Tigers Hire Scott Harris as President of Baseball Operations

oblong

On 9/29/2022 at 10:33 PM, gehringer_2 said:

If he can walk on the knee without making it worse. 

Not that we have any right to the information - but the diagnosis on Miggy's knee has remained sort of mysterious at the public level - all we know is it hurts and it can't be fixed. But since we have no idea what is good/bad for it, who knows what we should be expecting Cabrera to be doing or not doing to help give himself a better chance to play productively again?

It sounds like arthritis.  

I know we have no right to the information, but I don't really know why he doesn't tell us rahter than having people guess what it is. 

I get accommodation letters for a lot of students including things like student can decide not to attend class and get extensions for assignments any time they want.  It's generally easier to deal with when I know what the problem is.

I have one student who has a horrible disease which is causing her to become progressively deaf and blind.  So, I go out of my way to do everything I can to help her. 

Another student has some mysterious unknown problem and just go on faith that there is a legit reason why she misses half her classes and submits all her assignments late.  There may be good reason why she doesn't reveal it and it's her right, but it's always easier when I know the situation.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

The only contract he has for 24 and 25, is if the options vest. If it doesn't vest, the Tigers have nothing to buy out.

that's not correct.  if the options dont vest automatically, the tigers have the choice of either paying him $32 million in 2024 OR buying him out for $8 million.  

if the option vests, they dont have the choice to buy him out for $8 millon, they just have to pay him $32 million.

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

that's not correct.  if the options dont vest automatically, the tigers have the choice of either paying him $32 million in 2024 OR buying him out for $8 million.  

if the option vests, they dont have the choice to buy him out for $8 millon, they just have to pay him $32 million.

What’s to worry about?  He’s going to retire, volunteer as the first base coach, and toss BitBits to the crowd in between innings whilst wearing the Paws costume.

11 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Maybe they can trade him for someone that's actually useful in the off season.  

He's performed as well or better at the plate so far as any young player on the roster.  That doesn't make him a good hitter at this point, but if every 23 year old was shown the door after one bad year there wouldn't be anyone left in baseball.

He's demonstrated himself to be perfectly capable of being a useful player. 

He had a 112 Ops plus and a 2.1 war last year in a near full time role.  That's an average player at age 22, that's a pretty good season at that age.

Regardless of your dislike for him, the above warrants a second look, even after a tough season, especially for an org like this that has very little comparable talent.

Edited by sabretooth

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

Haven't you heard that he's figuring things out?  

The reasons for keeping him, in this current context, somewhat outweigh the reasons for cutting him, at this time.  That is all anyone is saying, your dislike for him notwithstanding, and your attempt to turn me into a Baddoo slappy for observing his recent and overall decent hitting over his time with the Tigers at a young age nothwithstanding.

If he makes it, great, if he fails, move on.  But he hasnt failed overall as a MLB player just yet, thats all I or anyone is saying.

And if he does fail in the future and you try to paint me or anyone as having been some kind of fan of his, I will call BS on your part.

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

The reasons for keeping him, in this current context, somewhat outweigh the reasons for cutting him, at this time.  That is all anyone is saying, your dislike for him notwithstanding, and your attempt to turn me into a Baddoo slappy for observing his recent and overall decent hitting over his time with the Tigers at a young age nothwithstanding.

If he makes it, great, if he fails, move on.  But he hasnt failed overall as a MLB player just yet, thats all I or anyone is saying.

And if he does fail in the future and you try to paint me or anyone as having been some kind of fan of his, I will call BS on your part.

Yes, the players that have long term success in the majors are not those who never fail, everyone goes through periods of failure and poor performance. Players who sustain success have the ability to make constant competitive adjustments, and the mental capacity to overcome adversity, two qualities that don't readily show up statistically. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Yes, the players that have long term success in the majors are not those who never fail, everyone goes through periods of failure and poor performance. Players who sustain success have the ability to make constant competitive adjustments, and the mental capacity to overcome adversity, two qualities that don't readily show up statistically. 

Yes, and time will tell whether Baddoo has the requisite skills to survive and thrive or not.  That can be said about all of our players at this point, nobody is a sure bet or even a very good bet to have a good year next year or any year after that.

I like the chances for Greene, Carpenter, Baez, Tork, and Haase to be useful as regulars (or in Haases case as a semi regular), or good, or maybe even very good in the case of Greene and Tork, but beyond that our position players are not **likely** to do well.  That doesnt mean that we just get rid of everybody else, but I'm certainly wanting improvement and sooner rather than later.

14 hours ago, chasfh said:

Again—not at all true. 

Yes, there have been various humiliations suggested for him for the past two years, first base coach is the latest and the least likely.  He isn't going to accept any of them, there is no reason why he should.  Nobody forced Mike Ilitch to offer him that money and especially not that term.  He isn't going to be a circus monkey for anybody.

7 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes, there have been various humiliations suggested for him for the past two years, first base coach is the latest and the least likely.  He isn't going to accept any of them, there is no reason why he should.  Nobody forced Mike Ilitch to offer him that money and especially not that term.  He isn't going to be a circus monkey for anybody.

On that note, if the Tigers are looking for a circus monkey for next season at the tune of $32M, I have a resume ready to send to them.

Sure, the logical thing to do is hang onto Baddoo for two reasons, he's young and he's cheap.  There's no way you're going to be able to overhaul the entire roster in one off-season, and it makes sense that Baddoo is going to stay since there's a sliver of a chance he can perform adequately enough.  If Harris does his job right, I don't think Baddoo has any shot of a starting job, but maybe he can be a bench player (especially since there are always unforeseen injuries).  

I'm not a fan of Baddoo, but I'm also not a fan of most of the hitters the Tigers currently have.  There are only three hitters worth keeping, Greene, Hasse and Baez (and you only keep Baez because of his contract).  Maybe keep Meadows because he can potentially be healthy enough to be a comeback player.  They could get rid of everyone else and I wouldn't be upset about it.  There are some worth keeping because of the potential upside, (such as Torkelson, Kreidler, and Carpenter) and I guess some people think Baddoo fits this category too.  I just don't see it and think he's just a one year wonder.  

I think maybe the way everyone has hit this year made me failed to recognize someone's potential.  They way I feel I just want Harris to blow everything up and start over.

30 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I feel I just want Harris to blow everything up and start over.

it is understandable that this is always attractive, and there are some cases where I would agree - for instance a toxic clubhouse where too many players with attitudes have to be removed - a situation like the one that did in Francona in Boston. But my brain tends to tell me the best way to get better is to prune and build carefully, making sure each move is actually an improvement and makeing sure you don't waste any value out of haste.  Sure you can overdue it with that - and I think unwillingness to move on from marginal players was certainly be something you can accuse Al Avila of being guilty about. But in the case of three Tigers who have the most question marks right now - Kriedler, Torkelson and Baddoo, you have three guys who are really short on major league PAs to be making any final decisions - they aren't like the Niko Goodrums of the world still around after well over a 1000 PAs of proven futility.

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Sure, the logical thing to do is hang onto Baddoo for two reasons, he's young and he's cheap.  There's no way you're going to be able to overhaul the entire roster in one off-season, and it makes sense that Baddoo is going to stay since there's a sliver of a chance he can perform adequately enough.  If Harris does his job right, I don't think Baddoo has any shot of a starting job, but maybe he can be a bench player (especially since there are always unforeseen injuries).  

I'm not a fan of Baddoo, but I'm also not a fan of most of the hitters the Tigers currently have.  There are only three hitters worth keeping, Greene, Hasse and Baez (and you only keep Baez because of his contract).  Maybe keep Meadows because he can potentially be healthy enough to be a comeback player.  They could get rid of everyone else and I wouldn't be upset about it.  There are some worth keeping because of the potential upside, (such as Torkelson, Kreidler, and Carpenter) and I guess some people think Baddoo fits this category too.  I just don't see it and think he's just a one year wonder.  

I think maybe the way everyone has hit this year made me failed to recognize someone's potential.  They way I feel I just want Harris to blow everything up and start over.

You cant project much about Baddoo based on his limited stats this year. All we really know is that he has ability, is young and inexperienced for his age and has struggled a bit. If you wrote everyone off after a period of struggle, you'd have no one left.