2021 Postseason thread

oblong

31 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I listen to Power Alley on Sirium XM in the morning and maybe turn on the MLB Network during the day when they're on location like this week. Otherwise, I just monitor the actual game for an inning or so at a time or when I notice on the MLB app that there are runners on base in a high leverage situation. If I see a bases-empty home run, it was probably that I tuned in by fluke or in the 8th or 9th inning.

I hear ya.  If a Tiger game is on and I am in front of the TV it will be on, same with the other local sports.  WS I will flip between it and whatever other local game is on...like the other night it was the Wings game.

I always thought it was the same thing over and over, but now it is like getting a computer prgrammer...one of the best ever to now all of a sudden learn a new trade and TALK about being a programmer in front of millions of people...just because they were the best programmer does not mean I want them trying to entertain me or talk about it.  I mean that is the recipe for someone becoming a professor right?  Not an entertainer talking to the masses about it.

If you get a guy or 2 that can do both, then great, but unfortunately most cannot.  Stop grabbing the best players and putting them in front of a camera to do a side show before the game.  Want to special guest them....sure thing, but this full time gig for some of these guys is just brutal to watch.

9 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I have completely stopped watching pregame anything...I just do not have the time and even when I did I was bored to tears with it all.  I tune in about 4-5 minutes AFTER they say the game is supposed to start for football, baseball, hockey and B Ball these days.

Particular to baseball, the fact that there isn't halftime or intermissions makes the panels pretty useless. I'll sometimes watch halftime or intermission in the other sports (as a sort of captive audience), but I'm not showing up for the panel in pregame. So it's easy to miss the panel in baseball.

With the Tigers, since MLB.TV has started running post-games, I'll sometimes watch after a Tiger game to see AJ's remarks. But that's about it. 

Edited by mtutiger

I was never into any pregame shows either, before the advent of Twitter I would watch some of the NFL pregame  just to see any late scratches or starts just for fantasy purposes but now that is not needed. 

Ill watch post game stuff though, nice to hear from the players/coaches and highlights from the game. 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I think starters pitching fewer innings and a parade of relievers will be the norm every year.  I don't know how much farther they can go with it though.  I don't believe there are enough good arms to make it worthwhile across the entire league.  

It still seems to me that it at some point someone has to break the model of starters vs reliever altogether and just start using all their pitchers interchangeably once through the order - or less. No-one throws more than about 45 pitches, every one works on 2 days (or more) of rest. 12 pitchers, everyone works 120 IP - approx 40 3 inning appearances. Just seems inevitable someone is going to go there.

33 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It still seems to me that it at some point someone has to break the model of starters vs reliever altogether and just start using all their pitchers interchangeably once through the order - or less. No-one throws more than about 45 pitches, every one works on 2 days (or more) of rest. 12 pitchers, everyone works 120 IP - approx 40 3 inning appearances. Just seems inevitable someone is going to go there.

That could also bring down the overall cost of pitching which might be motivation for teams.

32 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

That could also bring down the overall cost of pitching which might be motivation for teams.

what I wonder most is whether that would finally cut down on pitching injuries. They believe pitch counts per appearance are a problem, but relievers still blow their arms at a rate that doesn't seem to be any lower than starters, so if it's pitch counts doing in starters then seems to me that it must be working back to back that's doing in relievers. So I'm curious to see someone try it just to see if cuts down on blown elbows.

the really outre concept I think would be interesting would be a complete shift in the game to one with essentially no full time pitchers. Pitching just rotates through the position players - everyone must throw to at 3 players but not more one inning - your allowed to have one 'finisher' to work to what ever is left of the game after the 9 starters have all thrown their requirement. with an 18+ man (maybe 27) roster nobody plays more than every other day so no-one pitchers back to back days. It would be a vastly different game - the athletes would all need to be more generalist - probably a lot more runs scored in a typical game. And there would be tons of match-up strategy for day to day lineups and inning to inning pitching choices.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't think it will ever get that extreme.  I think there are always going to be pitchers who are so good that teams will want to extend them at least 5-6 innings per start.  I don't think there are enough good arms where it would be beneficial to completely erase the distinction between starters and relievers.  I can see where teams would go to maybe three starters and let the 4th and 5th slots be bullpen games.  

The way to get around that is to eliminate off days.  But I don’t know how you do that with night games and the need for travel days. During the season you get an off day every 2 weeks.  That means your pitchers need more rest between games. The Braves had had 11 and the Astros 12 off days in since the season ended.  

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ian Anderson did have a no hitter but that was a bit deceiving. His velo was down, he wasn't getting swings and misses and he was routinely getting to 3 ball counts.  I think it was the smart play to remove him cause he looked like he was on the brink of falling apart. 

Yep. I dont get the controversy here... Brian Snitker's number one job is to win a World Series. He saw what we saw and made the call.

This isn't the regular season... you can't just leave a guy in a 1-0 game if you are concerned about his stuff or his velocity because he hasn't surrendered any hits yet. The stakes are too high...

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ian Anderson did have a no hitter but that was a bit deceiving. His velo was down, he wasn't getting swings and misses and he was routinely getting to 3 ball counts.  I think it was the smart play to remove him cause he looked like he was on the brink of falling apart. 

I didn’t get to watch while Anderson was pitching.  I did hear a small bit of the game while he was in and there was a comment about him still struggling to find the plate.  Looking at the box score, it was something like 39 strikes to 37 balls.  With that kind of ratio and a slim lead, and with the playoffs having much more of an emphasis on winning the game in front of you as opposed to the regular season when a team needs to manage itself more for the long haul, by all means, take a struggling pitcher out if there are better pitching options in the arm barn.

15 minutes ago, casimir said:

I didn’t get to watch while Anderson was pitching.  I did hear a small bit of the game while he was in and there was a comment about him still struggling to find the plate.  Looking at the box score, it was something like 39 strikes to 37 balls.  With that kind of ratio and a slim lead, and with the playoffs having much more of an emphasis on winning the game in front of you as opposed to the regular season when a team needs to manage itself more for the long haul, by all means, take a struggling pitcher out if there are better pitching options in the arm barn.

That's correct. And while he had some success retiring Houston batters, it wasn't clear to me how much longer his luck was going to last.

I'm honestly convinced that the people complaining didn't watch or weren't paying attention to his start... he walked a bunch of guys and was erratic. He struggled more than the hit column in the stat sheet showed. 

In a 1-0 game of a game Atlanta needed to win (particularly with bullpen games coming up), they made the right move and let their shut down relievers come in and finish it out. Snitker deserves praise, not scorn, for the decision 

Edited by mtutiger

For a counterfactual, what happens if Snitker leaves Anderson in, Anderson gives up some walks and some hits, then the Astros end up winning 3-2?

I'm guessing the same armchair managers would probably find themselves critical of the Braves hunting a no-hitter at the expense of winning the game.

I'm with Snitker. Having a no-hitter going at the end of 5 is so far away from the actual likelihood of throwing one that even for it's own sake it shouldn't have figured in his thinking, let along that saving his pitcher to get another good start out of him is far more important to winning the Series than getting only one great start. And as has already been pointed out, he may not have given up a hit but he was not all that sharp - the handwriting was on the wall.

I think my favorite response to the fact that Snitker was playing to win is that it wasn't an "either/or decision".

Maybe that's right, but in terms of weighing the opportunity costs at that moment, I'm gonna go with the guy who has spent almost his entire adult life in baseball over Armchair Manager Joe Blow on Twitter lol