2021 Postseason thread

oblong

17 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Individual players have always tried to find ways to fudge the rules for an advantage. Houston’s cheating was, for the most part, condoned from top to bottom. Why do you feel compelled to deflect for  them?

i'm not deflecting anything.  i think people get really up in arms when other teams cheat and dont care when their team cheats.

ask the 1940 tigers about stealing signs on an institutional level.  do you hate the tigers as an organization because they were cheating?  the only difference between that team and the astros was the astros had modern technology.

i dont excuse the astros.  i think they should have been punished and they were.  but im not going to hold it against everyone on the team or organization forever.  seems silly and nothing but "holier than thou" bs, imo.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont excuse the astros.  i think they should have been punished and they were.  but im not going to hold it against everyone on the team or organization forever.  seems silly and nothing but "holier than thou" bs, imo.

They were awarded the World Series Championship trophy. That’s bullsh!t. There was a concerted effort across much of the team to cheat another team out of the championship. The manager was fully aware what was taking place in his dugout. Your implying that my issue with this is somehow ‘holier than thou’ is also bullsh!t. I’m talking specifically to the Astros cheating, not about every other incident in the history of MLB.  Should I apologize for being pissed off for being upset that MLB let the cheaters walk! If you want to be an apologists, go for it. I’m not up to trying to rationalize away what Houston did. 

10 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

100% true.  From what we are told he opposed it, but was too weak to stop it.

that is a simplistic reading though. I didn't really care enough about the incident to attempt a deep read about it, but the question is whether Hinch's GM had his back or not. My uninformed understanding is that he did not. If that is true, and I'm not claiming it one way or the other because I admittedly don't know, then it had little to do with 'weakness', but only with his decision to stay in the job or quit - which is a different set of questions - but still a valid set to ask.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

that is a simplistic reading though. I didn't really care enough about the incident to attempt a deep read about it, but the question is whether Hinch's GM had his back or not. My uninformed understanding is that he did not. If that is true, and I'm not claiming it one way or the other because I admittedly don't know, then it had little to do with 'weakness', but only with his decision to stay in the job or quit - which is a different set of questions - but still a valid set to ask.

Could be, but he shouldn't need his GM to back him up in order for him to control the clubhouse.  It was a team full of stars though, and they knew they could ignore him.

Put yourself in A J shoes during the scandal. The big question is when did he know. Assuming it took a while for him to know and the players did not heed his request to stop he has zero options. Go public and anger all players by betraying clubhouse confidentiality, at which point he’s finished as a manager, or continue to lobby for them to stop. To this day he has assumed responsibility without pointing fingers which is why he is still respected by the players if not all fans. 

10 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

He was in an unfortunate situation for sure, caused 100% by his inability to control the clubhouse.  Whatever happened afterwards doesn't change the fact that the players chose to ignore him.  Anyway this is all old news, there isn't anything he can do to change it now.

11 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

100% true.  From what we are told he opposed it, but was too weak to stop it.

Since Correa was one of the main public apologists of the incident afterwards so probably a clubhouse ringleader, and therefore one of the players AJ presumably couldn’t control, I have to wonder how that affects Correa’s chances of coming to play here.

Edited by chasfh

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

I don't believe for a minute that Hinch couldn't control it or his players unless he's a completely different person and Manager now.  

If the story is that AJ was against it, ripped TVs off the wall in protest of it, but it went on anyway despite him, how do you square that circle?

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Smashing tvs gets attention but nothing like a player suspension would.  He was the boss and he needed to be like a boss....unless the GM overruled him and that's would be something else.

I don't think managers by themselves can suspend players.