2021 Postseason thread

oblong

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

In two years that could be fine.

Candy would leave after 2023 as a FA... And Kreidler/ Workman would take over as SS.

If anyone is on board with that.

The benefit to signing a SS is that there is plenty of room on the defensive spectrum to slide down and still be productive.  If one wants to assume Kreidler/Workman will be major league SSs in a few seasons, .... I'm not too sure that's a risk I'm comfortable assuming, I want to see more out of both.  But, yes, Correa (or Seager/Story/Semien) could move off of SS if the Tigers have access to a major league ready SS when Candelario hits free agency.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I hate the Astros.   I'm sick of the Red Sox.  The Dodgers prove there should be s salary cap.  So I guess that means I am pulling for the Braves.   I think they built their team the right way, and that takes a long time.  

I don’t care of any of them win or lose because they are all dynasty teams, and if I don’t live in their city, I don’t root for them.

I don’t like the three teams you mentioned in part for the reasons you state, and I don’t like the Braves either because they keep perpetuating the Chop.

All I’m rooting for at this point are seven-game series, with the tying run coming to the plate in the ninth inning of Game Seven.

Edited by chasfh

I like the Braves because they were the first team to dominate cable and back then it was fun to get to watch a team outside of the Red Sox whenever I wanted.  Of course, I'd listen the Tigers on WJR if the reception was good but that was usually later in the game.  I don't really care about the Chop thing.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I like the Braves because they were the first team to dominate cable and back then it was fun to get to watch a team outside of the Red Sox whenever I wanted.  Of course, I'd listen the Tigers on WJR if the reception was good but that was usually later in the game.  I don't really care about the Chop thing.  

I can still hear Skip Carey say the name “Jeff Blauser”.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Its funny because the Braves cable dominance was always a reason I didn't like them 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Its funny because the Braves cable dominance was always a reason I didn't like them 🤷‍♂️

If I remember correctly, I believe I am older than you so our experiences may be different.  I grew up in an era where there were hardly any games on TV, so the early years of cable TV were a pretty big deal.  

• Like 1

My family didn't get PASS sports so before the advent of Fox Sports Detroit I probably watched more Cubs games on WGN than I watched Tigers as a 10-15 year old. I probably only saw a couple Tigers games a week where as virtually every day after school it felt like I was watching the Cubs. Thankfully I never became a fan of them. 

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If I remember correctly, I believe I am older than you so our experiences may be different.  I grew up in an era where there were hardly any games on TV, so the early years of cable TV were a pretty big deal.  

That's fair... also, when I came of age, they were making the playoffs yearly while still dominating cable via TBS.

They arent the Yankees, but the heavy media dosage combined with their playoff success gave them the feel of a Yankees-lite which I never cared for.

Although tbf, I never hated the Cubs in the same way despite their arrangement with WGN... 

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

My family didn't get PASS sports so before the advent of Fox Sports Detroit I probably watched more Cubs games on WGN than I watched Tigers as a 10-15 year old. I probably only saw a couple Tigers games a week where as virtually every day after school it felt like I was watching the Cubs. Thankfully I never became a fan of them. 

We had WGN for a few years in the 80s.  Harry Caray was a riot and I was disappointed when it was dropped.  

18 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If you were lucky there were three “Super Stations” available. Braves on WTBS, Mets on WOR and Cubs on WGN. 

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

If you were lucky there were three “Super Stations” available. Braves on WTBS, Mets on WOR and Cubs on WGN. 

Yeah, the Braves were first and a constant, but we had the Yankees and Cubs at various points too.  I actually didn't hate the Yankees because Rizzuto was so entertaining and they didn't win a lot of championships during that period.  

I never really paid a whole lot of attention to Harry or SKip even though I watched a ton of Braves and Cubs games as a kid/teen. The one memory I have of Skip and the color guy for Atlanta is when Chipper Jones just got called up every time he did anything they would go crazy, no matter what it was. Or if they were going to a break and showing who was coming up the following inning they would make sure to emphasize that Chipper was coming up. 

His excitement for Chipper became an inside joke with me, my brother and neighbor/best friend who would all watch the games together. We were all just young teens at the time and got a kick out of it so to this day if were around each other in public and we hear a bunch of people yelling and screaming one of us will say "God damn is Chipper Jones up or something?"  

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

We had WGN for a few years in the 80s.  Harry Caray was a riot and I was disappointed when it was dropped.  

1989 was the summer before I got my drivers license.  I was 15 and past the point of “going out and playing”, we did more of our stuff later in the day by then. Usually just hanging out at someone’s house. I spent a lot of time that summer home during the day and watching the Cubs. When they won the division I felt like a Cubs fan. It was neat.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

My favorite Cubs game was the famous Kerry Wood game, I was a sophomore in High School and our baseball game got rained out(it was actually more like snow) so I got home in time to watch from like the 3rd inning on. Still the best pitching performance I have ever seen. 

Too late to edit but I was gonna say of course at the time I didn't appreciate it as much because he gave up a hit. At that point in my life I had the Jack Morris mentality that an out is an out and a strike out is just extra pitches, so while I thought it was impressive I didn't think it was any better than a no hitter.  

One of the memorable games from the era we are talking about was the Cardinals and Braves 19 inning game where Jose Oquendo pitched four innings.  The Cardinals ran out of position players and Jose DeLeon was playing the outfield.  He kept on switching from right to left with Tom Brunansky depending on who was batting.  Every time they made the switch, they showed them running in front of Willie McGee in center and they kept showing McGee's face which made me laugh. McGee just had this innocent look all the time that was amusing.  He was one of my favorites from that era.     

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

They and Ted Turner claimed the Braves as "America's team".

I hate all teams that claim themselves as "America's team". 

Braves, Yankees, Cowboys... they can all GFT's because they ain't MY team. And I'm an American. And I like the Detroit Red Wings, the Detroit Tigers, the Detroit Lions, and the Detroit Pistons.

'Nuff said...