Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

51 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

And speaking of Warren, just yesterday I listened to some clips of her grilling the Fed Reserve chief and she was pretty spot on IMO in regards to him slowing down the economy with higher interest rates.  That said, she wants her cake and eat it too with the fact that she fully supported all of the government response which has him in a tough spot trying to handle inflation.

Most recent ADP employment survey was above forecast - don't see the Fed backing off with the job market so tight. I don't think there is any historical precedent for a 3.4% unemployment rate to be sustainable/compatible with stable prices. The Fed won't stop pushing at least until unemployment stops going down further.

EDIT: Initial UE claims came out this morning - up some from last month so maybe the trend has broken, but 211K is still a small number. Don't expect to see the Fed relent until there is a solid trend upward.

Edited by gehringer_2

42 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Even my serious posts tend to have some sarcasm in there, for the record.  

As for Warren, it was not minor and it should not be equated to misstatements.  It was a lie that was purposefully done by Warren.  Rather it was a need to feel better about herself and identify that way, done to better her position at the college, or pushed on her by the college to help pad some stats to make them look more diverse, I can't say.  But it was a lie that she went along with.  

As someone who works at a university, I would bet that the university benefitted more from this than she did.  I would think that there were a limited number of qualified candidates and perhaps no Native Americans applied. We don't usually get Native America applicants where I work (which might be a recruiting problem).  Regardless, given all the horrible things that politicians have done over the years, this ranks as pretty minor.  It's the only thing they could find to personally smear her, so they have milked it as much as possible.  

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Most recent ADP employment survey was above forecast - don't see the Fed backing off with the job market so tight. I don't think there is any historical precedent for a 3.4% unemployment rate to be sustainable/compatible with stable prices. The Fed won't stop pushing at least until unemployment stops going down further.

EDIT: Initial UE claims came out this morning - up some from last month so maybe the trend has broken, but 211K is still a small number. Don't expect to see the Fed relent until there is a solid trend upward.

I believe inflation and low unemployment have been caused by different reasons than past inflation and unemployment. In regards to unemployment, I think the pandemic caused a lot of people to leave the work force for early retirement.  A lot of other people have changed jobs to take advantage of remote opportunities and gig jobs.  It's going to take a while before everything settles down.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I believe inflation and low unemployment have been caused by different reasons than past inflation and unemployment. In regards to unemployment, I think the pandemic caused a lot of people to leave the work force for early retirement.  A lot of other people have changed jobs to take advantage of remote opportunities and gig jobs.  It's going to take a while before everything settles down.  

I think that keeps getting lost in the narrative.  And not just b/c of the pandemic but simple demographics.  The majority of baby boomers are now past retirement age.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think that keeps getting lost in the narrative.  And not just b/c of the pandemic but simple demographics.  The majority of baby boomers are now past retirement age.

Which is why immigration reform might be a really good idea.

But the unemployment is just picking up the trend that started long before the pandemic and probably was driven by so many years of near zero interest rates. The odd part really was why the economy stayed so inflation resistant before the pandemic despite low interest rates and falling unemploymnet - and I think that had to do with a period of uniquely high management leverage over workers and wages. The loss of unionization plus a psychology of weakness got baked into the psyche of the American worker and I think it overran reality by quite a bit. What the pandemic did was wake workers up to the fact the labor market is tight (because of those demographics) and they do have more normal leverage now. So now low unemployment is driving wage gains in a way we weren't seeing in say 2019 even though UE was already very low. 

As I've said before, personally I'm OK with a some wage inflation - the American worker needs it. Clearly the Fed can't let it turn into 1977, but I can only hope they don't overdo it.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Isn't Cruz a TEXAS Senator?

Or am I in some alternate universe? Where he doesn't know that El Paso borders Ciudad Juarez?

I mean, I might have to google it to remember this stuff... But... I'm not a TEXAS Senator.

I'm (NOT) flabbergasted.

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Isn't Cruz a TEXAS Senator?

Or am I in some alternate universe? Where he doesn't know that El Paso borders Ciudad Juarez?

I mean, I might have to google it to remember this stuff... But... I'm not a TEXAS Senator.

I'm (NOT) flabbergasted.

TBF to lyin' Ted, he is both right and wrong in this statement. El Paso is clearly the border, his is 100% wrong there. ElPaso is also on the Rio Grande. BUT - the area which is called 'the Rio Grande Valley' is several hundred (more like 7 than 8 )miles away where the river reaches the gulf coast. 

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

"He didn't go to the Canadian border.  He went to Sault St Marie which is 400 miles from the Lake Erie Region"

in fairness - I haven't watched the interview - IF they were talking about a particular issue at the Matamoros area the statement may have made sense - given that he still probably mispoke deliberately in saying "Biden hasn't been to the border" instead of 'the  valley'

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

in fairness - I haven't watched the interview - IF they were talking about a particular issue at the Matamoros area the statement may have made sense - given that he still probably mispoke deliberately in saying "Biden hasn't been to the border" instead of 'the  valley'

You don't MISPEAK deliberately...............you LIE. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You don't MISPEAK deliberately...............you LIE. 

and of course, a stupid lie to speak in terms of his own constituents, who certainly almost all know perfectly well where El Paso is and can only hear that as a blunder, so no value there. If he's running again in '24 and trying to polish his anti-Biden bona fides I guess maybe it works.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

My baby boomer father is 76 and has been retired for 20 years. How fortunate were baby boomers who didn't need a college education and could retire at 56. 

That was the result of Unions that everyone hates today. Not everyone but Republicans who blame unions for all the world’s problems.

• Like 1

When my sister had complications from a "routine" surgery and ended up passing away after months in an ICU and on a vent, she racked up over a million in medical bills.  Luckily she got a union job at MIchigan Bell after high school in the early 70's in a call center, retiring in the mid 90's, and the cost to her/us was near zero.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Fixed that for you, and most of us on this forum.

It has nothing to do with liking Ted Cruz or not.   What he said was not an opinion, or fudging things from a different angle, it was a flat-out lie - because he knows how stupid Fox viewers are.   I am sure less than 50% could point to more than 20 states on a U.S. map.  That's what he's counting on here.    The voters in Texas have no shame. 

• Like 1