2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

5 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

IIRC....in the 70's the Tigers had a minor league pitching coach that taught everyone to throw a change up with an unusual grip....maybe that contributed to the arm issues that Rozema Fidrych and Morris all had

Roger Craig was a big proponent of the split finger fastball. He was the Tigers' pitching coach in the 80s (under Sparky). He managed the SF Giants after his time in Detroit

Edited by CMRivdogs

1 minute ago, Shinzaki said:

I.did a little.research..it was Johny Grodzicki...pushed the change up with a...i think...unique grip.  Lot of shoulder issues with guys in the Tigers system in the !md to late 70's

LOL - shoulder issues would almost be a welcome respite from the current elbow wastage rate.....🤷‍♂️

17 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I didn't mean that. I meant having 5 regular starter going 5-6 innings, with a couple of long guys instead of ONLY 1-inning guys, and using those long guys every time there's a 5-inning start, or an extra's game, or even in a rotation/ 6-inning game like I had it to save wear and tear on the 1-inning guys, etc...

No, I didn't interpret that from you.  The LaRussa thing (3 Ps going 3 IP each) was a bit of an extreme on the theory.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe the KC pitcher will groove him a fastball and have the catcher let him know it's coming?

Like Denny and the Mick.  And the best part of that sequence will always be Pepitone, coming up next, showing McLain where he wanted it, and McLain throwing it right at his head.

• Like 2

I think it's cool that the Lions play on Thursday instead of Sunday this week so Miggys last game can be the focal point of the Detroit fan and news coverage that day.

I guess it still might be an afterthought but I think if the Lions were playing it probably would get alot less attention by everybody. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think it's cool that the Lions play on Thursday instead of Sunday this week so Miggys last game can be the focal point of the Detroit fan and news coverage that day.

I guess it still might be an afterthought but I think if the Lions were playing it probably would get alot less attention by everybody. 

and it would be an absolute zoo down there with sellouts at both stadiums. I recall game 3 of the ALDS in 2014 was during a Lions home game but the Tigers were down 0-2 already in the series. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Totally agree. I’m just glad I don’t have to make a choice.

On 9/27/2023 at 5:38 AM, RandyMarsh said:

I doubt the NFL had that in mind when they put the schedule together, but it definitely works out for sure.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder how long they wait till they put up his statue? I don't necessarily want them to do it next year but I hope it's not one of those things like the Lions with Barry where they wait almost 25 years to do it. 

I’ll bet they time it to his HOF induction year, which I believe will be 2028.

On the ballot after the 2028 season, inducted in 2029. That assumes first ballot, which... I'm not 100% sold on. There's a lot more voters who hold things like domestic violence and drunk driving against players these days, and that number is only going to go up in the next five years.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

This, along with the substantial changes in management and coaching, might be the kind of data point that could pique the interest of a halfway decent free agent, if that’s the direction Scott wants to go in. 

74-74 excluding all the games against tough opponents at the beginning of the season.