2021 Postseason thread

oblong

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - I just brought up gameday to check the score and thought  - '"gee - a close game, maybe I'll watch" and then Schwarber 'unclosed' it.

People will put it all on Urquidy, but Altuve owns some of that too. Boots a tailor made DP, then bad shit happens... that's playoff baseball for ya.

TBH, after watching the replay, that was a pretty terrible hop Altuve was trying to corral. 

I can't figure the scoring on the play though. The MLB box calls it a fielder's choice and an error. But Altuve never made a throw to any base. No play was made, everyone moved up one base and a run scored. That's just an error - or a  single. Where is the FC? If there is a FC *and* and an error either one out needed to be made or two runs should have scored - i.e. say a throw home that did or didn't get the runner and then a misplay to allow a second run to score.

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBH, after watching the replay, that was a pretty terrible hop Altuve was trying to corral. 

I can't figure the scoring on the play though. The MLB box calls it a fielder's choice and an error. But Altuve never made a throw to any base. No play was made, everyone moved up one base and a run scored. That's just an error - or a  single. Where is the FC? If there is a FC *and* and an error either one out needed to be made or two runs should have scored - i.e. say a throw home that did or didn't get the runner and then a misplay to allow a second run to score.

That call probably could have gone either way.  After watching the replay I don't think I would've called it an error.

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

That was a bad move by Washington to hold Duvall at 3rd.  Bases loaded, one out and the pitcher is next up.  If it was 50/50 chance (which it was) I would have sent Duvall.

I agree, ESPECIALLY with the pitcher batting next...thankfully the pitcher just struck out and did not  hit an inning ending grounder to short

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I just want the postseason to be over so the wheeling and dealing can begin. The postseason for me is an unwanted interruption of our Sherman‘s march to the sea. 

I don't like the post-season because it has gotten too long and the whole thing just seems meaningless.  The Red Sox and Braves will probably make the World Series because they got hot at the right time.  The media will claim that they won because they wanted it more or they play the game right or some kind of silly narrative.  It's fun if the Tigers are in it.  If the Tigers sneak in with 88 wins and then win the World Series, it will be entertaining, but it won't feel like a true championship like 68 or 84.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't like the post-season because it has gotten too long and the whole thing just seems meaningless.  it won't feel like a true championship like 68 or 84.  

The post season has grown into more of a tournament than a championship. I agree with your earlier sentiments that interleague play dilutes the significance of post season matchups,  I personally see the wildcard format as an abomination, and the size of the post season schedule borders on tedious.

But personally I still enjoy the entertainment value. I just pick who I will most enjoy seeing lose, and support the other guy 

48 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't like the post-season because it has gotten too long and the whole thing just seems meaningless.

It's been three rounds  - 5/7/7-  for a long time now hasn't it? As long as they keep each series to 2 travel days it can't really get any shorter. I guess the play in game adds a day?

It is too long - I don't doubt that if they add another round they might well cross the point of decreasing returns on viewership.

This postseason seems kinda easy to figure out at the moment... Houston and LA may be better teams in the grand scheme, but a combination of pitching injuries and fatigue are a really bad fit for the lineups Boston and Atlanta are featuring.

There's just no let up in either lineup... and they've cashed in on their opportunities. Particularly the Sawx

41 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's been three rounds  - 5/7/7-  for a long time now hasn't it? As long as they keep each series to 2 travel days it can't really get any shorter. I guess the play in game adds a day?

It is too long - I don't doubt that if they add another round they might well cross the point of decreasing returns on viewership.

Yeah, it's been this way for a while, but now I'm a grumpy old man, so I complain about it.  As for viewership, I think young fans follow sports differently today.  They gamble on games or play fantasy sports jumping from game to game or watching highlights on twitter.  So, I don't know than an extra round will affect viewership.  We'll see.