Tigers Hire Scott Harris as President of Baseball Operations

oblong

56 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

/..sigh../ 

another bad hire.

Or maybe Harris sees a way to structure the roster well enough in spite of carrying Cabrera on the active roster whilst he’s healthy?  Let’s be honest, Cabrera isn’t an everyday DH even if he’s healthy.  But will he be healthy enough to be on the injured list at some point(s) next season?

The “problem” of finding time for lefty hitting Meadows, Greene, Baddoo, and Carpenter with Cabrera on the roster might be more of a part item issue than a full time issue.  Baddoo and Carpenter have earned enough to have a look at regular playing time next spring.  Cabrera’s physical availability.

But I think the roster space could become an issue if the bullpen is stocked with a bunch of solo inning artists and the starting rotation is filled with a bunch of twice only through the lineup types.  12 pitchers and the extra roster spot for Cabrera is fine.  I think 13 pitchers and health for all of the 4 lefty swinging OFs and Cabrera on the big league roster for elongated stretches becomes something to watch for in regards to a roster crunch.

30 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

as suggested by others, multiple DL stints is the best path forward now

I wouldn't be hesitant with it.  The physical skills to do anything besides bat & ball have evaporated.  There was ample time for him to play 1B this season, but it never occurred.  He cannot run anymore.  And for all of the intellect that he does have about the game, how does it manifest itself into actual results personally or for the team?

So, he can remain a Tiger.  He can travel with the team getting his flowers.  He can get a couple hundred PAs (and the Tigers do need some RHH in the OF/DH mix).  But they may need to be judicious about using the injured list with him as an extension of the position player availability.  Personally, I'd rather cut the cord.  But there's a way to make this work.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

The “problem” of finding time for lefty hitting Meadows, Greene, Baddoo, and Carpenter with Cabrera on the roster might be more of a part item issue than a full time issue.  Baddoo and Carpenter have earned enough to have a look at regular playing time next spring.  Cabrera’s physical availability.

Is this the same Baddoo that is hitting .198/.279/.266?  No, it's time to cut bait with him.  

33 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Is this the same Baddoo that is hitting .198/.279/.266?  No, it's time to cut bait with him.  

The same Baddoo that seems to be playing better as of late.  I don’t think it’s time to cut bait just yet, although his stock has taken a tumble this season.

4 hours ago, buddha said:

all you guys are hardcore baseball fans (some might say....baseball nerds).  most casual fans know who cabrera is but probably dont know he sucks now and would pay attention to him - as much as they would ever pay attention to baseball.

in other words, you all are outliers.

i imagine the tigers want the marketing opportunities for miggy's "last dance".  try to make back some of that $40 million they have to pay him next year.

He's still a headache in building out the 2023 roster. But if the PBO who has been hired to fix this thing is saying he can work around it, we should be able to live with that.

I do worry about the idea that he could have it forced on him from Pizza Jr, then again conversations about Miguel undoubtedly happened during the interview process so that seems unlikely to me

4 hours ago, buddha said:

all you guys are hardcore baseball fans (some might say....baseball nerds).  most casual fans know who cabrera is but probably dont know he sucks now and would pay attention to him - as much as they would ever pay attention to baseball.

in other words, you all are outliers.

i imagine the tigers want the marketing opportunities for miggy's "last dance".  try to make back some of that $40 million they have to pay him next year.

32 million

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

He may have nothing left to offer on the field, but Miggy is a revenue generator based on his name, and it is not time for the Tigers to move on from that.

Again, he can do that just as easily as a 1B coach as he can as a player.

Wave constantly to all the fans, walk over and hobnob with the fans all game when not in the coaches box (not certain if there are less restrictions on coaches versus players where he could get away with that...); yap with each team's 1B'man all game which he would love...

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Wrong. 30 million vesting options for 24 and 25, if he is top 5 in mvp votes. Otherwise it will not vest!!!

i dont think that's correct.

next year he gets paid 30 million regardless.  the options after that AUTOMATICALLY vest if he is top 5 in mvp voting, but the tigers can buy him out next year for the 30 plus the 8.  or let him play for 30.

Screenshot_20221001-181216_Chrome.jpg

Even though it's a 1 and a trillion chance there is still that chance that he finishes in the top 5 to make the options vest that's why there is a buyout. If you just bought him out with his salary then he would be forgoing that chance of him possibly making an extra 32 million guaranteed in 2024 if that miracle season were to happen, that's the whole reason he put that buyout clause in there to begin with. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1