Week Ten: Detroit Lions (6-2) @ Los Angeles Chargers (4-4)

MichiganCardinal

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Great game.  Herbert had a great game and we came out with a win against a tough team on the road.  Definitely a game that they will look at defensively and look to improve on.  Run defense looked good though and against one of the best RB's in the league.  Definitely need to improve on a more balanced strategy.  It's nice to see what our offense will look like when we have both RB's and healthy offensive line.  Not a perfect game but a win is a win especially on the road against a team that was desperate for a win.

On the whole Jaymo discussion.  I think you have to change your expectations as time goes on.  At this point it was a bad pick.  I just have accepted that.  Even if he ends up being a good to great receiver, a year and a half (lets face it will probably be two years) of low production out of the 12th overall pick is a bad pick.  I don't care how many good blocks or if he has a good play here and there.  Its a bad pick.  You really couldn't convince me that it was a good pick.  If St. Brown all of the sudden looked like an average WR, would you be OK with that because he was drafted late?  No, you would be disappointment and expect more from him.  That being said, my expectations for Jaymo now change because its already decided its a bad pick.  Now I want him to be a threat and keep on making good blocks.  At this point, I am not worried about where he was picked.  Just have to accept it was a bad pick and move on.  It does matter where the team is at as a whole when I look at individual players.  In the past I would focus more on where players were picked and their production because the team was bad. 

There's too much obsession with Jamo anyway not just here but all over social media as well. The Lions are 7-2 and have a top 5 offense yet we get all this Jamo talk. I get that he was a high pick that they traded up for but who cares right now? The focus should be on enjoying the Lions success and riding that wave. If they were losing and the offense stunk then I'd understand if that what looks like failed pick would be the center of discussion but that's not the case.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

It’s not easy when you have to make a goal line stand 8 plays in a row because the refs are garbage 

I was as bummed as anybody after that TD, but as bad as this D looked at times - they stopped 7 out of 8 plays from the 2.  That tells me the big problem is the defensive backfield.  Okay at times - but not enough consistency.  If we can get CJGJ back by the end of the season, it should help us heading into the playoffs. 

28 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I was as bummed as anybody after that TD, but as bad as this D looked at times - they stopped 7 out of 8 plays from the 2.  That tells me the big problem is the defensive backfield.  Okay at times - but not enough consistency.  If we can get CJGJ back by the end of the season, it should help us heading into the playoffs. 

Speaking of the defensive backfield, during the gameday thread I think I read a couple of people speculating whether or not Branch was injured or something  I haven’t heard anything like that post-game though, so was it just people looking for an explanation as to why the Lions were getting lit up?

Edited by lordstanley

46 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Speaking of the defensive backfield, during the gameday thread I think I read a couple of people speculating whether or not Branch was injured or something  I haven’t heard anything like that post-game though, so was it just people looking for an explanation as to why the Lions were getting lit up?

It was more people looking for an explanation as to why they weren't hearing Branch's named called as often. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Hey Lord, I think the comments were more like ...he started the year so strong, was everywhere making plays, and has not been the same since he was out a couple games back with that ankle injury...

Definite looking for some explanation...but not a new injury...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KnoxP said:

Hey Lord, I think the comments were more like ...he started the year so strong, was everywhere making plays, and has not been the same since he was out a couple games back with that ankle injury...

Definite looking for some explanation...but not a new injury...

This. He was DROY candidate before that injury and hasn’t been nearly as explosive since. Nobody is really 100% in week eleven, it could be that it’s lingered and is just taking a little bit off of his explosiveness.

2 hours ago, djhutch said:

Branch, Sutton, and Kerby were the lowest rated players on defense. Something was off on the back end. Holmes did the best he could to fix it but you can’t project your two top defensive signings are both going to miss most of the season with injuries. 

I'll beat the horse one more time. (Really I'm not looking for a horse to beat, I'm just procrastinating.)

Here is David Montgomery on the Jaymo block: “Definitely, I want to highlight (Williams). That’s the second time this year I’ve been running and Jamo’s been there to lead the way. That takes a lot from him, too, for him to be who he is and be able to run and go block for me. I was running as fast as I was, and he was jogging and he still beat me. I’m a little hurt about that. But I’ll suppress those feelings for later.” 

He was jogging and he still beat me. Classic. 😂

• Haha 1

Maybe they aren't targeting him because of his drops? I haven't admittedly done a deep dive into his performance at practice and whether or not he's dropping balls at practice. So unfair for me to speculate that. But maybe Goff just hasn't fully built up trust and rapport with him yet because of that issue or something else 

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This. He was DROY candidate before that injury and hasn’t been nearly as explosive since. Nobody is really 100% in week eleven, it could be that it’s lingered and is just taking a little bit off of his explosiveness.

Plus, it is a long year for rookies not used to playing so many weeks.

Maybe. Looks like on this play ASB went in motion to Jaymo’s side. It’s safe to assume ASB was the primary target and they were looking for Jaymo to pull the safety off. But LA blitzed from the slot and ASB remained double covered, leaving Jaymo wide open. He ended up getting the target late in the route, probably because ASB was primary target and Goff wasn’t expecting slot blitz. Maybe Goff was reluctant to throw to Jaymo but he handled his business this game and if he gets that wide open again I think Goff will be ready to pull the trigger. 

29 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Maybe they aren't targeting him because of his drops? I haven't admittedly done a deep dive into his performance at practice and whether or not he's dropping balls at practice. So unfair for me to speculate that. But maybe Goff just hasn't fully built up trust and rapport with him yet because of that issue or something else 

before this game he led the league in drops.

27 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

TFW you realize DPJ is one of five players in the NFL with a lower catch rate than Jaymo. 

DPJ in 2020 as a rookie: 14 of 20 (catches v targets) = 70% on a small sample size

2021: 34 of 58 = 58.6%

2022: 61 of 96 = 63.5%

2023: 18 targets in 7 games and Cleveland's QB play this year has been sporadic at best (PJ Walker in 5 games = 50% completion rate, Dorian Thompson-Robinson in 3 games = 54% completion rate... Deshaun Watson has been in and out of the lineup the 1st 7 games...)

Did you think you were actually making a point on DPJ?

Or do you think that maybe your comment ACTUALLY speaks to a small sample size and ****ty/ sporadic Browns QB play this year?

I vote the latter, and I vote Holmes/ Campbell actually knowing what they are doing versus Jason_R actually knowing what the deal is with DPJ.

I also vote that DPJ's stats with the Browns this year mean Jack ****.

57 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

DPJ in 2020 as a rookie: 14 of 20 (catches v targets) = 70% on a small sample size

2021: 34 of 58 = 58.6%

2022: 61 of 96 = 63.5%

2023: 18 targets in 7 games and Cleveland's QB play this year has been sporadic at best (PJ Walker in 5 games = 50% completion rate, Dorian Thompson-Robinson in 3 games = 54% completion rate... Deshaun Watson has been in and out of the lineup the 1st 7 games...)

Did you think you were actually making a point on DPJ?

Or do you think that maybe your comment ACTUALLY speaks to a small sample size and ****ty/ sporadic Browns QB play this year?

I vote the latter, and I vote Holmes/ Campbell actually knowing what they are doing versus Jason_R actually knowing what the deal is with DPJ.

I also vote that DPJ's stats with the Browns this year mean Jack ****.

image.thumb.png.15ef6846bea9f0058bd504e773357e72.png
Also DJ Chark and Tee Higgins, two other guys that people have compared Williams against, are barely any better on that score. Yes, sample size matters, yes, timing and trust with the QB matters. This is why it wouldn’t take much for Williams to change the narrative. Maybe Williams is just a busy and maybe DPJ will be an improvement over Williams as the sixth receiving option, but there is no guarantee.

But mostly I appreciate the reminder of why I have you on mute. Next time I won’t peek. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Pretty sure it's the drops. He's really good over the shoulder. It's the hands-up catches he has trouble with

Jaymo is just one of those players that people focus on.  Its almost the perfect storm with him. 

Its going to be debatable for a while.  My whole point with saying its a bad pick is that how I deal with it myself.  For me, its just an acceptance thing and allows me to move on and have different expectations with him.  The fact that the Lions are an actual Superbowl contender actually takes the pressure off of him to have big stats.  Doesn't matter where he was picked anymore.  He just needs to help us win.  If that means having 1 big play here and there and we win it doesn't matter where he was picked (for me lol).  One thing I am loving about him lately is it seems like he is maturing and is really excited regardless if he makes the play.  Just be a good teammate and do what the coaches tell him to do and he will start to see more plays called for him.

15 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I'll beat the horse one more time. (Really I'm not looking for a horse to beat, I'm just procrastinating.)

Here is David Montgomery on the Jaymo block: “Definitely, I want to highlight (Williams). That’s the second time this year I’ve been running and Jamo’s been there to lead the way. That takes a lot from him, too, for him to be who he is and be able to run and go block for me. I was running as fast as I was, and he was jogging and he still beat me. I’m a little hurt about that. But I’ll suppress those feelings for later.” 

He was jogging and he still beat me. Classic. 😂

who are you gonna believe? some random 5 year NFL vet? or a highly-opinionated poster?

• Haha 1