Tigers Hire Scott Harris as President of Baseball Operations

oblong

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And kids are stranded at the airport because a crooked travel agent ripped off their Spring Break Money

And guys had to be rescued from an ice shelf that broke away in Lake Huron on a 53 degree day..............

Oh, April in the D !

Edited by Motor City Sonics

For me, it all comes down to that roster spot.... dedicating one roster spot to a full time DH who has largely been in decline at the one job he has over the past few months is a headache for anyone tasked with building a roster for 2023, there's really no other way to slice it.

Who knows, maybe Miggy will see a renaissance next year in his final season, but somehow I doubt it. And his presence takes away one additional spot that could be filled externally or internally. It is what it is, but it sucks regardless.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

For me, it all comes down to that roster spot.... dedicating one roster spot to a full time DH who has largely been in decline at the one job he has over the past few months is a headache for anyone tasked with building a roster for 2023, there's really no other way to slice it.

Who knows, maybe Miggy will see a renaissance next year in his final season, but somehow I doubt it. And his presence takes away one additional spot that could be filled externally or internally. It is what it is, but it sucks regardless.

I think they need to sign 2 everyday outfielders.    I am not banking on Kerry Carpenter.  I mean, I hope he is the real deal, but I just have a Andy Dirks/Brennan Boesch  flash in the pan vibe.  Hope I'm wrong.   And I would not count on seeing Austin Meadows next year.  Maybe he's fine by ST, and that would be awesome, but I think they need to prepare for the worst.  Better to have too many players than too few.    Miggy is the fly in the ointment there because maybe everyone comes back healthy and looks good after we sign a couple guys........gonna need to use guys at DH and Miggy blocks that.  

23 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

How much further will General Harris’ March to the Sea take us? Through Minnesota? Will we burn Seattle to the ground? 

Worth noting the Giants are rolling too. With a couple more wins and continued MIL/PHI tailspin their playoff chances could start to be noninfinitesimal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t think the roster spot is that big a deal—we have enough position versatility to offset.  The real issue is needing to give him actual AB’s, which is a problem.

The roster spot and the ABs go hand-in-hand... every AB he gets in 2023 is one that another option, internal or external, will not get.

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

He may have nothing left to offer on the field, but Miggy is a revenue generator based on his name, and it is not time for the Tigers to move on from that.

Not necessarily disagreeing but I genuinely wonder how much he is at this point. Yeah he definitely was chasing the milestones but at this point how many people buy tickets just to see him or tune in just to watch him? Legit question cause I have no idea. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not necessarily disagreeing but I genuinely wonder how much he is at this point. Yeah he definitely was chasing the milestones but at this point how many people buy tickets just to see him or tune in just to watch him? Legit question cause I have no idea. 

If Chris Ilitch thinks Miggy is a revenue generator, or at least important to the attendance numbers, that’s all it takes.

26 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not necessarily disagreeing but I genuinely wonder how much he is at this point.

yeah - I doubt many folks are going to watch a guy hit 140 with no power. I'm sure there are a few, but I'm also sure there would be as many more likely to be interested if they were a better team.

Edited by gehringer_2

51 minutes ago, chasfh said:

He may have nothing left to offer on the field, but Miggy is a revenue generator based on his name, and it is not time for the Tigers to move on from that.

As it is now, I leave the room when Miggy comes up to bat.

I have no desire to watch him strike out over and over and over again.

Kind of hard to generate any revenue off of that.

all you guys are hardcore baseball fans (some might say....baseball nerds).  most casual fans know who cabrera is but probably dont know he sucks now and would pay attention to him - as much as they would ever pay attention to baseball.

in other words, you all are outliers.

i imagine the tigers want the marketing opportunities for miggy's "last dance".  try to make back some of that $40 million they have to pay him next year.

• Like 1