2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I hope guessing his diagnosis will be part of the next game’s parlay.

I saw a great gambling story, Kevin Pollak telling it to Rich Eisen.  He said that Walter Matthau was such a committed gambler that at his funeral on the back of the paper showing the order of service were Walter's picks for the games coming up that week.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I saw a great gambling story, Kevin Pollak telling it to Rich Eisen.  He said that Walter Matthau was such a committed gambler that at his funeral on the back of the paper showing the order of service were Walter's picks for the games coming up that week.

My algorithm for YouTube gives me a ton of Eisen and Pollack clips. The one where he talks about Nicholson is great… referring to Chinatown and Angelica. 

22 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Riley Greene had TJ surgery and Hinch says he'll be ready for spring training.

https://x.com/cmccosky/status/1704649262867615867?s=09

remember, this is McCosky, who doesn't know a Tibia from a Fibula. Stand by for revisions to the story...:classic_wink:

At least it's not his throwing arm, not that he ever had much of an arm to risk.

Edited by gehringer_2

Assuming this is accurate that's got to be the first time I've heard of a player having to get TJ in their non throwing arm. Also it seems pretty optimistic that he would be ready by Spring Training since Bryce Harper had it done last September and he wasn't back till sometime in May. Yeah Harper's was on his throwing arm but they were using him as a DH so I don't really see how that would change the timeline at all.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Assuming this is accurate that's got to be the first time I've heard of a player having to get TJ in their non throwing arm. Also it seems pretty optimistic that he would be ready by Spring Training since Bryce Harper had it done last September and he wasn't back till sometime in May. Yeah Harper's was on his throwing arm but they were using him as a DH so I don't really see how that would change the timeline at all.  

Harper's was the end of November.

6 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Harper's was the end of November.

Oops you're right, not sure where I got September from, maybe I was thinking of somebody else. Anyways after doing a quick google search to verify the date it seems that he was in the Phillies lineup exactly 160 days after surgery. If Greene does the same then that does indeed put in right in line with Spring Training.  

37 minutes ago, casimir said:

I'm always biased towards guys that can can get whiffs so in my mind I'm more of a believer in Olson going forward.

Yeah he doesnt have the prospect pedigree of Manning but his stuff and results passes the eye test to me.

Reese Olson is having a nice little season out of nowhere at this level and he has earned the right to be penciled in as an early favorite for the rotation next year, but I’m gonna need to see him do it for a couple more years before I believe he will be in the middle of the rotation of the next playoff team.