2021 Postseason thread

oblong

12 hours ago, mtutiger said:

The start by Framber today was massive... gave the bullpen a huge rest after getting taxed in Games 2-4.

You're right!  I always enjoy seeing a bit player "step up" and enjoy the limelight. When the Sox started to get to him in the 7th, I was concerned, especially when he came out to pitch the 8th. But he finished solid.   Good defense behind him too. He only faced like two batters over the minimum, I believe?

I found it amusing that there was a discussion during the Braves-Dodgers TBS broadcast about the diminished utility of the starting pitcher.... Like, the ALCS game that preceded that is a textbook example of how useful a good starting pitching performance still can be, particularly given how slammed the Astros pen was after those three games.

And now you look at that series, setting aside the advantage the Astros have with the lead in the series, it's now the Red Sox who are in a hole because of how they have had to leverage their pitching. That was unthinkable when people were writing the Astros off after Game 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, oblong said:

I still scream "Why wasn't he pitching to Ortiz in game 2?????"

One of the biggest what-ifs in Detroit sports history. We have a fresh starting pitcher needing 6 outs with a 4-run lead against bats that had been quiet all series, and he gets yanked after one batter, a walk. 

17 minutes ago, Archie said:

I was hoping for an east coast WS so it would work better for my bedtime and TV viewing.  I think the Astros are going to mess that up.

I think the times are the same regardless of who’s playing. Based on TV network wishes.  Not the home team. 

• Like 1

I’m not watching this game five Atlanta LA contest but I am listening on the radio and the Braves announcers said that the Dodgers are so analytic oriented that when their starting pitcher was pulled in the first inning the bat boy had to run out to the field and go to every individual player to give them an update for the Apple watches or something like that. They referred to it ANALytic. As in going too far.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Do you think the sportswriters could at least wait until the Dodgers are actually eliminated before making excuses?

And I don’t buy the wear and tear argument year to year.   That these guys played last October doesn’t matter now. They had their rest.  Repeating is hard because you are playing good teams and when you do win it’s often due to good health and that has a way of evening out over time. 

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

And I don’t buy the wear and tear argument year to year.   That these guys played last October doesn’t matter now. They had their rest.  Repeating is hard because you are playing good teams and when you do win it’s often due to good health and that has a way of evening out over time. 

To this end, being in the same division with the 107-win Giants takes a toll.

But that's not really an excuse IMO. All the teams remaining have taken on water at times this season.

I guess I never realized how rare it was to repeat in the MLB. Hasnt been done since the Yankees threepeteated from 98-00 and only twice since the 70s with the other being the early 90s Blue Jays. 

In that same time frame there have been 9 repeat NBA champions(many of those 3 peat) 6 repeat NHL champions and 6 Super Bowl Champions. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I guess I never realized how rare it was to repeat in the MLB. Hasnt been done since the Yankees threepeteated from 98-00 and only twice since the 70s with the other being the early 90s Blue Jays. 

In that same time frame there have been 9 repeat NBA champions(many of those 3 peat) 6 repeat NHL champions and 6 Super Bowl Champions. 

Baseball is also a sport where the best teams generally only win 67% of the time or so... 

Just more room for variability compared to the NFL or NBA or even NHL.

• Like 1