2021 Postseason thread

oblong

The last 30 years the Braves have been to the playoffs a remarkable 21 times and only have the 1 World Series, in that same time frame the Dodgers have been 16 times and they too only have 1 championship. Between them they have made the playoffs every single season from in that time frame with the exception of 2007 yet they only have 2 championships between them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The last 30 years the Braves have been to the playoffs a remarkable 21 times and only have the 1 World Series, in that same time frame the Dodgers have been 16 times and they too only have 1 championship. Between them they have made the playoffs every single season from in that time frame with the exception of 2007 yet they only have 2 championships between them. 

I always said that the Tigers getting 4 ALCS appearances and 2 AL pennants out of 5 playoff spots between 2006-2014 was beating the odds. Especially since in none of those years did the Tigers have the best record in MLB or even AL. The only underachieving part was going 0 for 2 once having made the World Series. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I always said that the Tigers getting 4 ALCS appearances and 2 AL pennants out of 5 playoff spots between 2006-2014 was beating the odds. Especially since in none of those years did the Tigers have the best record in MLB or even AL. The only underachieving part was going 0 for 2 once having made the World Series. 

You look at that 2011 team and its amazing we made it as far as we did.  In the ALCS our lineup featured Austin Jackson(317 OBP for the year), Ramon Santiago and Delmon Young batting 1, 2, 3.  The bottom of the lineup had Raburn, Peralta(solid 2011 but was terrible for years before that) and Brandon Inge. Our bullpen had Valverde and that was about it. Of course we had a great rotation and Miguel Cabrera but still there were a TON of holes on that team.  

10 hours ago, oblong said:

Ron Darling referenced Turner getting hit on the “bicept” as he called it 

9 hours ago, 1776 said:

What else would you expect from a Yale education?

A lot of people use a silent or poorly enunciated T after a P.  I like the Darling goes strong with it.

Edited by casimir

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Arguably their best team during that stretch (2013) didn't even make it to the WS.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Throw the Cardinals in there.  16 playoff appearances and 2 championships in the past 3 decades.

Tigers never had home field advantage in the playoffs during the 2006-2014 run..., except the 06 WS due to the ASG thing.  During that team teams like the A's and Orioles were "better".  I do think we tend to overrate them.   Even in 2012 they were tied with Chicago with a week left and Chicago tanked.  Tigers were not in first until the final week.

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

Tigers never had home field advantage in the playoffs during the 2006-2014 run..., except the 06 WS due to the ASG thing.  During that team teams like the A's and Orioles were "better".  I do think we tend to overrate them.   Even in 2012 they were tied with Chicago with a week left and Chicago tanked.  Tigers were not in first until the final week.

It brings up the concept of "better".  What is better over 162 games?  I don't think 3 or 4 games out of 162 means one team is decidedly proven better than another.  Its useful for seeding, I think that's fine.

But then you look at the Dodgers as a wildcard at 106 wins and division winners at 107, 95, and 88 wins.  I'm sorry, I don't buy those division winners being better than the Dodgers over the course of a season.  MLB needs to change the one game elimination assignment to reward the better teams.

13 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Do you think the sportswriters could at least wait until the Dodgers are actually eliminated before making excuses?

The other thing here she is skating around is that the hobbled Mookie was still a four-win player in 122 games, and Cody Bellinger is born again hard in the playoffs. This appears to be a narrative of convenience.

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Baseball is also a sport where the best teams generally only win 67% of the time or so... 

Just more room for variability compared to the NFL or NBA or even NHL.

That’s a big part of it, due to the 162-game schedule.

Another big part is that it’s a lot harder for a player to single-handedly lead his team to victory in baseball on an everygame basis, like one can in football (quarterback), hockey (hot-hand goalie), and basketball (superduperstars). 

It's not surprising that it is so rare for a team to win back to back championships in baseball.  Due to the randomness in baseball results, it is mathematically very unlikely that a team that makes the playoffs two years will win both years.  If we assume 100% randomness, it's less than a 2% chance.  It's probably not 100% random, so maybe a 5% chance.  And of course, a team has to actually make the playoffs twice in order to have any chance of repeating.  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That’s a big part of it, due to the 162-game schedule.

Another big part is that it’s a lot harder for a player to single-handedly lead his team to victory in baseball on an everygame basis, like one can in football (quarterback), hockey (hot-hand goalie), and basketball (superduperstars). 

Basketball in particular.... one star player can be the difference between 58-24 and 24-58

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oblong said:

those tigers teams underachieved, imo.  that starting pitching staff - especially in 2013 - should have led to a better record.