2021 Postseason thread

oblong

12 minutes ago, davidsb623 said:

Wood could not be the winning pitcher because he did not go 5 innings.  Rogers was the active pitcher when Longoria hit his HR so it defaults to him.

Wood was the active pitcher when Longoria hit the home run.

Tom's question is about the logic, not the rule. Wood obviously pitched longer and more effectively than Rogers, so by logic, he was more deserving of being assigned the win.

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Wood was the active pitcher when Longoria hit the home run.

Tom's question is about the logic, not the rule. Wood obviously pitched longer and more effectively than Rogers, so by logic, he was more deserving of being assigned the win.

Ooops, I forgot the game was in LA, Wood was still the pitcher.  Stupid as the rule is, the starting pitcher has to go five to get the win regardless of any other information.  It could have been a coin toss who to actually give the win to with no rhyme or reason.  

4 hours ago, davidsb623 said:

Ooops, I forgot the game was in LA, Wood was still the pitcher.  Stupid as the rule is, the starting pitcher has to go five to get the win regardless of any other information.  It could have been a coin toss who to actually give the win to with no rhyme or reason.  

That's essentially Tom's point.

I hate that I have to root for the Astros.  #WhiteSux

As early as it is into the White Sox run, the door could close much sooner.  Trading Madrigal away (top 5 overall pick) might have been the right move for this season, but hurts if they don't advance beyond the first round.  They didn't need Kimbrel to get this far.  They still have Jiminez, Moncada, Roberts and Vaughn, but Abreu is getting older and I doubt they will be able to afford to keep Anderson.  The core guys, along with their starting pitchers, are a few years away from being eligible for free agency--they really have a 2, maybe 3 year window.  The Tigers are in a much better place from a team control perspective, and should be very competitive with the Sux by 2023, with some key moves and continuing player development.

Or, I'm just a homer.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Charlie Morton in going on 3 days rest in Atlanta. I like watching them do the chop in Atlanta so a few people can complain. Hope they can close it out today.  It will be tough if they have to go back to Milwaukee.

The carping gets to me, but they have a point. The chop didn't start until the 90's or so when Deion brought it from Florida State, so it isn't like it is some grandfathered-in tradition.

20 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Wait, these guys are still ****ing that chicken?

Man, the Sox are the biggest bunch of crybabies... they whine whenever anyone pitches inside, and it can't possibly be their own play that results in them losing.

La Russa must have a problem with everybody.  

To LaRussa’s point, the Astros do suck! They should never have been permitted to keep the WS trophy. For those that really care about the integrity of the game, that will always be a huge wrong. That Hinch sat by and watched the party bothers me as well to this day. Verlander knew what was going on and rolled with it anyway. I hope Correa never wears a Tiger uniform-ever. Done with that. 

Having cleared that air, the White Sox totally suck forever. I think LaRussa is finished.He was brought in to win and….

I like Dusty Baker and I like Tony LaRussa. They’re both old school baseball guys that have been successful. LaRussa should have stayed retired. He walked away on the perfect note. 

Edited by 1776

7 minutes ago, Archie said:

La Russa must have a problem with everybody.  

Some baseball folks, myself included, will never get beyond how the Astros won a World Series. I think LaRussa is probably one of those guys. That’s not to say there was anything underhanded or wrong about this series, I wouldn’t think there was. 

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Some baseball folks, myself included, will never get beyond how the Astros won a World Series. I think LaRussa is probably one of those guys. That’s not to say there was anything underhanded or wrong about this series, I wouldn’t think there was. 

larussa didnt care when kenny rogers was cheating in 2006 world series when his buddy jim leyland was managing the tigers...

did you?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

larussa didnt care when kenny rogers was cheating in 2006 world series when his buddy jim leyland was managing the tigers...

did you?

Individual players have always tried to find ways to fudge the rules for an advantage. Houston’s cheating was, for the most part, condoned from top to bottom. Why do you feel compelled to deflect for  them?

Edited by 1776

I dont like the Astros because of what happened... but I am even less impressed with players like Tepera who use what happened to make excuses for his team's poor play.

The Sox lost this series because, outside of a four or so inning stretch Sunday night, played pretty poorly. It's that simple. This wasn't 2017 Yankees-Astros we're talking about here.

Couple Tepera's comments with LaRussa whining some more about teams pitching Abreu inside, they just are a bunch of crybabies. Good riddance.

Edited by mtutiger