2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

59 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But as Rob brought up, there is a mentality involved and for the road players it's no big deal, for the home guys it's day after day of playing in a canyon.   They need to fix it.   And if it ends up tipping toward the home run side of the ledger, it probably won't be by much.    It's just ridiculous.      I think it plays like an average part because the corners are normal.   I don't think they need to mess with CF too much, but those power alleys are nuts.  

And my point is, given the history of how park factors can change all on their own based just on environmental factors, if they just wait a year or two, it may just fix itself.

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The only thing along these lines I can really blame A.J. for is not moving Soto out of the closer spot when Lange was a better choice early, and when Joe Jimenez was a far better choice than both later. I mentioned yesterday that it may not have mattered once it became clear that we were gonna lose almost 100 games anyway, so why break things and ruffle feathers for no reason, but installing Joe as closer at any point after the All Star break would have been as close to an inarguable no-brainer move as any he could have made.

as an AJ fan, I cannot defend this. 100% baffling why he stuck with Soto.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

A couple of notes:

I don't know where to get a list of rule 5 eligible players, but those guys probably have to factor in as well.  At least the keepable ones.

Bookmark my sheet. I keep that updated. Offseason Eligibles tab.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jRnDAcv86yGYl1Tq6fdXD1VoGr2Ls5PiRBNEFBXHL3Y/edit?usp=drivesdk

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Great info thank you. The arbitration list is the bullseye for Harris trimming players off the 40 either via trade or DFA. I think Jimenez and Meadows and maybe Tony Garcia will be the only holdovers. 

Minor league system is still not good

Yes, they have really figured something out with pitching development; lots of success stories from Jobe to Chance Kirby; need to work on health.

But system is embarrassingly bad at OF; really weak at C and 1B. IF looks solid though.

Toledo – Dingler, Meadows only relevant position players; interesting guys in WPerez, Lipcius

Erie – Keith, Jung only position players who matter; Couch interesting

Right now, who besides Keith can reasonably project as a solid ML starter? yikes!

41 minutes ago, oblong said:

"Getting hot at the right time"

Tomorrow is my birthday and I get 4 games to watch.

Mazel tov!

My birthday is July 11 which means that in a lot of years there are no games—although next year there will definitely be a game, just not one that means anything.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

Rumor is Shep walked home from Seattle out of frustration.

He has his shortcomings as a play-by-play guy, but damnit, he had the pulse of the fans with his diatribe.  While I think his stated goal of the playoffs next season is a bit aggressive, he is spot on that it's time for this franchise to put a competitive product out on the field in 2023.  Its time to get away from being the bottom feeder that its been for the past 7 seasons.  7 bleeping seasons of bottom (5) of the barrel, and this farm system isn't bursting with talent ready to make its move to the majors?  Absolutely disgusting and indefensible.

HEAR! HEAR! Gentlemen, I give you the right honorable gentleman Casimir!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

And my point is, given the history of how park factors can change all on their own based just on environmental factors, if they just wait a year or two, it may just fix itself.

I do think that if the Tigers preach 'gap hitting' to the team because of the park - the error is theirs and not the ball park. You want to hit the gaps at a park like Kaufmann where the mid-line distances are long. But there are NOT at CoPa. The HR distances mid-field to the lines at CoPa are completely average, you don't want to give up pulling the ball at CoPa for the benefit of a few XBH into the CF gaps because hitting to CF *is* death for flyballs. Now I would think with all the supposed stat nerds on the staff they would understand that, but I still hear them talking about the need for 'gap' hitters and I really don't think it makes any sense when 360 in the air is HR anywhere near either line. It's a pull hitter's ballpark all the way.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Minor league system is still not good

Yes, they have really figured something out with pitching development; lots of success stories from Jobe to Chance Kirby; need to work on health.

But system is embarrassingly bad at OF; really weak at C and 1B. IF looks solid though.

Toledo – Dingler, Meadows only relevant position players; interesting guys in WPerez, Lipcius

Erie – Keith, Jung only position players who matter; Couch interesting

Right now, who besides Keith can reasonably project as a solid ML starter? yikes!

I mean its BAU for you. But,, if you can't count the first round draft pick from two months ago as a solid ML starter....

It will be interesting to see what Harris really means by "calculated risk". It is time for some bold moves, especially on the 40 man.

I have grown tired with the 20 plus years of pissing and moaning about the dimensions of the park. Put in a new wall that makes the longest distance at 405 feet. Pull in RF by 15 feet. Get it done. This fixation on the park's size has hurt the organization's planning for far too long.

As for the roster, do whatever you can to make it better. With position players, the keepers are Haase, Baez, Greene, Carpenter, and Tork (in Toledo only). Throw in one of the Castro's for the super sub. We have to keep Schoop, but a replacement for Candy must be found. If not, replace Schoop and eat a contract. I do not care in the slightest what happens to the rest of the position players, including Miggy. I know some will have to be kept. I am far more interested in those Harris will not keep.

As for the pitching, well for me, that is for another post

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think A.J. has gotten way too much criticism for trying to make the best of the garbage he'd been given to work with,

I'll grant I tend to be in this camp. As I think about it, part it may be that AJ talks ups his bad players a lot, and maybe that is pure psychological tactic and doesn't reflect his true evaluation of those players.  If that is true, and I can only hope it is - it certainly may be, then I think it validates this view.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'll grant I tend to be in this camp. As I think about it, part it may be that AJ talks ups his bad players a lot, and maybe that is pure psychological tactic and doesn't reflect his true evaluation of those players.  If that is true, and I can only hope it is - it certainly may be, then I think it validates this view.

Yes, you do. 😉

That's OK, a lot of people here and elsewhere also fall into that camp. Some people even wanted A.J. fired because of the season. That wasn't you, I know, but you know people who would like him gone, as well.

I agree with you that A.J. talking up his players is more or less a necessity he must engage in while he is in the moment. After all, he's a Stanford psychology grad, so no way he doesn't know it's bad psychology (and bad business) to run down your associates in public, especially if you need continued performance from them.

I just see A.J. as someone who is making the best of the temporary bad hand he's been dealt, understanding that another deal of completely different cards is likely coming very soon.

So, based on some of the comments above: I would construct our off-season 40-man under the following Title: Pre-Trade/FA 40, with the following parameters: Rule 5 guys that you want protected, list the full 40 because any subsequent moves (dropped in favor of a FA, dropped in favor of a pending Rule 5 selection, or any trades)… are an unknown at this point. The following 40 is simply my guess at our starting point before any other offseason moves are made (if you want to propose trading Soto or any similar move, have at it… this is just my “starting point”):

Pitchers:

Tyler Alexander (29L 1.30), Beau Brieske (25R 1.06), Luis Castillo (27R 1.30), Andrew Chafin (33L 1.22), Angel De Jesus (26R 1.13), Alex Faedo (27R 1.11), Jason Foley (27R 1.34), Rony García (25R 1.16), Sawyer Gipson-Long (4.7 - 25R AA 1.26), Garrett Hill (27R 1.20), Joe Jiménez (28R 1.34), Matt Manning, Casey Mize, Eduardo Rodriguez, Elvin Rodriguez (25R 1.23), Tarik Skubal, Gregory Soto (28L 1.35), Spencer Turnbull, Will Vest (27R 1.30), Joey Wentz, Brendan White (3.8 - 24R AA 1.20)

Bubble/ Gone:

José Cisnero (34R 1.34), Miguel Diaz (28R 1.33), Kyle Funkhouser (29R 1.43), Bryan Garcia (28R 1.20), Drew Hutchison (32R 1.42), Alex Lange (27R 1.33), Daniel Norris (30L 1.38)

Going out on a limb here: and protecting Gipson-Long and Brendan White. Just a hunch (that and their high K-BB ratios if we’re doing analytics).

IMO – all of these guys that we’ve “lost” here… can be invited back on Spring Training invites. I think all of them will be back as such, along with whatever other competition Harris can find/ sign as a FA/ or trade for. The last two of which obviously would engender even more 40 man transactions.

Position Players:

Akil Baddoo, Javier Báez, Daz Cameron, Jeimer Candelario, Kerry Carpenter, Harold Castro, Brendon Davis, Riley Greene, Eric Haase, Ryan Kreidler, Andre Lipcius, Austin Meadows, Parker Meadows, Wenceel Perez, Victor Reyes, Jake Rogers, Ali Sánchez, Jonathan Schoop, Spencer Torkelson

Leaving/ retired:

Tucker Barnhart, Miguel Cabrera, Willi Castro, Kody Clemens, Luis García, Josh Lester, Zack Short

Sorry… My agenda is to “retire” Miggy. Feel free to add him back in in your versions of our 40 and drop whatever borderline pitcher/ Rule 5/ bench guy that you want to. My last struggle was between Willi, Adinso Reyes, and Daz… I don’t really consider Willi an OF’er, really he’s a guy with no glove/ position so… I’m giving Daz just one more chance (and taking a chance in losing Adinso). I don’t feel good about it. But that’s the way it goes until we sign someone better and Daz loses his 40 spot… TBC…

7 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

from MLBTR chat:

Houzer
2:33
Who says no ... Tigers trade Gregory Soto to the Rangers for prospect Justin Foscue

Steve Adams
2:33
Foscue alone isn't getting Soto

2:34
Foscue as one of several prospects? Sure -- though probably not with him as the headliner.

Pipeline says Foscue is an offensive-minded second baseman a la Jeff Kent. Pipeline also says he's a fringy defender at second, although Fangraphs is less generous when they say he "is not a good defender, at best a 30-grade second baseman with a 30 arm." A 30 arm means he can't man the left side of the infield, either, which suggests to me he might go the Willi route to the outfield sooner than we'd like, where he could share playing time with the other limp-noodled guys we have out there. At some point soon he may not be able to defend anywhere, meaning it'll be DH or buh-bye.

I can see why TR believes Foscue wouldn't headline a trade for Soto.

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

So, based on some of the comments above: I would construct our off-season 40-man under the following Title: Pre-Trade/FA 40, with the following parameters: Rule 5 guys that you want protected, list the full 40 because any subsequent moves (dropped in favor of a FA, dropped in favor of a pending Rule 5 selection, or any trades)… are an unknown at this point. The following 40 is simply my guess at our starting point before any other offseason moves are made (if you want to propose trading Soto or any similar move, have at it… this is just my “starting point”):

Pitchers:

Tyler Alexander (29L 1.30), Beau Brieske (25R 1.06), Luis Castillo (27R 1.30), Andrew Chafin (33L 1.22), Angel De Jesus (26R 1.13), Alex Faedo (27R 1.11), Jason Foley (27R 1.34), Rony García (25R 1.16), Sawyer Gipson-Long (4.7 - 25R AA 1.26), Garrett Hill (27R 1.20), Joe Jiménez (28R 1.34), Matt Manning, Casey Mize, Eduardo Rodriguez, Elvin Rodriguez (25R 1.23), Tarik Skubal, Gregory Soto (28L 1.35), Spencer Turnbull, Will Vest (27R 1.30), Joey Wentz, Brendan White (3.8 - 24R AA 1.20)

Bubble/ Gone:

José Cisnero (34R 1.34), Miguel Diaz (28R 1.33), Kyle Funkhouser (29R 1.43), Bryan Garcia (28R 1.20), Drew Hutchison (32R 1.42), Alex Lange (27R 1.33), Daniel Norris (30L 1.38)

Going out on a limb here: and protecting Gipson-Long and Brendan White. Just a hunch (that and their high K-BB ratios if we’re doing analytics).

IMO – all of these guys that we’ve “lost” here… can be invited back on Spring Training invites. I think all of them will be back as such, along with whatever other competition Harris can find/ sign as a FA/ or trade for. The last two of which obviously would engender even more 40 man transactions.

Position Players:

Akil Baddoo, Javier Báez, Daz Cameron, Jeimer Candelario, Kerry Carpenter, Harold Castro, Brendon Davis, Riley Greene, Eric Haase, Ryan Kreidler, Andre Lipcius, Austin Meadows, Parker Meadows, Wenceel Perez, Victor Reyes, Jake Rogers, Ali Sánchez, Jonathan Schoop, Spencer Torkelson

Leaving/ retired:

Tucker Barnhart, Miguel Cabrera, Willi Castro, Kody Clemens, Luis García, Josh Lester, Zack Short

Sorry… My agenda is to “retire” Miggy. Feel free to add him back in in your versions of our 40 and drop whatever borderline pitcher/ Rule 5/ bench guy that you want to. My last struggle was between Willi, Adinso Reyes, and Daz… I don’t really consider Willi an OF’er, really he’s a guy with no glove/ position so… I’m giving Daz just one more chance (and taking a chance in losing Adinso). I don’t feel good about it. But that’s the way it goes until we sign someone better and Daz loses his 40 spot… TBC…

The biggest of my early disillusionment with this season was Tucker Barnhart.  I'm sure he calls a wonderful game of MLB the Show but I never saw him do so for our pitchers.

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Bubble/ Gone:

Except for Lange, whole post might  be correct.

Lange is to me penciled in as 2023 closer. Unless they trade him, he will be one of the most important BP pieces, if not the most important

• Thanks 1