2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

And I don't think that they will release him, and he won't accept any of the "creative solutions" dreamed about by some, and therefore he's on the opening day roster.

You say creative solutions.  I think the actual baseball term is horseshit ideas.

I think the conventional thought is that he returns for a final season.  But we don’t know about Scott Harris, so there’s that.  And like I said before, he may not have the final say on Cabrera regardless of what he would like to do anyway.

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

I think we should trade him while he has value. 

There’s that option, too.  You wonder what other teams think of him.  You wonder what other teams think of the Tiger pitching in general.  Is it some combo of coaching and smoke & mirrors?  What about the injuries?

9 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Evan Longoria for 3B?  Maybe Harris can influence him?  Maybe Chris will pay?  I expect that the corpse of Evan Longoria is better than Candelario

The corpse of Evan Longoria is 37 years old.

This is your idea of building a Tigers' playoff team for the future?

No. He is not better than taking a chance on a Candy recovery year. Not at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

The corpse of Evan Longoria is 37 years old.

This is your idea of building a Tigers' playoff team for the future?

No. He is not better than taking a chance on a Candy recovery year. Not at all.

It's an idea to be a better team next year, at least.  Longoria produced more value in half a season than Candelario did in most of a season.  I guess you have confidence in Jeimer rebounding, and I really don't, and that is the difference

Edited by theroundsquare
i can't type

a one-year bridge to Keith can be anyone, including Candy (yuck). Longoria is a fine choice too, but I think the Giants want him back in a part time role, so that would be $4M or so. Not sure what the draw would be for him to come to Det for 1 year. Not a lot of good options. Joey Wendle is my choice. Maybe Harris could pry Gorman from the Cardinals?

16 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

As awful as Candy was, I’m okay giving him one more year as a stopgap. I don’t see this team being playoff ready until at least 2024 anyway. 

The problem, at least I have, with Candy is that he's shown about one very good half year and that's it. Now we're paying him an estimated $7 million. It's unlikely he's gonna meet that half year, so is the money better spent elsewhere and letting someone else see if they can breakout. 

It's unlikely we'll be in the playoffs next year so might as well let a FA/young guy get those ABs instead of Candy and then jsut let him leave the next year. Take the money and spend it elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Bullpen.

who?  maybe Lange and Jiminez, though I suspect the latter was shopped at the deadline.  And we're not getting a potential lineup piece (I don't think) for either guy.  I hate to be all Debbie Downer, but this is similar to what Dombrowski inherited and he made his famous, "you try and trade them" remark.  The only guys that I think we have on our 40-man roster with good trade value are maybe Greene and Tork, and their value is lower than it should be, not to mention those are the types of players we would want to acquire in any deal.

I really think the rest of the roster is going to get you a Travis Demeritte type of return.  We're not going to be trading our way out of this problem--free agency is the only viable route to make any improvements in 2023.  

5 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

a one-year bridge to Keith can be anyone, including Candy (yuck). Longoria is a fine choice too, but I think the Giants want him back in a part time role, so that would be $4M or so. Not sure what the draw would be for him to come to Det for 1 year. Not a lot of good options. Joey Wendle is my choice. Maybe Harris could pry Gorman from the Cardinals?

I don't think we should consider bridging to anybody anymore. We should look for the best third baseman possible  and "if" Keith makes it figure out step two. No more assuming a minor leaguer will fill a future MLB position. When they actually make the team/MLB then fit them in via position change or trading them or someone to make them fit. 

Develop players the best we can but make them actually "beat out" an incumbent the the MLB level.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Brandon Drury?

9 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I don't think we should consider bridging to anybody anymore. We should look for the best third baseman possible  and "if" Keith makes it figure out step two. No more assuming a minor leaguer will fill a future MLB position. When they actually make the team/MLB then fit them in via position change or trading them or someone to make them fit. 

Develop players the best we can but make them actually "beat out" an incumbent the the MLB level.

Yes and Yes. Keep each player on his best development path - don't take guys off their best position in the minors because you *think* you have a hole to file in two years, only assume any minor leaguer is automatically going to be able to fill an opening if his name is Mike Trout or Wander Franco. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

who?  maybe Lange and Jiminez, though I suspect the latter was shopped at the deadline.  And we're not getting a potential lineup piece (I don't think) for either guy.  I hate to be all Debbie Downer, but this is similar to what Dombrowski inherited and he made his famous, "you try and trade them" remark.  The only guys that I think we have on our 40-man roster with good trade value are maybe Greene and Tork, and their value is lower than it should be, not to mention those are the types of players we would want to acquire in any deal.

I really think the rest of the roster is going to get you a Travis Demeritte type of return.  We're not going to be trading our way out of this problem--free agency is the only viable route to make any improvements in 2023.  

This is right, but also our views maybe colored a bit by watching Al work his "magic" over the past few years.

Our new GM may be of different stock in terms of orchestrating trades and maximizing value... the Darin Ruf for JD Davis+prospects deal being a good example. 

If the Giants could pull that off, the Tigers are capable of surprising us even with the chaff on this roster IMO

Edited by mtutiger

8 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Exactly. Maybe some of the prospects like Keith are likely to pan out, but they shouldn't limit the building out of their ML roster based on guys who haven't played in AA yet. 

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

It is certainly reasonable to say that the Tigers (or any team) need to rely on at least 2 minor leaguers a year to join the club and be a solid contributor/starter.  But the Tigers haven't had anything like this nominal track record, unfortunately.

No disrespect to Keith Colt or anybody else but I would like to see MLB level production before we anoint anyone as the next good starting ____.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1