Biden's presidency

ewsieg

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Texas is consistently one of the lowest voter turnout states. I don't know anyone here who cheerleads for disasters to hit Texas, but when the government starts taking away rights like abortion passing unpopular gun laws, and failing to address their unstable power grid, the people of Texas deserve it. 

So, hypothetically, a person who was born and raised in this state, who votes in every election against the party in power here, who may not have the means or desire to leave family behind on account of politics, deserves all of this?

You know, the left wing of the D Party takes a lot of flak, but this sort of attitude is equally as bad politically. With respect to Texas, it now has 40 Electoral College votes. It's trended toward the Ds since 2012, finishing within single digits for the first time since Slick Willie's relection.

I'm no political expert, but telling the 5+ million who didn't vote for Trump to go fuck themselves seems like a bold strategy... one that I hope actual D strategists are not pursuing.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

So, hypothetically, a person who was born and raised in this state, who votes in every election against the party in power here, who may not have the means or desire to leave family behind on account of politics, deserves all of this?

You know, the left wing of the D Party takes a lot of flak, but this sort of attitude is equally as bad politically. With respect to Texas, it now has 40 Electoral College votes. It's trended toward the Ds since 2012, finishing within single digits for the first time since Slick Willie's relection.

I'm no political expert, but telling the 5+ million who didn't vote for Trump to go fuck themselves seems like a bold strategy... one that I hope actual D strategists are not pursuing.

do you think texas will continue to "trend" democrat?  i think the democrats are about to find out that the hispanic population of texas is moving to the republicans.  i dont know if that offsets the huge migration to texas from the north, but i suspect it will.

as for me, your state is BATSHIT CRAZY right now when it comes to jury verdicts.  you guys are handing out hundreds of millions of dollars like its candy.   complete craziness.

I'm telling the 5 million registered voters in Texas who didn't vote to go fuck themselves but I think Greg Abbot is doing a fine job of that. I'll go out on a limb and say more of those non-voters are Democrats.  If Texas had 80% turnout like Minnesota, Texas is probably a blue state. 

Just now, buddha said:

do you think texas will continue to "trend" democrat?  i think the democrats are about to find out that the hispanic population of texas is moving to the republicans.  i dont know if that offsets the huge migration to texas from the north, but i suspect it will.

as for me, your state is BATSHIT CRAZY right now when it comes to jury verdicts.  you guys are handing out hundreds of millions of dollars like its candy.   complete craziness.

Yeah, it's still gonna trend toward the Ds. The Hispanic shift in The Valley is real, but there aren't a lot of people there. And it's more muted in the Metros.

It'll slow it down, but it won't stop it

• Like 1

Yeah, it's still gonna trend toward the Ds. The Hispanic shift in The Valley is real, but there aren't a lot of people there. And it's more muted in the Metros.

i think it will continue to be a reliable republican state for a while yet.

but these things can change pretty quickly.  hard to tell what will happen to republicans once trump dies or just how many northern and california folks can fit into harris and dallas counties and austin.

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Just to expand, It's also important to put the Hispanic numbers into the broader context of urban/rural and in terms of education. One could reasonably expect, as David Shor has suggested, that to the extent there is a trend right among Hispanic voters, it may not be uniform depending on these characteristics.

A lot of The Valley is much more rural and cut off from Texas, and non-college tends to be higher down there versus Hispanics in the Metro areas. It's also a lot smaller (I'd have to run the numbers, but population wise, it's akin to The UP's impact on Michigan's population). But there are a lot of Hispanics in the metro areas and while they did have a swing toward Trump in 2020, it was more like 5-10 points. Not 25-30.

If the swing were universal everywhere, it'd be enough offset all the population growth elsewhere. But as it is, assuming nothing changes (it probably will), it'll slow it down but not totally reverse it.

55 minutes ago, buddha said:

i agree with you about the electoral college and i think it should be discarded.  not because it will enshrine a temporary democratic party majority as some here seem excited about, but because i dont see what purpose it really serves anymore.

as for the comments on the south, i think there are just as many stupid people in the north and in big cities who vote democrat as there are rural white people in the south who vote republican.

if you want to see a banana republic one party state full of fraud, dirty tricks, and corruption, led by people who arent very bright but think theyre better than you, look no further than the great city of chicago and the thousands of lemmings who line up and vote for the democrats every year and get nothing for it. 

i know, because i am one of them.

yeah - that's an aspect of the way the system has broken down. Much of the rural GOP leadership is racist and facist, much of the urban DEM leadership is corrupt or just nutz, but the system is so broken that 'reform' is not a winning platform for either party to the attack the other's weaknesses. When it's all tribal/cultural, nobody cares about quality of government on either side. That wasn't supposed to be how it worked.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - that's an aspect of the way the system has broken down. Much of the rural GOP leadership is racist and facist, much of the urban DEM leadership is corrupt or just nutz, but the system is so broken that 'reform' is not a winning platform for either party to the attack the other's weaknesses. When it's all tribal/cultural, nobody cares about quality of government on either side. That wasn't supposed to be how it worked.

Saw a reference to the new maps bringing up a similar thing. It’s strengthening red and blue areas at the expense of purple.  The need to appeal to the center is diminishing. That just entrenches the sides. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

because all politics are national now thanks to the internet and social media.  some house member in georgia or brooklyn affects how everyone sees the other party.

i think that's one aspect to it.

52 minutes ago, buddha said:

because all politics are national now thanks to the internet and social media.  some house member in georgia or brooklyn affects how everyone sees the other party.

i think that's one aspect to it.

It really ties into the conversation about earmarks earlier. Politics has always been a nasty business, but in the grand scheme of things, people generally sent people to Congress to bring money back into their districts. 

Nowadays, everything is about culture war issues. Trying to run and govern on solving problems and bring money home to the district doesn't raise people's dopamine enough apparently.

Edited by mtutiger

Biden is out today promoting the end of the filibuster so they can ram through the democrat wish list that will harm this country even more than they already have.  

I think they're pretty stupid because if Republicans are ever able to get power the dems are going to pay big for their own stupidity.  

Also the persistence of the filibuster when the Democrats are in the minority is not determined by the existence of the filibuster when the Democrats are in the majority.  Cleary, as he's done before, Cocaine Mitch will just end the filibuster when he needs to.   But the fact is... he doesn't need to.   

Edited by pfife

39 minutes ago, pfife said:

Also the persistence of the filibuster when the Democrats are in the minority is not determined by the existence of the filibuster when the Democrats are in the majority.  Cleary, as he's done before, Cocaine Mitch will just end the filibuster when he needs to.   But the fact is... he doesn't need to.   

Nah. Mitch believes in tradition. Like presidents serve 4 year terms and get to have their Supreme Court nominees have their day before the senate regardless of where we are in the election cycle. 

he also believes in the long established tradition that presidents in an election year can’t have their nominees for the Supreme Court go before the senate since it’s an election year. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Big Bernie 2016 energy here.

"If I cannot have everything I want now, I am going to hurt politically the only people who can give me what I want later."

100% stupid.

Biden went BBB first; voting rights second. You can argue that he should have flipped that, but Sinema and Machin are still in the Seante either way.

Edited by RatkoVarda

I have a question for our conservative and Republican friends here. According to the Bank of England, the UK's central bank, inflation hit 5.1% in the month of December and is expected to rise to up to 6% by the spring. Do you blame Prime Minister Boris Johnson for that inflation just as you try to blame President Joe Biden here in the United States? What specific policies do you believe Boris Johnson implemented to cause that 5.1% inflation in the UK? 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I have a question for our conservative and Republican friends here. According to the Bank of England, the UK's central bank, inflation hit 5.1% in the month of December and is expected to rise to up to 6% by the spring. Do you blame Prime Minister Boris Johnson for that inflation just as you try to blame President Joe Biden here in the United States? What specific policies do you believe Boris Johnson implemented to cause that 5.1% inflation in the UK? 

Boris Johnson has been in office for a few years now. Has he changed any policy that would cause inflation?  I don't know the answer but inflation in his country is probably due to similar reason it is in the US. 

I think inflation in the US started to increase soon after Biden took office.  Is it 100% his fault?  I wouldn't say it is but some of his policies contributed to it.  Covid and supply chain issues are a big part of the problem.  Biden takes a hit on this because he said he would get covid under control and that the supply chain issues would be fixed.  That's never happened and covid is way worse than its ever and the supply chain issues are also as bad as ever.  Biden would have been better saying nothing than trying to take credit for something that he thought would or might happen.  His "talk" with the longshoreman didn't do anything.  Great Britain is also seeing record Covid numbers so that's probably a big contributor to the problem.