Tigers Hire Scott Harris as President of Baseball Operations

oblong

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I just saw a quote that he's determined to come back next year in better condition to stand up to a full season. I don't how he plans to accomplish that with his mobility so limited, but I wish him all the luck in the world.

hate to be cynical, but he has stated this in the past.  In addition to his debilitating health issues, he seems to more closely resemble a 40-and over men's softball player.  The extra weight certainly isn't helping.

17 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

hate to be cynical, but he has stated this in the past.  In addition to his debilitating health issues, he seems to more closely resemble a 40-and over men's softball player.  The extra weight certainly isn't helping.

i hope we get another "miggys in the best shape of his career" article from mccoskey next year.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I just saw a quote that he's determined to come back next year in better condition to stand up to a full season. I don't how he plans to accomplish that with his mobility so limited, but I wish him all the luck in the world.

Unless he does something very drastic like go vegan I don't see it happening.  When you get to 40 you have to make substantial changes to do what he is saying.  He already doesn't drink, I presume, so unless he's just pigging out on fast food and junk food it will take something like that.... to lose weight at this point you need diet and exercise. Not just one or the other and I assume he's getting a decent dose of both.  

I suspect during the off season he's a good boy because it's training time.  You can control your day.   Spend a lot of time at the gym.   Once the season starts,  you get the long days and odd hours and time on the road.  He's probably predisposed to just being a big fella.

15 minutes ago, oblong said:

Unless he does something very drastic like go vegan I don't see it happening.  When you get to 40 you have to make substantial changes to do what he is saying.  He already doesn't drink, I presume, so unless he's just pigging out on fast food and junk food it will take something like that.... to lose weight at this point you need diet and exercise. Not just one or the other and I assume he's getting a decent dose of both.  

I suspect during the off season he's a good boy because it's training time.  You can control your day.   Spend a lot of time at the gym.   Once the season starts,  you get the long days and odd hours and time on the road.  He's probably predisposed to just being a big fella.

this foray certainly didn't help

Miguel Cabrera Launches Miggy's BitBits Chocolates Celebration at Hard Rock  Stadium - World Red Eye | World Red Eye

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oblong said:

there aren't a lot of good ways to train and lose weight with a bad knee. Hope he likes to swim.....

Anabolic steroids...you get popped, who cares...you're quitting anyway.  Won't help with the degenerative process on the knee, but it will enhance strength and recovery.

Or maybe do stem cell therapy...or do a Keith Richards and switch out his blood with a 25 year-old's

The point is...there's options

On 9/28/2022 at 5:02 PM, djhutch said:

I don't follow this as closely as I used to, since cutting my cable.  Haven't bought the MLB stream yet, so I stay out of the game threads `cuz I haven't been able to watch much.

That said, I understand this rebuild is still going to take a while - and it seems to me it could do more harm than good to buy out Miggy.  It's one season.  If he wants to come back, let him.  You don't have to start him, even at DH. 

I don't understand how it would do the team more harm to the club to cut Miggy for 2023. I suspect that it might not go over well with the Latin players, and that would be my only reason for keeping him around. It is time to move past the Miggy era right now. If he is going to stick around, make him the 2nd assistant hitting coach or something, but I don't want him on the active roster.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, djhutch said:

Swimming is great - but just walking can do it. The key is as much about intake as outgo.

If he can walk on the knee without making it worse. 

Not that we have any right to the information - but the diagnosis on Miggy's knee has remained sort of mysterious at the public level - all we know is it hurts and it can't be fixed. But since we have no idea what is good/bad for it, who knows what we should be expecting Cabrera to be doing or not doing to help give himself a better chance to play productively again?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

I don't understand how it would do the team more harm to the club to cut Miggy for 2023. I suspect that it might not go over well with the Latin players, and that would be my only reason for keeping him around. It is time to move past the Miggy era right now. If he is going to stick around, make him the 2nd assistant hitting coach or something, but I don't want him on the active roster.

I think it's less about how teammates would perceive a move like this.  I think they want him to leave on his terms as a reward for all of his contributions and milestones.  They likely don't want to risk any negativity/bad blood--they've come this far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

I think it's less about how teammates would perceive a move like this.  I think they want him to leave on his terms as a reward for all of his contributions and milestones.  They likely don't want to risk any negativity/bad blood--they've come this far.

Really the only person that should matter here is Scott Harris... he is the new PBO, and if he has been hired to turn this thing around, he needs to have the latitude to make whatever moves are necessary to do accomplish that goal.

The nostalgia stuff is a factor in practice, but it's not hard to imagine that being an obstacle to turning it around and putting the best product on the field. We all know that deep down.

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Really the only person that should matter here is Scott Harris... he is the new PBO, and if he has been hired to turn this thing around, he needs to have the latitude to make whatever moves are necessary to do accomplish that goal.

The nostalgia stuff is a factor in practice, but it's not hard to imagine that being an obstacle to turning it around and putting the best product on the field. We all know that deep down.

I would expect that the Tigers will allow Miggy to play out his contract.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

me too.  if he wants to be on the team, he'll be on the team.

I don't see it. Guys at the end who are not productive get released. It happens. Maybe the difference with Cabrera is that since the situation with the knee is so ill-defined, he will come to camp and it will be a month or two before he proves he can't play (barring some miracle where he can). Then he'll either agree to go to the 60 or he'll be released. Teams are not in business to massage the egos of over the hill stars - and his teammates may love him but they will want to win more.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't see it. Guys at the end who are not productive get released. It happens. Maybe the difference with Cabrera is that since the situation with the knee is so ill-defined, he will come to camp and it will be a month or two before he proves he can't play (barring some miracle where he can). Then he'll either agree to go to the 60 or he'll be released. Teams are not in business to massage the egos of over the hill stars - and his teammates may love him but they will want to win more.

its possible that cabrera decides to take a buyout and hang em up for $40 million to do nothing.  it seems like he likes to be part of the team and to keep playing in a reduced capacity.  as someone noted earlier, i think he wants to exit tour and the attention that comes from that.

we'll see how ruthless they want to be.

6 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

5 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Just last year the Angels released Albert Pujols.  Miggy is no more special than him.  I would hope that Harris will have the authority to release Miggy if that's what he believes will improve the team.  

It would seem this may be mostly a Chris I. decision. I would think there would be some sit downs with others (Scott H., A.J., etc.) of course.

Yes, it seems Miggy does enjoy the comradery of the game.  MLB would do best to increase rosters to 27 or 28, but that is not what this is about. It will be an interesting play out - but one would ask to look at Miggy's stats SINCE the ASG. How long would Miggy himself put up with that type of production, potential embarrassment, scoreboard sight, etc.? There might have to be some 'Farewell Tour' thought out - and that is not to mention the potential IL stints.

Perhaps a combo assistant hitting coach / roster spot type of scenario 'could' be thought of. Scott Harris 'likes' a lot of coaching and specialization from what we have heard. It will be interesting - but the main job is to improve the team from all decision makers that are involved.

7 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

I suspect that he will as well, but as far as I'm concerned, that should be up to the PBO.... and no doubt when Chris I interviewed Harris (and other candidates), this conversation came up.

Edited by mtutiger