2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

15 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

all true. And the other thing we don't really have any insight into is the frustration level between javy, the coaching staff, and Hinch. They may all still be fine and just disappointed in the outcomes, or they could all be well into a blame game dynamic and done with each other, which would play a part.

I think I'd be surprised to learn that A.J. and Javy are at personal loggerheads, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Javy doesn't want anything to do with analytics-based philosophies stressing controlling the plate, since that's nothing like what brung him to the dance in the first place.

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Javy Baez's statcast batting percentiles are about as depressing as you can get.  Every category is below average and most categories are 20th percentile or worse.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/javier-baez-595879?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Also, the new design for the percentile stats is really good.

Yeah, sharp!

image.thumb.png.15cae70defd8e33416ac080f3ced4b35.png

The design, I mean.

I would wait until the 2024 offseason, not this offseason, to look for a middle infielder if it's still a need.

You have Keith, Wenceel, and Eddys Leonard all coming up next year.

They could all flop.

Or they could stick.

But I'd want to know that before committing any dollars (FA) or trade capital there.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would wait until the 2024 offseason, not this offseason, to look for a middle infielder if it's still a need.

You have Keith, Wenceel, and Eddys Leonard all coming up next year.

They could all flop.

Or they could stick.

But I'd want to know that before committing any dollars (FA) or trade capital there.

Agree. See who sticks. Save $$$ and sign Bregman and Willy Adames in free agency if still needed. Move Baez to second. 

4 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's a d*** move, claiming a guy and then releasing him before the ink is dry.  Come on Harris, go ahead and dumpster dive but don't be a d***

He wasn't released. He is designated for assignment so he can pass through waivers and likely stay in the organization. It is a pretty common, and reasonable, tactic.

With Javy Baez, just plan to bat him 9th next year and cross your fingers he can bounce back.  Baseball players bounce from bad to respectable quite a bit.  I would bet Javy Baez at 30 yard old has at least one 700+ OPS season left in him.  I don't think you can cut him this quick and pay him to rebound with another team.  

40 minutes ago, Hart said:

With Javy Baez, just plan to bat him 9th next year and cross your fingers he can bounce back.  Baseball players bounce from bad to respectable quite a bit.  I would bet Javy Baez at 30 yard old has at least one 700+ OPS season left in him.  I don't think you can cut him this quick and pay him to rebound with another team.  

As long as no other options are definitely better, Javy is staying with the team.

3 hours ago, Hart said:

This would be my choice, bat him 9th.

He stays the starter at SS... and methinks he isn't opting out... until someone, ACTUALLY, pushes him out of his starting SS gig. If no one can push him out, then he stays there.