2021 Postseason thread

oblong

So Max works relief in game 5 of the Divisional series and is pulled after 80 today. Urias is held to 80 in his last start and is pitching relief tonight. So Roberts' plan is to use his best starters in relief on their regular throwing days and keep their starts short enough to keep doing it? 

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

and Urias comes in and gives up the 2 run lead. You wonder if sometimes these guys think too much for their own good.

Roberts bullpen management tonight cost them. One imagines that another inning of Treinan or using Graterol easily could have resulted in something better than a tie game.

Of course, they left a lot of ducks on the pond. But still

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Roberts bullpen management tonight cost them. One imagines that another inning of Treinan or using Graterol easily could have resulted in something better than a tie game.

Dodgers' BP has the 2nd lowest ERA and third best WHIP in the majors, but instead of dancing with the ones what brung him, he has decided to be clever. That only works for Mayo Smith and maybe a much younger Tony LaRussa. :classic_tongue:

And It seems especially odd that with Kershaw out he's adding work load to Max and Urias.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Play of the game was Pederson's backup of Heredia on the ball he overplayed and missed. Pure hustle play saved what probably would have been the winning run for LA.

Edited by gehringer_2

14 minutes ago, oblong said:

I don't watch Braves home games.  I really dislike that team for some reason.  Not just about The Chop.  

This series is one I have no interest in.  I went to bed 4-4 and just now bothered to check to see who won.

I've always hated the chop.... the cultural debate is sort of beside the point for me, it's just annoying as hell.

I don't care for any of the teams left, really, but Dodgers/Braves has so far been a much more interesting series just from a baseball perspective. Great pitching, good coaching (Roberts' overmanaging aside), great storylines, etc. Ultimately, whoever wins this series will be who I end up rooting for in the WS.

The one fun thing about the baseball playoffs is the way they elevate the relative no-bodies and can bring down the stars. In most sports the playoffs are dominated by the best players - like you would expect. But in baseball you can have bench players go off for a day or two and turn a series around. I mean Eddie Rosario given his outright release by MN last year, and Joc Pederson with his 0.0 2021 WAR, with big plays both at the plate and in the field did the Dodgers in practically by themselves, while Scherzer and Urias give up leads and soon to be $30 million dollar man Seager blows the layup to give the Braves the win.

Edited by gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, Archie said:

The chop is cool when the whole packed stadium is doing it. I've followed the Braves when Smoltz was playing and all the games were on TBS. I'm not a Dodger fans so I'm pulling for the Braves.  That alone should be the curse to make them lose the series.

A high enough percentage of Native Americans are offended by it that it's not cool.  I don't think the original intent was disrespectful, but continuing to do it when it's known that many don't like it is arrogant.     

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

A high enough percentage of Native Americans are offended by it that it's not cool.  I don't think the original intent was disrespectful, but continuing to do it when it's known that many don't like it is arrogant.     

It's not even original to Atlanta - they appropriated it from FSU.

When I look out and see that big number 44 embedded in the outfield turf, it seems pretty obvious that the Braves are not a racist organization.

There will always be people looking for something to claim offense over. And whenever they do, they will usually find something that suits them.  To me the real shame is the number of people insistent upon continuing to inject their politics into sports.

If the Braves can win one game in LA, I'll be happy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The first year I saw it about 30 years, I thought it was funny.  It got old fast, much like the wave.  

Yeah.... It's sort of the same deal with the drum banging schtick that the Indians dude used to do.... it was annoying before the culture wars kicked off. And in the case of the chop (which continues to this day), it's annoying now.

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah.... It's sort of the same deal with the drum banging schtick that the Indians dude used to do.... it was annoying before the culture wars kicked off. And in the case of the chop (which continues to this day), it's annoying now.

The most annoying thing for me in Cleveland is that computerized dinging noise the have when they score a run. It might be because we heard it way too much?  I'll take the druming over that noise.

6 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

When I look out and see that big number 44 embedded in the outfield turf, it seems pretty obvious that the Braves are not a racist organization.

There will always be people looking for something to claim offense over. And whenever they do, they will usually find something that suits them.  To me the real shame is the number of people insistent upon continuing to inject their politics into sports.

Were they Braves fortunate enough to win the World Series, I could think of no better scenario than the organization bringing the governor of Georgia in to accept the trophy from Manfred. “Boo-Yah!”

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Were they Braves fortunate enough to win the World Series, I could think of no better scenario than the organization bringing the governor of Georgia in to accept the trophy from Manfred. “Boo-Yah!”

I had to think for a moment wtf you were talking about. But yeah,....that would be sweet revenge. ⚖️☯️

9 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Manfred is spineless. He’s a sell-out above all else. However, I don’t believe he would have moved the AS game had Hank still been alive.