it in regular season games with a half full house, but with the energy in the stadium there and the magnitude of the game I'll forgive guys for being a little overzealous and showing emotion like that. I just turned on the game too so I don't know if there was any backstory between the two. 

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Ha, I texted a friend earlier in the game that I was watching mostly to scout the Tigers’ next shortstop.  Just interviewed on Fox now. 

If were willing to pony up the money I really think we could get him. I brought up last week how former Astros Assistant to the GM Kevin Goldstein said that he thinks its between us and the Yankees for him but in the same chat he brought up how George Springer actually wanted to come here this past offseason due to Hinch but the Tigers weren't ready to spend. When somebody asked if AJ could really have that much influence on where a player signs he said yes. 

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

If were willing to pony up the money I really think we could get him. I brought up last week how former Astros Assistant to the GM Kevin Goldstein said that he thinks its between us and the Yankees for him but in the same chat he brought up how George Springer actually wanted to come here this past offseason due to Hinch but the Tigers weren't ready to spend. When somebody asked if AJ could really have that much influence on where a player signs he said yes. 

If they spent enough money I'm sure they could sign Correa.  We've heard the Yankees are very interested too so its going to cost them a lot.  If you were a player and wanted to contend for WS every year where would you rather play?

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

pretty bush league move at the plate after he hit it though. Do all the posing you like, but do it after you run the bases.

I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary.  They all do stuff like that now and young fans love it.  Pitchers pose too.  It's what the game is all about.  Well, that and gambling.  

11 hours ago, Edman85 said:

You want video? OK.

Same video they showed during the game.

There is no controversy because literally no one is claiming that he swung after all.

The umpire botched it. I'm not blaming him for the loss, because the Giants made their share of fatal mistakes (Doval in the ninth?). But the umpire's botched call sealed the loss and robbed the Giants of overcoming their own mistakes.