2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's been so long since we've been to the playoffs and in turn me really paying attention to the WC/1st round but did they always have playoff games on during a weekday at Noon like they do right now with Cleveland and TB? 

Yeah a lot of ours were

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Maybe playing Tork at 3B is one of the calculated risks Harris was referring to ? It’s certainly easier finding a first than third baseman. But doesn’t that only add to Torks hitting woes ?

he doesn't need to hit for as much OPS to be valuable at 3b compared to 1b, but obviously we still hope he turns into the hitter we thought we drafted.

I don't really want Tork at third, especially if he is showing promise as a first baseman.  The last thing we need is him worrying about his defense at third base next year.  

I have been on the side of letting Candelario go.  But with a new hitting coach, I could probably get on board with giving him a shot to see if he can find his 2021 form.  We have to have a decent backup plan though if he comes out next April and looks like the same player he was this year.  Basically, we are going to have to take some chances this offseason and he is one of the few guys we can take a chance with that's actually had a pretty successful full season in the majors.  

Haase seems like a guy you keep around for where you need him most.  Could end up that is cacher.  Could end up that is the outfield.  Could be he is just a platoon at DH.  Could be a backup plan for Torkelson at first base.  Probably best not to pigeonhole him into one role this offseason and just let the chips fall where they may.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JackPine said:

How do they fit Haase's bat into the lineup without letting him catch? If he's the non-primary catcher he could catch 1.5 games a week and dh 3 games a week (assuming Miggy is no longer the primary dh). Maybe play OF occasionally, does anyone trust him out there either?

Well, I did say 'if':

"We need to find another role for Haase if we want to keep his bat...."

The if/why would be if we still suck. 

My point is Haase isn't a championship calibre catcher, or even a middle of the road calibre catcher...because he doesn't have the ability to catch extraordinary stuff,  and it is unacceptable to have pitchers have to alter their pitch selection in order to compensate for his shortcomings...and that is what is happening.

It is uncommonly bad/well illustrated when it comes to Lange...who has exceptional raw talent.  Put a man on 3rd with Haase behind the plate and his BA against/ERA goes to the moon.

Here are Lange's stats with Barnhardt and Haase catching...I will let the community guess which stat line is with Barnhardt and which with Haase.  Lange had an all-timey great season with one guy...and a one way ticket to the minors type season with the other guy.

30.1 ip  0.00 era .104/.146/.350

31.2 ip  6.82 era .285/.446/.829

Unacceptable...not just in the catching performance, but moreso in the lack of fundamental understanding of baseball and analytics.  Haase friggin caught Lange 36 times.   There are so many of these types of obvious errors of ignorance (whether intentional or not) in our baseball decision/management hierachy....but let's have the axe fall on Santiago and the last standing back-up to the back-up coach that wasn't hired by the current regime.

At least the new balanced schedule should fix the 'who could have known that having 19 of 20 starters in our division being  righties was going to make Baez not worth his contract in a new league' problem.  HuZZah for fortunate accidents!

...not that I feel strongly about it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StatikIEV said:

Well, I did say 'if':

"We need to find another role for Haase if we want to keep his bat...."

The if/why would be if we still suck. 

My point is Haase isn't a championship calibre catcher, or even a middle of the road calibre catcher...because he doesn't have the ability to catch extraordinary stuff,  and it is unacceptable to have pitchers have to alter their pitch selection in order to compensate for his shortcomings...and that is what is happening.

It is uncommonly bad/well illustrated when it comes to Lange...who has exceptional raw talent.  Put a man on 3rd with Haase behind the plate and his BA against/ERA goes to the moon.

Here are Lange's stats with Barnhardt and Haase catching...I will let the community guess which stat line is with Barnhardt and which with Haase.  Lange had an all-timey great season with one guy...and a one way ticket to the minors type season with the other guy.

30.1 ip  0.00 era .104/.146/.350

31.2 ip  6.82 era .285/.446/.829

Unacceptable...not just in the catching performance, but moreso in the lack of fundamental understanding of baseball and analytics.  Haase friggin caught Lange 36 times.   There are so many of these types of obvious errors of ignorance (whether intentional or not) in our baseball decision/management hierachy....but let's have the axe fall on Santiago and the last standing back-up to the back-up coach that wasn't hired by the current regime.

At least the new balanced schedule should fix the 'who could have known that having 19 of 20 starters in our division being  righties was going to make Baez not worth his contract in a new league' problem.  HuZZah for fortunate accidents!

...not that I feel strongly about it 

May I ask where do you find this information ? And do you think Scot Harris is aware of this ?

Haase is another great example of why it isn't ideal to have to carry Miguel for another year because it would be relatively easy to utilize him as a backup catcher and utilize him as a DH on most days he's not behind the plate.

But it is what it is... and I'd be surprised if they didn't bring him back next year.

10 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

May I ask where do you find this information ? And do you think Scot Harris is aware of this ?

Not sure how to link off my phone, but if you break out seasonal pitching splits you can then sub filter by positional selection (sudenoye:  there is an adjustment one should make as there is interference in the numbers via IR, but in this case, doing/allowing for that fractional adjustment is jejeune).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=langeal01&year=2022&t=p#catch

The Tigers' analytics department should have this information and much more.  

Edit:

Split G IP ER ERA PA AB R H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/W BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
Tucker Barnhart 33 30.1 0 0.00 108 96 4 10 2 1 0 4 0 10 36 3.60 .104 .204 .146 .350 14 4 2 0 0 0 1 .167 12 2
Dustin Garneau 2 1.1 2 13.50 7 5 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1.00 .200 .429 .200 .629 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 .250 101 109
Eric Haase 36 31.2 24 6.82 156 130 31 37 4 1 5 2 1 20 45 2.25 .285 .383 .446 .829 58 0 2 2 2 1 3 .390 164 132
Edited by bobrob2004
  • Thanks 2